• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 DNC Thread - VP Kamala; speakers announced

Disagree about AOC. She is the bridge forward from Bernie to, hopefully, the future. He embraced her early and she "paid him back" by endorsing his candidacy even in his defeat. The "she only gets a minute" stuff, of which I was one, makes sense in hindsight.

Ok; but doesn't it leave a bad taste in young Dems mouths who want to see everyone get behind Biden? I mean she could have said something positive about the ticket but chose not to.

And Bridge to the future? in my opinion if the Dems are counting on her to be their "future", the Biden/Harris ticket might be their last Admin for a while.

I thought it was fucking great. Like her or not, she is true to herself and what she gets behind, and she is the only honest one of the lot

Ok; but doesn't it leave a bad taste in young Dems mouths who want to see everyone get behind Biden? I mean she could have said something positive about the ticket but chose not to.

And Bridge to the future? in my opinion if the Dems are counting on her to be their "future", the Biden/Harris ticket might be their last Admin for a while.

Can't speak for young dems since I'm not one but your first thought is... confusing.

As for your second, she may or may not be the democratic party's future but with the changing demographics in this country she very well could be. Its why trump has gone beyond the cheating he did in 2016 (accepting foreign interference) and he's now standing in public asking foreign governments for help, admitting out loud he would accept foreign help, dismantling the post office to ensure democrats can't vote by mail, and good with local and state gop closing polling locations in communities of color. Oh, he also said he deserves a 3rd term because his first term was harmed by word of the Russian interference that he accepted leaking.

You are trying really hard to find a reason not to vote dem and get rid of this guy. He's corrupt, admitting it out loud, and already telling anyone that will listen the only way he can lose is through voter fraud. Anyone that votes for him or does not vote for Biden is complicite in his corruption.

The "only one minute" also makes more sense once we saw what the overall format for the convention was. Sure she could've been slotted a little bit later, but it felt like she got roughly the same amount of time as plenty other Democrats including Clyburn, Klobuchar, and Masto. When it was in a vacuum "I only got one minute!" seemed ridiculous but fits in with how the non-keynote speakers had their time split out too right?

Not really a fan of that aspect of the convention vision. IMO, the Dems need to build a bench, which means there needs to be more featured speakers that can run for many elected offices, or the Presidency in the future. To me, a good convention is if one or, ideally, several people who they general public is less familiar with gets praised for a good speech. Dems come off as if they are trying to clear the 2024 or 2028 field for either Michelle or Kamala.

Can't speak for young dems since I'm not one but your first thought is... confusing.

As for your second, she may or may not be the democratic party's future but with the changing demographics in this country she very well could be.

The latest projection I’ve seen is that white people will make up less than 50% of the population in 2045. 5-18 year olds are already 51% white. In 2045, AOC will be the same age Kamala is right now and a senior politician. She will probably be a House leader or senator from NY by then if not President already. She’s definitely the future of the party.

I was disappointed that the DNC hasn’t featured more 18-25 year olds. They’ve featured plenty of non-politicians but few if any have been that young. I’d like to see them feature teenage activists, organizers, and influencers. Maybe they’re thinking young people don’t watch the DNC but I think it’s a mistake not using the new format to broaden the audience.

It’s a joke seeing media call Kamala a new generation knowing that she’s older than most of Gen X, all millennials, and almost half of Gen Z is eligible to vote.

The latest projection I’ve seen is that white people will make up less than 50% of the population in 2045. 5-18 year olds are already 51% white. In 2045, AOC will be the same age Kamala is right now and a senior politician. She will probably be a House leader or senator from NY by then if not President already. She’s definitely the future of the party.

I was disappointed that the DNC hasn’t featured more 18-25 year olds. They’ve featured plenty of non-politicians but few if any have been that young. I’d like to see them feature teenage activists, organizers, and influencers. Maybe they’re thinking young people don’t watch the DNC but I think it’s a mistake not using the new format to broaden the audience.

It’s a joke seeing media call Kamala a new generation knowing that she’s older than most of Gen X, all millennials, and almost half of Gen Z is eligible to vote.

I want to continue this discussion on another thread, but I honestly believe that the Democratic Party establishment doesnt view AOC (or any of "the squad") as representative of the parties future, because the party wants to move away from coastal/urban control.

As much as I hate to ever agree with ChrisL, Dem Party leverage is held by suburban moderates - progressive swings in Queens and Brooklyn are mostly inconsequential.

i don't agree with that analysis

lots of younger urban liberals, wall street, other financial institutions, etc. with coastal/big city roots that have more sway than the heartland suburbs

It's a weird analysis. Much of the energy that Democrats need to harness is in the cities. Much of the GOTV efforts are focused on swing state cities. With respect to AOC, once a politician becomes a national figure, it really doesn't matter where they're from. People don't think of Pelosi as a San Francisco politician. They don't think of Biden as a Delaware politician. Same with Bernie and Vermont.

I'll take AOC on the left any day over Laura Loomer and the Georgia QANON lady on the right.

Strong start so far. Getting away from a parade of speeches has been a great move. It's less of a DNC than a people's convention at least first hour or so.

These heartfelt testimonials are so much better than politicians standing up on a stage telling us about these people.

Lots of young people today to counter the olds from yesterday.

Last edited:
Strong pull by the DNC to land Kerry Washington.

Will “Fight Song” be played before or after Hillary’s speech tonight?

Shouldn't Chris Christie be on a beach somewhere? Why tf is he on CNN

Obama is so fucking smooth.

He’s pulling off desperate rage really well. It’s like he split the difference with Luther the anger translator.

I’m watching the Crooked Media feed and even his former speechwriter is stunned by his tone.

Back