• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Swofford Announces Plan to Retire as ACC Commissioner

McGlade is also 62, so I would guess she's a little older than what they're looking for. Swofford was 49 when he got the job.

Greg Sankey was 51 when he got the SEC job in 2015. Kevin Warren was 56 when he got the B1G job last year. Bob Bowlsby was 60 when he got the Big XII job in 2012, by contrast.

She might be a "bridge" for 3-7 years if the Covid mess makes it hard to hire. Also a way to break the white male string.

From her side, would she prefer to stay where she is and retire from there or does she want to cap her career running a P6 conference?

We just made a homerun basketball coach hire in the middle of a pandemic and you're suggesting we might hire someone as a stopgap to run the conference because of a disease that the Director of the NAIAD said we're going to have a vaccine for in 7 months ?

BTW, Swofford's not retiring for a year.

We just made a homerun basketball coach hire in the middle of a pandemic and you're suggesting we might hire someone as a stopgap to run the conference because of a disease that the Director of the NAIAD said we're going to have a vaccine for in 7 months ?

It takes a few years to fully rate coaches and recruiting classes. Forbes appears better than the last two Wake coaches. But that is a low standard.

I don't believe the 7 months vaccine. It's propaganda/hype.

It will take a while (probably years) to get things back to normal even after an effective vaccine is developed.

Currie was dealing with a disaster in progress. Something had to be done. Wake fans were voting with their feet by not going to Wake basketball games. That was also affecting football and Deacon Club.

Maybe the ACC will hire the first female P5 commissioner. Its well past time. Bring her in, just expect that she would serve less than 10 years.

I have no idea why you're digging in on this. People have been biding their time waiting for Swofford to retire for a decade and you want to hire someone who will be 63 when she takes over. She's undoubtedly otherwise qualified, but maybe look into some other women candidates if that's your thing.

I have no idea why you're digging in on this. People have been biding their time waiting for Swofford to retire for a decade and you want to hire someone who will be 63 when she takes over. She's undoubtedly otherwise qualified, but maybe look into some other women candidates if that's your thing.

What's the deal with the ageist attitude?

We have a 77 year-old challenging a 74 year-old for POTUS. I think a 63 year-old can adeptly handle the ACC Commissioner's job for up to 8 to 10 years.

Last edited:
Or you can hire a 53-year old and let them do the job for 15-20 years.

Or you can hire a 53-year old and let them do the job for 15-20 years.

The way Wellman handled Wake basketball?

Times are changing. I don't want to hire a 52 year old person in '21 and then be stuck with the 62 year old version of that person in '31.

I'd rather make this level in change of direction now and be in the position to make another change in 5 years, plus or minus a few. I'm not sure anybody knows what college sports will look like in five years. I have strong feelings that it will be different from the last 20.

The way Wellman handled Wake basketball?

Times are changing. I don't want to hire a 52 year old person in '21 and then be stuck with the 62 year old version of that person in '31.

I'd rather make this level in change of direction now and be in the position to make another change in 5 years, plus or minus a few. I'm not sure anybody knows what college sports will look like in five years. I have strong feelings that it will be different from the last 20.

You really blew your chance to voice your opinion when Wake hired 48-year old John Currie then. Conferences don't look to hire a new Director every five years.

You really blew your chance to voice your opinion when Wake hired 48-year old John Currie then. Conferences don't look to hire a new Director every five years.

She could easily serve 10+ years and match some of the current basketball coaches. Just saying that things are changing more rapidly now than the have in quite a while. It would be easier to gracefully retire a 67 y.o. then a 55 y.o. if the conference felt necessary to go in a different direction.

Or we can go younger with current Senior Associate ACC Commissioner for football, Michael Strickland. He is now 40 years old. When he was hired in 2013, this was his bio:

"Strickland graduated from South Carolina with a degree in sports and entertainment management and received a master’s degree in business administration and sports management degree from Ohio University. He has spent the past nine years as an official with Florida Citrus Sports, which is responsible for the Capital One Bowl and the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, Fla."

and his duties: "Strickland, 33, will serve the conference’s interests in football, and his duties will include promoting and managing the annual ACC championship game, coordinating scheduling, working with television network and bowl partners and serving as liaison with ACC football programs"

Five years ago I though Ben Sutton would be a great choice to replace Swofford. I'm sure he's not interested now, if he ever was.

Or we can go younger with current Senior Associate ACC Commissioner for football, Michael Strickland. He is now 40 years old. When he was hired in 2013, this was his bio:

"Strickland graduated from South Carolina with a degree in sports and entertainment management and received a master’s degree in business administration and sports management degree from Ohio University. He has spent the past nine years as an official with Florida Citrus Sports, which is responsible for the Capital One Bowl and the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, Fla."

and his duties: "Strickland, 33, will serve the conference’s interests in football, and his duties will include promoting and managing the annual ACC championship game, coordinating scheduling, working with television network and bowl partners and serving as liaison with ACC football programs"

This would send several people into orbit.

Not a home run yet. We just heard the sharp crack of the bat at the ball is in the air. Home run or warning-track-power? We'll see.

(Beating metaphors to death is fun).

Not a home run yet. We just heard the sharp crack of the bat at the ball is in the air. Home run or warning-track-power? We'll see.

(Beating metaphors to death is fun).

Had good bat speed and the ball had good exit velocity. But right now it is in the air above second base.

I'm more in the "He looks good in the buffet line" camp.

Back