• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
There is plenty to discuss on this topic. I thought it was best to start it here, because there are so many snowflakes on the sports board who can't handle this.

Trevor Lawrence is slated to speak at an on-campus protest at Clemson. Dabo is defending a coach accused of directing the n-word at players during practice.

Iowa football players and alums went on to social media to air grievances about their long time strength coach who was fired by Kirk Ferentz.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/09/iowa-football-culture-allegations-kirk-ferentz

Plenty of other topics to discuss as well.

Sticking to Tiger footballers - Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins want Clemson to stop honoring a slave owner/slavery advocate:

I didn't see this one coming: Sawx acknowledge and verify Torii Hunter's claims of being called a... name.

and now nascar bans the confederate flag from its events!

How about how The Last Dance neglected to even mention Craig Hodges?

Yeah. But they didn’t mention a lot of role players.

I mean, we heard a lot about Steve Kerr since he was a try hard "best shooter on the team." So was Craig Hodges, though on a different team.

and now nascar bans the confederate flag from its events!

In some ways that may be the most remarkable sports news to come out of all this. Confederate flags were everywhere at NASCAR events for decades, for NASCAR to eliminate them is definitely a sign of changing times, and a changing culture. Of course, given NASCAR's plummeting ratings and attendance, it can also be taken as symbolic of how NASCAR's traditional redneck fan base has largely abandoned them.

I mean, we heard a lot about Steve Kerr since he was a try hard "best shooter on the team." So was Craig Hodges, though on a different team.

There was a lot of Steve Kerr because he hit a championship winning shot, one five championships as a player, and three as a coach.

He played more minutes and scored more points than Hodges for their respective championship teams as well. Even had a better 3pt%.

I see where you’re coming from but if I wasn’t for Hodges activism, I wouldn’t be upset he wasn’t included.

Kind of like that time LeBron stood up against horrendous civil injustices in China.

No wait, he took the money and ran.

Kind of like that time LeBron stood up against horrendous civil injustices in China.

No wait, he took the money and ran.

Kind of like how you stood up for me when RJ unloaded some of the most noxious anti-semitism that I’ve ever heard against me the other day?

I know LeBron fucked up on China. Not good at all. But he’s been vocal and poignant on these voting issues where I think he can get traction.

Also he tweeted at Trump a couple years ago leading with “U bum” and that’s GOAT status.

I know LeBron fucked up on China. Not good at all. But he’s been vocal and poignant on these voting issues where I think he can get traction.

Also he tweeted at Trump a couple years ago leading with “U bum” and that’s GOAT status.

It's true. And I don't fault him for it, to be honest. In a decade we have gone from almost uniformly asking athletes to "shut up and dribble" to expecting them to go above and beyond the majority of our elected officials in terms of advocating for various justice causes. LeBron has done more off the court than his critics probably ever will and they hate him for it.

Yeah, Lebron fucked up on China, but I don't expect any American who isn't a politician or CEO to be particularly savvy in that respect.

He's doing good work domestically. The prospect of the NBA season going right up to the early voting period and NFL players being more involved politically will make the election that much more interesting.

I'm just waiting for the day when these dudes seize the means of production.

I'm just waiting for the day when these dudes seize the means of production.

A players/fan owned league wouldn't look any different to the average fan.

Man, if more college sports coaches step up like this...

It's true. And I don't fault him for it, to be honest. In a decade we have gone from almost uniformly asking athletes to "shut up and dribble" to expecting them to go above and beyond the majority of our elected officials in terms of advocating for various justice causes. LeBron has done more off the court than his critics probably ever will and they hate him for it.

Yeah if he didn’t contact the commissioner in an attempt to get a GM suspended then maybe I would be on board with this.

Back