• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Record Book - Rusty LaRue

I remember that run of 1500+ yards in 3 games.
What could have been if Wake had used that offense all season.

Deacon Sig has it correct. Like a lot of Al Groh games, we passed for 300-400 yards but were always 10-14 points behind. Losing 48-35 is the same as losing 48- 7, although it was at least more interesting than the latter.

Deacon Sig has it correct. Like a lot of Al Groh games, we passed for 300-400 yards but were always 10-14 points behind. Losing 48-35 is the same as losing 48- 7, although it was at least more interesting than the latter.

Al Groh was long gone by 1993. This was Caldwell's first year.

It was nice seeing Rusty in the Bulls huddle in the last episode of The Last Dance. Great three sport athlete.

Last edited:
Lost all 3. So, basically no difference.

I will say this: as a kid in a family with season tickets on the hill, losing high scoring games was a lot more fun than losing low scoring games or getting blown out

Not sure if he still does, but at one point, Rusty had the NCAA record for completions in consecutive games, and may have had the yardage record for consecutive games as well. In 1995, WF sucked the roster was depleted, and at the end of the year, Caldwell decided to completely transform the offense and WF essentially ran the no huddle and threw on almost every down. In retrospect, it was a precursor to what football has largely become. It was fun to watch.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/wake-forest/article242317956.html

Deacs ran some 3-3-5 defense under Caldwell, though may have been later in the 90s

D gave up a ton of yards (and points)

Last edited:
'95 team was #10 in the country in passing offense, dead last in rushing offense

Always felt like Caldwell's teams ran out of gas in the 3rd/4th. We'd be up by like 20 at halftime and lose consistently. Not sure if my recollection is true.

Always felt like Caldwell's teams ran out of gas in the 3rd/4th. We'd be up by like 20 at halftime and lose consistently. Not sure if my recollection is true.
Always a lack of depth, reserves were not nearly as good as starters

We have almost always had a few good players, even exceptional players; but our weaknesses were too great to overcome. Even the Orange Bowl team was forced to play a WR at RB.

The depth that Clawson seems to be building is exceptional...at least that is what I hope.

Back