• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The QB School - What is the RPO Slow Mesh?

Yeah, people keep talking about efficiency like it's more important than actually scoring points. It doesn't matter if you need to run a lot of plays to score if you run a lot of plays and score.

Yards per play is pretty much going to be a standard measure of how effective your offense is. Big scoring plays will increase your yards per play. We run our offense very fast which creates more drives in a game. The last two years we led the nation in number of plays run per game. I don't think there's a stat for this but I would be interested to see what our points per drive stat was compared to FBS. I bet it was pretty average

Last year for instance we were 43rd in points per game at 31.8 and Nebraska was 72nd at 28. If the pace of our offense creates an additional 1 and 1/2 drives per game that pretty much explains the difference in points per game. But it also creates an additional 1 and 1/2 drives per game that our defense is on the field.

Also points per game can be affected by defense turnovers special teams and field goal kicking. If you're just looking to highlight the efficiency of your offense that's not the best metric.

Plus teams with higher yards per play will control the ball and have higher time of possession which will help them win football games as well.

The last four years we were 112/121/130 and 74th in opponent plays per game

Last edited:
Don’t care. 70th and 115th won more games than 60th and 29th. Score points. The scoreboard doesn’t care if some blogger thinks you are efficient.

There isn’t a trophy for yards per play.

If Wake can take a bunch of 3 stars to a bowl every year by running the RPO, then do it. As soon as they recruit a team full of 4 and 5 stars I might start to care about something other than scoring more points than the other team.

I'm not suggesting that we change the base offense. But it has not been a prolific offense over the last four years. 2017 the offense was closer to being a top-level offense.

It was the 3rd best according to the “efficiency” ranking.

Wake isn’t Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama or Clemson. This offense is perfect for us. I don’t think anybody would be upset with some tweaks to short yardage or a wrinkle here or there, but no way Wake changes what they do.

skinnydeac showing off his certificate from the rjkarl school of math and statistics

skinnydeac showing off his certificate from the rjkarl school of math and statistics

Yep. It's just like using point totals in basketball. If you run and gun, you will score more points but you will also allow more points.

If you play like UVA, you will score less points but you may or may not have an efficient offense.

I don't dislike the offense but there is definitely some room to tweak it to advantage. Also agree that part of the lack of efficiency was due to decision making of our Georgia bound QB.

The argument for run and gun offense in any sport is, can the opponent do it as well as you can. Force the other team to keep up. If you know you should hang 40 on them, do they have the type of offense to match? Clemson doesn’t have a problem with it. Louisville and Syracuse have a similar style offense and they will usually be a problem, but the rest of the teams Wake face on a regular basis have a real problem playing at that pace.

we were #1 in third downs per game, #11 in punts, #86 in punts per play, #74 in punts per score

we had a ton of short drives, we lost to some pretty mediocre teams

our defensive depth was poor -- that gets magnified in fast offensive system

Then recruit more defensive depth. I’m sure that’s why Clawson adjusted the pace as injuries piled up.

Wake is scoring more points and winning more games than pretty much any time in school history. Does Wake lose some games they shouldn’t? Yeah, so does every other team without supreme talent. Does Wake win more games than almost every school with similar recruiting rankings? Probably.

The point is not that it's a bad offense or a bad choice to use. It probably is not.

The point is that you cannot just look at point total in a vacuum to analyze the offense and say it is awesome.

Pretty sure Clawson sees all of this and I am hoping for some wrinkles to make it better.

The point is not that it's a bad offense or a bad choice to use. It probably is not.

The point is that you cannot just look at point total in a vacuum to analyze the offense and say it is awesome.

Pretty sure Clawson sees all of this and I am hoping for some wrinkles to make it better.

I can agree with that. Wake isn’t “awesome” on offense, but they’re better than usual. The system isn’t perfect, but it is probably perfect for Wake.

Back