• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anti-racist resources, readings, funds and more

Kory

Reaction score
There were some posts in the police violence thread asking for readings and places to donate, so I thought I'd collect some of what was posted and some of what I've seen online as best as I can and make it a unique thread for visibility.

I welcome all contributions to improve this meager collection and I hope it helps.

Resource collections

FIRST, if you plan to purchase any books on racism in the US, please support a black-owned bookstore. Find one by clicking here.

***Anti-racism resources google doc compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker & Alyssa Klein
Includes texts that are appropriate for children on starting a conversation about anti-blackness in the US.

***Reading Towards Abolition: A Reading List on Policing, Rebellion, and the Criminalization of Blackness
Lengthy, but filled with good texts.

***31 Children’s Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism, and Resistance

Anti-racism packet compiled by Jasmine Mitchell
More informative than the ones above perhaps, reads more like a guide than a collection of texts.

Individual works/articles suggested by the OGBoards community

***What is Anti-Racism?

***Ad Week: Historic background to Minneapolis-St. Paul residents targeting Target.

***The New Inquiry: In Defense of Looting

Fund Collections

***Quick link to split your donation between 12 different groups that are anti-racist and anti-police-brutality (I encourage you to read up on the mission of each one before donating)

***Reclaim the Block's list of worthy organizations

State/Regional/Specific Funds

***National Bail Fund Network
Search by state for a bail fund near you.

***Baltimore Action Legal Team
BALT is committed to building the power of the local Movement for Black Lives. We take our direction from community-organizing groups who are on the ground, and we respect the leadership of local activists. BALT is committed to anti-racist practices and to black leadership. BALT is dedicated to politically-conscious lawyering and to using creative, collective solutions to support the Movement for Black Lives in Baltimore.

***Campaign Zero
The comprehensive platform of research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.

***George Floyd Memorial Fund
This fund is established to cover funeral and burial expenses, mental and grief counseling, lodging and travel for all court proceedings, and to assist our family in the days to come as we continue to seek justice for George. A portion of these funds will also go to the Estate of George Floyd for the benefit and care of his children and their educational fund.

***Louisville Community Bail Fund
The Louisville Community Bail Fund exists to not only bail out folks, but provide post-release support to get them from jail, fed, and to a situation of safety. LCBF also maintains a focus on preventative measures for those targeted by law enforcement and threatened with incarceration.

***Massachusetts Bail Fund
The Massachusetts Bail Fund pays up to $2,000 bail so that low-income people can stay free while they work towards resolving their case, allowing individuals, families, and communities to stay productive, together, and stable.

***Run With Maud
He was out for a jog when he was chased down, shot, and killed by two white supremacists. We must demand the justice he deserves. Call 770.800.0689 to demand justice for Ahmaud right away.

Awesome resource, Kory. Thanks for putting this together.

Don’t know why that link doesn’t work.

Just to add to this great compilation:

For those that want to understand the church's role in this, Drew Hart's (Black, Anabaptist professor) book, "Trouble I've Seen" - a look a what anti-racism looks like in the church, is free today (6/3/20) until midnight - .epub download with the coupon code HART.

https://store.mennomedia.org/Trouble-Ive-Seen-P4634.aspx

Also, Just Mercy is avaiable for a free rental throughout June

https://www.justmercyfilm.com/

NC Bail funds:

101297885_10101425939467743_69419358836752384_n.jpg

Sorry - don't know how to resize

Just to add to this great compilation:

For those that want to understand the church's role in this, Drew Hart's (Black, Anabaptist professor) book, "Trouble I've Seen" - a look a what anti-racism looks like in the church, is free today (6/3/20) until midnight - .epub download with the coupon code HART.

https://store.mennomedia.org/Trouble-Ive-Seen-P4634.aspx

Also, Just Mercy is avaiable for a free rental throughout June

https://www.justmercyfilm.com/

NC Bail funds:

101297885_10101425939467743_69419358836752384_n.jpg

Sorry - don't know how to resize

Arrestees in Greensboro would probably just prefer to be transferred to another jail.

Whenever you want to start deciding what is right and what isn't, you should think about Smokey.

Labels are often a waste.

Back