• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson to Self Isolate During Season

First, congratulations to his wife for being a cancer survivor! I had no idea she had gone through such an ordeal. Second, call me negative Nancy, but I just don't see how this season is going to get off the ground. I'm hopeful that it will as I love college football. But, the logistics involved with keeping staff and players safe along with likely no fans in the stands just makes this seem untenable.

This is great. So glad we have Clawson as a coach.

27588b05db3c8141d5ac844eb779c6d2.jpg

Don’t see anyway the season happens without everyone collectively burying their heads about the virus (which is what has seemingly happened in plenty of states and regions lately). I love sports but there’s far more to life than sports and your ability to spend meaningful time with loved ones certainly ranks above sports to me.

Yeah, you can try to take all of the precautions possible, but at the end of the day, football entails a bunch of sweaty dudes rolling on top of each other, breathing on each other, exchanging sweat with each other, etc. For 3 hours, multiplied by 50 players, multiplied by 130 teams, multiplied by 12 weeks. I just don't see how it's possible unless as Numbers said, everyone collectively buries their heads about the virus.

Yeah, you can try to take all of the precautions possible, but at the end of the day, football entails a bunch of sweaty dudes rolling on top of each other, breathing on each other, exchanging sweat with each other, etc. For 3 hours, multiplied by 50 players, multiplied by 130 teams, multiplied by 12 weeks. I just don't see how it's possible unless as Numbers said, everyone collectively buries their heads about the virus.

Basketball is similar. Players are really close to each other for much of the game. Lots of contact. Already acknowledged with the blood protocols. 30 games, with a much bigger mix of teams from different geographic areas. Almost guarantees that there will be players and teams infected. I could see forfeits happening because a team doesn't have enough healthy players.

Still think this was his last season anyway. Likely the next time he coaches a game (if we ever go outside again) will be somewhere else.

Still think this was his last season anyway. Likely the next time he coaches a game (if we ever go outside again) will be somewhere else.

Based on what other than some LOWF attitude that good coaches leave us which they literally haven’t.

I believe that 1971 was the last time that a WF head football coach to left to take another college job. Stoll had won an ACC title, and being from Minnesota and having played at Minnesota, returning to his alma mater was a natural. So, maybe after 49 years, WF will lose another head coach to another school, but over the most recent years, WF football coaches typically stay here until they retire (Dooley, Grobe - kind of), get fired (Mills, Caldwell - Claw is not getting fired) or go to the NFL (Mackovic and Groh -- don't see Clawson heading to the NFL).

I think firing Manning and hiring Forbes makes it much more likely that Clawson would stay.

When I see these tidbits about Clawson, I always wonder how the mouth-breathing MAGA chuds in our fanbase internalize his relative progressiveness. Does it just get compartmentalized separately from their sports fandom? Or do they struggle with spittle-inducing conflict rage when watching Wake football games?

This is the first indication I’ve seen of his politics. The Facebook group has a thread that seemed to be critical of Clawson but I haven’t checked it today.

It’s a shame that being pro-caution about a global pandemic is a political position but I suppose that’s always been the case regarding reason v. feelings.

This is the first indication I’ve seen of his politics. The Facebook group has a thread that seemed to be critical of Clawson but I haven’t checked it today.

I read in his statement commentary on his ethics, social leanings and leadership, but nothing about his politics. That's one of the problems with today's society: every comment and action gets construed as some sort of political statement or stance, vs. just being able to freely express a sense of common decency w/o it going thru the lens of a partisan, binary political score.

When I see these tidbits about Clawson, I always wonder how the mouth-breathing MAGA chuds in our fanbase internalize his relative progressiveness. Does it just get compartmentalized separately from their sports fandom? Or do they struggle with spittle-inducing conflict rage when watching Wake football games?

Hey smug prick, GFY. Even someone who voted for Trump can appreciate Clawson as a great football coach. I could care less what his politics are. He did go to Williams college so one might assume he has a liberal bent on things, but who cares? Try exercising a little self restraint and tolerance of those with different views than your own.

Weird post.

Can't say I can ever recall Clawson injecting any sort of political leanings in his press conferences.

I read in his statement commentary on his ethics, social leanings and leadership, but nothing about his politics. That's one of the problems with today's society: every comment and action gets construed as some sort of political statement or stance, vs. just being able to freely express a sense of common decency w/o it going thru the lens of a partisan, binary political score.

Well to be fair the views on corona response and it’s effect on economy and society (football returning for example) seem to track pretty closely with ideological identification.

"Ethics, social leanings, and leadership" are an indication of one's politics.

It’s a shame that being pro-caution about a global pandemic is a political position but I suppose that’s always been the case regarding reason v. feelings.

By the numbers: Results from months of the Axios-Ipsos coronavirus polls show a clear and growing political divide between Democrats and Republicans on mask-wearing habits.

Nationally, the percentage of Democrats who reported wearing a mask all the time when leaving home rose from 49% between April 10 and May 4 to 65% between May 8 and June 22.
During the same time period, the percentage of Republicans who reported constant mask-wearing rose from 29% to just 35%.
Context: The political divide Americans are reporting on mask use echoes one seen within nearly all levels of the government.

President Trump has not been seen to wear a mask, and he told Axios last week that attendees at his Tulsa campaign event on June 20 should "do what they want" on masks, which were not required at the rally.
Governors in many red states like Nebraska have refused to mandate facial masks in public, even as cases have begun to rise in recent weeks. At the same time, leaders in blue states — especially those that grappled with large outbreaks of COVID-19 — have urged residents to wear masks, with California Gov. Gavin Newsom mandating their use last week as cases in the state passed 4,000 a day.
The situation is even more divided at the local level, with leaders of red towns in blue states pushing back against mask mandates, and vice versa.

Back