• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 DNC Thread - VP Kamala; speakers announced

Regarding reactions to the speech, I have no doubt that Biden benefited from some significant lowering of expectations, aided in no small part by Trump's campaign.

I think this point is under-discussed. Trump set up Biden as someone with mental degradation. When the actual Biden coherently strings a few sentences together, he looks good. When he has a decent speech, he looks amazing.

In short, it's a stupid strategy by the Trump campaign. Don't lower the expectations bar for someone who is not known as a great public speaker anyway. You're just doing Biden a favor.

well it's like what happened in the 2016 debates. I've posted before that the expectations were so low for Trump that basically he just didn't have to say the N word or literally take a shit on stage to be perceived as the winner by the media because Hillary might have faltered on an answer or tow.

[h=1]I never thought I would leave the Republican Party, but I'm voting Biden-Harris this fall[/h][h=2]I watched the Democratic convention without a Republican lens and found an embrace of justice and diversity. Trump's convention will be a contrast.[/h]
Four and a half years ago I considered myself a Republican, but then Donald Trump became the Republican nominee for president. Once his nomination was secured and it was clear the GOP would welcome his rhetoric with open arms, the party as I knew it was long gone.
This is the first year that I watched the Democratic National Convention without a Republican lens and found myself agreeing with the issues, speakers and most of all the positive rhetoric. The Democrats spoke of love and family, showing just how personal this election is for so many. Despite the doom and gloom that surrounds us, somehow the DNC was able to showcase the best of America and convey that the Joe Biden-Kamala Harris ticket is fighting to not only restore America but to make her more equal and just for all.

It certainly wasn’t easy and the backlash was awful, but four years later I know I did the right thing. While many public Never Trumpers went on to support the president, I was steadfast and remain so today. I believe that the Republican Party has truly lost its way and that it is on the wrong side of history. What’s more, the Democrats have welcomed me and other former Republicans with open arms and have shown truly what a big tent party they can be.

But, after a week of watching virtual convention speeches, I couldn’t be more hopeful that on Election Day, America will do the right thing and vote like our lives depend on it. I recognized just how many of my views of the Democratic Party were shaped by the talking points of the GOP and just how wrong that was. Over the past four years, my eyes have been opened and my views forever changed. I have come to realize that all along, I aligned more with the moderate wing of the Democratic Party.
I used to have some friends who joked that I was a closet Democrat or a bleeding heart liberal because I did so much community service and volunteer work, as though service to others was a bad thing. Well, I guess they were right — deep down, the Democratic Party has always aligned more with my values; it just took me a while to get there.

That the Democrats chose to highlight systemic racism and domestic violence at their convention shows how committed they are to fighting injustice and making America more beautiful by embracing its diversity. The telling contrast this week will be the Republican National Convention showcasing the party's white male privilege while touting the greatness of America — without a nod to the cultural shift taking place in our country.
In the America of President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, women are photo ops and political props as they are continuously degraded and objectified and white privilege is glorified. In the America of Biden and Harris, women will have real seats at the table, and they will include women of color. Our country must value different voices and the perspective they bring, and the Biden-Harris ticket will do just that. What’s more, it will bring decorum and professionalism to the Oval Office — something that has been missing since Trump arrived. It’s high time to rid the White House of sexist and racist rot.

Outside of Alabama Sen. Doug Jones in 2018, this is the first time I’ve donated to a Democratic candidate. Most important, this November, I am proud to be casting my ballot for a Democratic presidential ticket for the first time.
In many ways 2020 has been a nightmare of a year, but in November we have a chance to wake up from the nightmare and voters have the chance to restore an American dream rooted in justice and equality for all.
Independent Ashley Pratte, a former Republican, is a communications strategist and a board member of Republican Women for Progress. Previously she was director of media relations and a consultant for Better for America. Follow her on Twitter: @AshPratte

With all these "decent' Pubs voting for Biden and Democrats, its seems like our generational party realignment is well underway

GOP becomes the nativist "conservative values" party
DEM becomes the party of moderates and limousine liberals

A third progressive, labor party needs to emerge and cater to the rest of the electorate. Not this year, but hopefully in the next cycle. Its definitely a long shot but there hasn't been a better chance during my lifetime.

With all these "decent' Pubs voting for Biden and Democrats, its seems like our generational party realignment is well underway

A third progressive, labor party needs to emerge and cater to the rest of the electorate. Not this year, but hopefully in the next cycle. Its definitely a long shot but there hasn't been a better chance during my lifetime.

A progressive party would have to at least split the black vote to have any shot, and thats a chicken-egg problem because the mostly monolithic black primary vote requires a promise of electability.

Divide and conquer is the best strategy for white supremacists going forward and here we have two people actively rooting for it.

If you do this you will have the next trump clone as president

Divide and conquer is the best strategy for white supremacists going forward and here we have two people actively rooting for it.

wealthy moderate Republicans and leftists are at complete odds, and all the guilt and shaming in the world won't change that.

A progressive party would have to at least split the black vote to have any shot, and thats a chicken-egg problem because the mostly monolithic black primary vote requires a promise of electability.

The way you talk about black voters feels pretty gross, just FYI.

wealthy moderate Republicans and leftists are at complete odds, and all the guilt and shaming in the world won't change that.

White nationalism is a threat to everyone. White leftists will struggle to attract voters of color until they prioritize racial injustice over class issues, or better stated prioritizing everyone over themselves.

The way you talk about black voters feels pretty gross, just FYI.

It really is and it oozes through in his contempt for me.

Again the problem with the two party system is that our first past the post single member district elections basically guarantee there will only be two parties. I’m a big proponent of alternative voting methods to fix this - the best of the current bunch being ranked choice. While it has its own flaws too (people get elected frequently without being the majority’s top choice) it has the effort address the two party system

White nationalism is a threat to everyone. White leftists will struggle to attract voters of color until they prioritize racial injustice over class issues, or better stated prioritizing everyone over themselves.

It really is and it oozes through in his contempt for me.

I just said that a progressive party would have to at least split the black vote, which would require it attracting black voters. So we agree on that. As to being gross, where have I said something derisive or insulting towards black people? I've just referenced general voting patterns. Why is that problematic? Very often we point out that black voters dont generally vote for Republicans, why is that less problematic than pointing out that black voters dont vote for risky candidates?

Any liberal or progressive political movement in America rests on the strength of black voter support. Thats just the truth

Any liberal or progressive political movement in America rests on the strength of black voter support. Thats just the truth

OK. So why don't you think a progressive political movement would get support from enough Black voters? For example, Pressley, Tlaib, and Omar come from disproportionately Black districts.

OK. So why don't you think a progressive political movement would get support from enough Black voters? For example, Pressley, Tlaib, and Omar come from disproportionately Black districts.

I don't think house primaries are comparable to presidential elections, and I don't think the black southern statewide votes are as open to progressive candidates as individual cities are. Do you think Rashida Tlaib could be elected in South Carolina? Based on conversations i've had very recently on this board, I don't think she would stand a chance.

Why South Carolina?

Regarding you reading contemptuousness in my posts, I think you and I are very similar in our sanctimoniousness. You being intellectually sanctimonious and I being morally sanctimonious. It's in that context that I believe we feud so often. As for being contemptuous or resentful of black voters in general, I resent the Democratic establishment and black voter support happens to correlate with that establishment. There are plenty of establishments made up of white people whom I also resent. Projecting racial animosity into my resentment towards Democratic primary results is an unfair stretch that you've now made multiple times.

Why South Carolina?

Doesn't South Carolina set the table for the southern democratic primary? I've seen probably dozens of opinions basically crediting South Carolina and Jim Clyburn for Joe Biden's primary victory.

Doesn't South Carolina set the table for the southern democratic primary? I've seen probably dozens of opinions basically crediting South Carolina and Jim Clyburn for Joe Biden's primary victory.

SC went for Jackson in 88, Edwards in 04, Obama in 08. None are as progressive as you’d like in 2020 but they were the more progressive candidate at the time.

Back