• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 Republican National Convention Thread

You missed the game. Take a sip everytime he lies (not recommended with liquor). I skipped the whole speech.

Pretty obvious they wanted/expected Bernie to be the Democratic nominee and now every shot is at the Biden-Bernie platform instead of straight at Bernie. Anyone who can think won’t buy this shit but unfortunately that still might not win the Democrats this election.

You mean like in 2012 when about 6 of Obama's cabinet spoke at the Democratic national Convention?

dunning1.thumb.png.5851f35cfa5ccac9c3659c78122ff8b9.png

Now that the Conventions are over, we'll have to wait a few days and see if either candidate gets much of a bump in the polls. Typically both candidates get a significant bump right after their conventions, but with the lower ratings and everything else that's going on in the nation and world this year - and the fact that nearly everyone at this point has already made up their minds - I'm not at all sure that either candidate will improve their standing very much. And that would be good news for Biden, for it is Trump who really needed to start turning it around with this convention.

Now that the Conventions are over, we'll have to wait a few days and see if either candidate gets much of a bump in the polls. Typically both candidates get a significant bump right after their conventions, but with the lower ratings and everything else that's going on in the nation and world this year - and the fact that nearly everyone at this point has already made up their minds - I'm not at all sure that either candidate will improve their standing very much. And that would be good news for Biden, for it is Trump who really needed to start turning it around with this convention.

The convention bump has been muted for several cycles now. The last big bump was for McCain after Palin's break out before she broke down and Lehman Bros.

Any bump won't be distinguished from reactions to the events in Kenosha and the athlete strikes.

Has anybody seen the interview that Anderson Cooper did with Scott Walker? When Walker started blaming Biden for the violence at urban protests, Cooper started asking him questions about how could Biden be responsible when Trump was POTUS. Instead of answering Cooper's questions, Walker literally leaned forward and disconnected his camera to end the interview. Funny stuff.

Last edited:
That's awesome.

The CNN fact checking guy was great. I saw that live. He had to speed through the lies to get them all in.

I quickly skimmed the other thread but didn't see any mention or discussions over CNN's 'Fact Checks' during the DNC.

Weird

That's awesome.

The CNN fact checking guy was great. I saw that live. He had to speed through the lies to get them all in.

He's a good Twitter follow and basically has the worst job in the world -- fact check Trump any time he speaks publicly/is interviewed.

not that it matters because everything is so fucking tribal but the cognitive dissonance to required to support the wide range of campaign themes is staggering

make america great again > keep america great > america is a disaster rn > only president trump represents LAW AND ORDER > biden's america is lawless > everybody breaking the law rn while trump is president

I quickly skimmed the other thread but didn't see any mention or discussions over CNN's 'Fact Checks' during the DNC.

Weird

Why would that be on the GOP convention thread?

You should check your numbers before clicking the post button.

Dale addressed the DNC fact check. He did do them on twitter but noted last night that Donald told more lies in his acceptance speech alone than total lies he could verify total from the DNC

The 'other thread' = DNC convention thread but I thought that was obvious.

Thanks for the advice - Silly me for trying to multi-task and actually do some work while being unproductive here.

The 'other thread' = DNC convention thread but I thought that was obvious.

Thanks for the advice - Silly me for trying to multi-task and actually do some work while being unproductive here.

So...maybe...the differential is because Biden just doesn't lie as much. Trump had 6300 lies in just 4 days. Where as Biden only had 543, so by comparison, Biden's lies are a non story.

Dale addressed the DNC fact check. He did do them on twitter but noted last night that Donald told more lies in his acceptance speech alone than total lies he could verify total from the DNC

Unsurprising.

I watched both.

Of course these conventions aren’t expected to be complete or careful presentations of history or current events. It’s expected they will be biased in their presentations. But I felt most of what I heard in the Democratic was true or not false. On balance, the Republican convention speakers were dishonest, with Trump leading the way.

Of course, one of the main reasons a pathological liar has been able to take over the party is they decided years ago to prefer power over truth. Lying, to the detriment of our nation, to gain power. And so they made themselves fit for our conman-in-chief.

How his thing is even close is mind boggling.

Oh yeah, 90% pubs just haven't been offered a good enough alternative to a lying grifting racist populist with no work ethic or basic understanding of government, law, civics, diplomacy, or history who surrounds himself with sycophants and ignores scientists, doctors, engineers, and intelligence experts but drops everything for calls from despots and dictators.

It's hard being a Republican, so hard. It's just too scary to let taxes be raised a few percentage points on the people they admire and aspire to be, and to let some poors get a little help, no no

Back