• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 DNC Thread - VP Kamala; speakers announced

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Official press release:
Anchored in Milwaukee, 2020 Democratic National Convention will be a “Convention Across America”

Anchored every night in Milwaukee, the Democratic National Convention will include four nights of programming from August 17-20, 2020. The overall production of the convention’s program—including the satellite broadcasts—will be led by nine-time Emmy-award winning producer Ricky Kirshner. Kirshner has served as the Executive Producer of the Tony Awards since 2004, the Super Bowl Halftime Show—the most-watched television event of the year—since 2007, and has worked on every Democratic National Convention since 1992.

At the convention, Democrats will officially nominate Vice President Joe Biden as the Democratic nominee for president. Through multiple formats and mediums, it will also celebrate the promise of America by featuring the people and their stories that represent the strength and collective humanity of our nation and demonstrate that Vice President Biden is the leader the country needs right now—with the experience, steady hand, and compassion to lead us out of the crisis of the last four years, and strengthen our nation for all Americans.

I hope they downplay the Bubba and Hillary Clinton presence as much as humanly possible and tell Joe to keep to the short and sweet script.

Agree. Zero Hillary , a little bit of Bill, and huge chunks to Obama and Biden being best of buds

No reason for the Clintons to be personally involved. Need Michelle Obama as well. I think she and Dr. Biden were close.

Michelle Obama has just about the highest favorable/unfavorable split anywhere close to politics in America. Would be great to have her talk.

Michelle Obama has just about the highest favorable/unfavorable split anywhere close to politics in America. Would be great to have her talk.

That’s a no-brainer. She should be a keynote completely separate from Barack.

Kamala announced as the VP nominee.

DNC speakers announced.
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/9012...speak-during-the-convention-and-who-might-not

Monday: Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, former Ohio Gov. John Kasich (a Republican who ran against Donald Trump in the 2016 GOP primary) and former first lady Michelle Obama
Tuesday: Former acting Attorney General Sally Yates, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, former President Bill Clinton and Jill Biden, the candidate's spouse.
Wednesday: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, former President Barack Obama and the yet-unnamed vice presidential nominee.
Thursday: New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg, California Sen. Kamala Harris, the Biden family and the presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
Who's missing: They could still get added to the lineup, but some notable Democrats are not in the initial rundown.
They include two women rumored to have been considered as vice presidential candidates: former national security adviser Susan Rice and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams. (Other possible VP picks are in the lineup, but they could easily be moved into the running mate's speaking slot if they are chosen.)
Several of Biden's primary rivals are in the program, but the roles of other notable candidates remain to be seen, like former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, former housing Secretary Julián Castro and tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang. Yang expressed his disappointment after the announcement.

i'm sorry, did you mean "Monday: We the People" and "Wednesday: A More Perfect Union"?

Ugh, was hoping the Clintons would be completely excluded. Also, no Ayanna Pressley.

Interesting to see Kasich included. I'm a fan.

I would be happy for the Clinton's to step out of the limelight. Shame AP not involved. She is impressive.

I’m disappointed it’s only two hours a night and there are so few speaking slots.

I don't have anything in particular against Whitmer, but Inslee is a better governor for that slot IMO.

ho, hum, I called it back in April

Biden is gonna pick, Harris. Intersectionality is emotionally important for today's Dems. And she's good in that department. Also, Biden needs an attack dog in order to try to remain above the fray and to try to present himself as a unifier; and so, her task during the campaign will be to attack Trump ruthlessly and relentlessly. She has shown that she can do this, at least well enough to impress Dem voters.

true, not much of an accomplishment but it's better than most of you did, ho-hum

well, lubes, you can now go back to your favorite preoccupation, discussing the rearrangement of the deckchairs on your Titanic

true, not much of an accomplishment but it's better than most of you did, ho-hum

well, lubes, you can now go back to your favorite preoccupation, discussing the rearrangement of the deckchairs on your Titanic

I love this metaphor. Conservatism and the GOP are the ice berg!

Back