• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 DNC Thread - VP Kamala; speakers announced

classism, which to borrow a phrase, just "oozes out of you".

Do you think there is a strong undercurrent of white supremacy in the current nativist wing of the GOP? I do, and that seems to be what Ph was referencing.

Do you think there is a strong undercurrent of white supremacy in the current nativist wing of the GOP? I do, and that seems to be what Ph was referencing.

That's a strawman argument! Of course there is. There's a "strong undercurrent" of white supremacy in the Republican party period, that doesnt make all of them "white supremacists", and why would you single out poor people? It's so fucking insulting, and it bewilders me how you all dont realize that.

That's a strawman argument! Of course there is. There's a "strong undercurrent" of white supremacy in the Republican party period, that doesnt make all of them "white supremacists", and why would you single out poor people? It's so fucking insulting, and it bewilders me how you all dont realize that.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to equate “nativist GOP” with white supremacy. It sounds like your problem is with Brasky’s point about poor whites, so why are you arguing with Ph?

Also, you talk about black voters as a monolith but then fly off the handle when someone generalizes about nativist GOP voters?

I don't know if it's MDMH not reading or if it's gaslighting, but it is definitely exhuasting.

How the fuck else am I supposed to read this?
I also forgot to mention that the nativist GOP party, who would lose their moderate corporatists in this scenario, might be willing to work with the Progressive Party on economic and tax policy. Without the constant misinformation of the GOP corporate leadership poor whites could possibly realize one day how slighted they are in our current economic system.

Brasky specifically described both parties breaking apart suggesting the nativist part of the GOP might be willing to work with Progressives. If anything, MHMD should be mad that Brasky equated poor whites with nativists.

oh fuck you. you're not gaslighting me - Brasky's post specifically referenced "poor whites", and even the worst fucking translation of nativists doesnt equal white supremacists. I've been saying this horseshit party is just turning into an elitist middle class party that wants to marginalize everyone else. You all are just trading racism for classism, and yeah i'm really fucking contemptuous of classism.

That's a real generous reading of nativist. Yeah, the GOP is fine with all the Black and brown people who are US citizens. They just hate the immigrants.

The fuck are you going on about?

Pretty sure he's calling me uppity. He's using me as a vector for his contempt for Black voters.

I don't think this turns the two-party system on its head. I think what it does is divide the vote to the left of the Republican Party into two factions which allows Republicans to gain a better foothold in previously safe Democrat districts. The Democratic Party wouldn't necessarily have to move left to work with the Progressive Party, they'd just hand the GOP a better chance at winning some of these elections.

As long as you have winner take all single member districts, there is not a very high likelihood that any third party has a legitimate chance at gaining widespread approval and if they do succeed in doing so then the very same winner take all districts would force realignment among the parties back into a two-party system. So you may end up with a realignment as far as ideology goes but you'd end back up with two parties. So maybe the end result is a little better after this process but you're not likely to get much beyond two relatively centrist parties in contrast with one another unless you end up with two increasingly polarized options as a foil with less political certainty from the center.

Good post.

The neo-conservative argument for illegal immigration was "we need undocumented latin american people here to pick our strawberries for under minimum wage, who wont draw government benefits" Those are the Republicans you all are so fucking welcoming of. Its the same fucking white pricks, except yours have college degrees to rationalize their quiet racism. Thats it. Thats the difference thats so goddamn meaningful. You get quiet, calculated, under the the table racism, or loud idiots giving Bannon money to build a wall.

The neo-conservative argument for illegal immigration was "we need undocumented latin american people here to pick our strawberries for under minimum wage, who wont draw government benefits" Those are the Republicans you all are so fucking welcoming of. Its the same fucking white pricks, except yours have college degrees to rationalize their quiet racism. Thats it. Thats the difference thats so goddamn meaningful. You get quiet, calculated, under the the table racism, or loud idiots giving Bannon money to build a wall.

Who are you talking about? It's hard to keep up with the broad generalizations you make and the broad generalizations you get angry about.

I really have no idea what this post is responding to.

Take a break dude.

All of the 3rd party schemes out of progressives would serve only one purpose. It would allow a Republican minority that already benefits from the US electoral system to entrench power for even longer and put in more impediments to improving things when and if they are out of power.

Having power is everything in government, and if you feel that you are having to compromise too much, then it means that your ideas aren't generating enough votes on their own, but shared power or being even a part of a coalition is better than not being in power.

Pretty sure he's calling me uppity. He's using me as a vector for his contempt for Black voters.

Fuck you, elitist. You cant cover for your classist bullshit by suddenly pretending to be the only black person in the world. You represent assholes, thats about it. Never in a million years would I take your hateful dismissive condescension to represent Black americans. I work with a school building full of wonderful black teachers making 15/hr to work with special needs children and you're not worthy to lick their fucking shoes.

Fuck you, elitist. You cant cover for your classist bullshit by suddenly pretending to be the only black person in the world. You represent assholes, thats about it. Never in a million years would I take your hateful dismissive condescension to represent Black americans. I work with a school building full of wonderful black teachers making 15/hr to work with special needs children and you're not worthy to lick their fucking shoes.

This is pretty fucked up dude.

I really have no idea what this post is responding to.

Take a break dude.

If you all are going to bullshit about nativism and pick and choose which Republicans are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones, maybe you could do a little bit more digging beyond just Trump support.

If you all are going to bullshit about nativism and pick and choose which Republicans are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones, maybe you could do a little bit more digging beyond just Trump support.

Who was picking and choosing which republicans are the good ones?

Who was picking and choosing which republicans are the good ones?

Thats the whole discussion over the hypothetical Republicans moving to the Democratic Party in 2020, vs the "nativists" being left behind.

In our current discussion, those "nativists" are assumed to be white supremacists, while the Republicans who just decided to vote for Biden are...?

I don’t think most of the republicans who vote for Biden this year are going to stick around voting for Dems after Trump is gone. Once their favored policies have a nicer package (like Tom Cotten or Nikki Haley) they’ll head back to the R side. So they aren’t really relevant to a discussion of a hypothetical third party that would take at least a decade or two to get any momentum

Back