• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 DNC Thread - VP Kamala; speakers announced

Efux-A3XgAAqZkG

:rofl:

Yeah, my bad sister who watches Fox 24/7 despises both Michelle and Barack. I mean, okay, you hate their politics, but to hate them so intensely personally? The Obamas both come from working class backgrounds and then did what they were supposed to in order to achieve the American Dream - they got college and graduate degrees and good jobs. I mean it's not like I hate anyone in the Bush family personally (well Cheney I do kinda hate). And yes, my sister loves everyone in the Trump family.

It's not just that they're black, but that they're black and successful and widely admired, as you mentioned. Many white conservatives are all for up-by-your-bootstraps, Horatio Alger, seeking the American Dream stuff, as long as it's not done by blacks who rise higher socially and economically than they do. It definitely seems to kill their hero Trump that the Obamas are not only accepted, but loved, by many of the "good people" who approval he obviously craves. He was complaining today after her speech about how much the fake news media loves her and always gives her a pass, unlike him. Poor Donald.

One of these times something is going to hit, like a compromising picture is going to be true and it’s some sex slave that was abducted when they were 15, or some random shit like a poisonous plant is going to cure and prevent coronavirus and when that day happens all of you are going to be fucking owned, forget the million times that it was pure bullshit and it didn’t pan out, all you need is that one to live in that glorious moment!

Glad they got Ady Barkan in there. He managed to give a solid speech on health care endorsing Biden even though he doesn't agree with Biden's plan.

Did everyone but me know that AOC was going to nominate Bernie? I mean what’s the sense in that?
Better said, where’s the unity in that?

Did everyone but me know that AOC was going to nominate Bernie? I mean what’s the sense in that?

Yeah. I didn't know that's what she was doing before she did it. I thought it was fine to have a speaker or two represent Bernie before the roll call. But not AOC. Having one of the young heavy hitters do it on a night in which young leaders gave the combined keynote was not a good move. And the only other notable progressive speaker besides AOC was Ady Barkan. Republicans got more time than Progressives. Not a good look.

Any candidate that meets the delegate threshold is "nominated", that's just the process.

The roll call should be done from each home state going forward. So much better than in a convention hall.

The roll call should be done from each home state going forward. So much better than in a convention hall.

Agreed. Seems like the analysts I'm seeing and reading agree. It was nice to see so much of the country. The people seemed like real local Americans who work for the party. In the convention hall they look like people who paid to be there. That may not be fair, but that's how it comes off to me.

Colin Powell's speech was excellent. Now that I know Donald Trump has yellow cake uranium at Miralago I definitely think we should invade.

Veronica Escobar is another person that I wish got more speaking time than just endorsing her state. NH's governor likes hand gestures.

Disagree about AOC. She is the bridge forward from Bernie to, hopefully, the future. He embraced her early and she "paid him back" by endorsing his candidacy even in his defeat. The "she only gets a minute" stuff, of which I was one, makes sense in hindsight.

The "only one minute" also makes more sense once we saw what the overall format for the convention was. Sure she could've been slotted a little bit later, but it felt like she got roughly the same amount of time as plenty other Democrats including Clyburn, Klobuchar, and Masto. When it was in a vacuum "I only got one minute!" seemed ridiculous but fits in with how the non-keynote speakers had their time split out too right?

1 minute is fine. She usually only needs 280 characters.

Back