• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

6/29 Mafia Sign Up - Closed. - Game Open

I think this topic went off thread quick, I'm more talking about straight humor. It's pretty universally accepted 70s/80s comedies are mired in racism, sexism and a lot of other isms that are not socially acceptable now. That stuff is all cringeworthy, outside of maybe Blazing Saddles, which is a different convo, but still likely would never get approved now.

But even the humor, jokes, situations that are funny from my memory, are less funny to not funny on rewatch. Maybe I am just making a decision off one movie - will check back in after a larger sample size.

Airplane! is a good example of some bad moments in a great movie

I dig the weird John Cusack movies of the 80s like Better Off Dead, though it has been a while since I've seen one, so maybe they don't actually hold up

I watched One Crazy Summer a couple weeks ago. I can't say that I liked it as much as I once did but I don't regret watching it.

I think this topic went off thread quick, I'm more talking about straight humor. It's pretty universally accepted 70s/80s comedies are mired in racism, sexism and a lot of other isms that are not socially acceptable now. That stuff is all cringeworthy, outside of maybe Blazing Saddles, which is a different convo, but still likely would never get approved now.

But even the humor, jokes, situations that are funny from my memory, are less funny to not funny on rewatch. Maybe I am just making a decision off one movie - will check back in after a larger sample size.

So Animal House, Caddyshack and Trading Places have lost their shine for you? I don't want to live in that world.

not 80s, but I showed by high school-age sisters Best In Show the other day and it did feel a lot less funny than I remembered it

Airplane! is a good example of some bad moments in a great movie

I dig the weird John Cusack movies of the 80s like Better Off Dead, though it has been a while since I've seen one, so maybe they don't actually hold up

Just watched ‘Say Anything’

Turns out it says nothing

Best in Show is my favorite Guest movie, followed by For Your Consideration.

Everyone does. And Mary Louise Parker toooooo

It was always Jennifer Connelly for me. And Andrew McCarthy.

Back