• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Swofford Announces Plan to Retire as ACC Commissioner

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score

All in for Michael Kelly.

Doug Stamper was pretty effective

michael-kelly-166126_768x1024.png

Most candidates will turn it down unless they can move the headquarters out of Greensboro and into a city with first class talent.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the ACC now that Swofford as officially announced this retirement date. This has been rumored for years. If current ACC employees are considered, I'd put Amy Yakola as the number one candidate. But I'm not so sure that will be the way this goes. Last week, the ACC announced that the university presidents are now the board of directors of the ACC, which I'm sure was a move to create a way to name the new commish.

ESPN now has so much power in in league. I'm almost certain, they will have a say in the new hire. And that the league office is moving out of Grandover soon.

Bernadette McGlade will be on the short list.

She is from NC, played hoops at UNC, was the GT AD, then Senior Associate ACC Commissioner under Swofford, and has now been the A-10 Commissioner for 12 years. McGlade has been on several key and influential NCAA committees, including the men's and women's basketball selection committees. She also checks a box.

https://atlantic10.com/news/2019/7/1/211806266.aspx

Last edited:
“This person has connections to the area and has an incredibly strong resume with lots of relevant experience. But also AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR!!!11!”

She is from NC, played hoops at UNC, was the GT AD, then Senior Associate ACC Commissioner under Swofford, and has now been the A-10 Commissioner for 12 years. McGlade has been on several key and influential NCAA committees, including the men's and women's basketball selection committees. She also checks a box.

She certainly checks a lot of boxes. A-10 trying to keep her, with the extension to 2024. I suspect the ACC could afford to buy out her remaining years.

“This person has connections to the area and has an incredibly strong resume with lots of relevant experience. But also AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR!!!11!”

Seriously. “This person is highly qualified for this job but she’ll only get picked because she’s a woman. It’s so hard to be a man.”

That u*NC hegemony must continue!

McGlade was not Athletic Director at Georgia Tech.

McGlade was not Athletic Director at Georgia Tech.

She was women's basketball coach there. Also she was both Assistant and later Associate AD at Georgia Tech.

She has a great resume, but should the ACC have another Commissioner with direct ties to u*NC?

Oh great! 25 more years of a heel homer being in charge of the conference.

Back