• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should DC hold a strike or Tax revolt?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
What other options do they have? The GOP is fine with tiny RW states but not with DC.

If every resident took part in a tax revolt, it would be too much for the IRS or DOJ to handle at once.

If a significant number of DC workers stopped showing up for work once things are back to normal could bring the city to its knees.

The GOP always says things like "No taxation without representation"- well do something about it.

I like the labor stoppage idea in the abstract (I'm a big proponent of direct action), and sure, you could bring the city to its knees stopping certain city services, but you'd likely mostly be punishing residents a lot harder than Congress.

Weird thing to me about DC statehood is that it's nationally unpopular, has never even hit 50% nationwide support.

Short of statehood, some earlier Band-aid proposals would even be nice, since it's such a partisan issue, just give DC a house rep and then add a safe seat GOP rep to another state for balance. That seems to be the crux of the issue for the GOP, not whether or not our tax base or population is big enough.

Apart from the 700,000 taxpayers without Congressional representation, it puts Mayor Bowser in the position of having to de facto play mayor, governor, and county executive. The state bureaucratic structure would help administer a lot of resources the local government struggles with.

Tag: Toilets!

Seriously though, more than one gop member has recently admitted they'll never vote for dc statehood because they would just be giving dems more power in the senate especially.

That's even more of an incentive to have a work stoppage or tax revolt.

No to statehood. Yes to proportionate representation of the DC population in the House. No to senators.

DC also needs more say in how they govern themselves. Currently they need approval for much of what they might otherwise do.

Because I like 100 senators. It's a nice round number. Also, DC metro's interests are generally represented by MD and NoVA. Just let those people vote in the MD senate race. Sorry MD people, those are the breaks.

Because I like 100 senators. It's a nice round number. Also, DC metro's interests are generally represented by MD and NoVA. Just let those people vote in the MD senate race. Sorry MD people, those are the breaks.

We could just take away one of North Dakota's senators?

I don't believe this to be accurate. Look at the racial and socioeconomic makeup of DC vs the surrounding suburbs. Also DC votes 90% Dem, the surrounding DMV does not.

I don't believe this to be accurate. Look at the racial and socioeconomic makeup of DC vs the surrounding suburbs. Also DC votes 90% Dem, the surrounding DMV does not.

Delaware's interests are close to PA's. Maybe DE shouldn't be represented. The Dakotas and Montana have similar needs, we should make all three into one giant barely populated state.

I'm actually with Biff of this one, I like 50. Don't want to add anymore, however we can still grant proper representation to DC and PR (if they want it). Give them some special status, allotting hem each one senator, and then add them to House 435 census bonanza.

That being said individual states are a pretty outdated idea at this point anyways. Maybe three states (TX, CA, AK) could function independently today. Every other state would be fucked it was not tied into our national economic infrastructure.

Yeah, and Charlotte and Rock Hill, SC aren't well represented by the rest of their respective states. That's the way it goes all around the country. If you made the DC oppulation part of that delegation, they'd be beholden to that constituency.

Was North Dakota a state when the US was founded? What school system failed you, Biff?

Was North Dakota a state when the US was founded? What school system failed you, Biff?

I didn't say it was now, did I ? DC itself wasn't founded until three years after the Constitution was written.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Something about round numbers and disenfranchising hundreds of thousands of black people.

I didn't say that. I just gave them a House rep or two and added them to Maryland. That's more representation than they've ever had before.

If you give DC two senators RJ will want to split CA up into nine states.

Back