Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6/29 Mafia Sign Up - Closed. - Game Open

Dickie Hemric
    I think this topic went off thread quick, I'm more talking about straight humor. It's pretty universally accepted 70s/80s comedies are mired in racism, sexism and a lot of other isms that are not socially acceptable now. That stuff is all cringeworthy, outside of maybe Blazing Saddles, which is a different convo, but still likely would never get approved now.

But even the humor, jokes, situations that are funny from my memory, are less funny to not funny on rewatch. Maybe I am just making a decision off one movie - will check back in after a larger sample size.

The thread goes where the thread goes, man.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    Airplane! is a good example of some bad moments in a great movie

I dig the weird John Cusack movies of the 80s like Better Off Dead, though it has been a while since I've seen one, so maybe they don't actually hold up
    I watched One Crazy Summer a couple weeks ago. I can't say that I liked it as much as I once did but I don't regret watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    I think this topic went off thread quick, I'm more talking about straight humor. It's pretty universally accepted 70s/80s comedies are mired in racism, sexism and a lot of other isms that are not socially acceptable now. That stuff is all cringeworthy, outside of maybe Blazing Saddles, which is a different convo, but still likely would never get approved now.

But even the humor, jokes, situations that are funny from my memory, are less funny to not funny on rewatch. Maybe I am just making a decision off one movie - will check back in after a larger sample size.
    So Animal House, Caddyshack and Trading Places have lost their shine for you? I don't want to live in that world.

not 80s, but I showed by high school-age sisters Best In Show the other day and it did feel a lot less funny than I remembered it

Dickie Hemric
    not 80s, but I showed by high school-age sisters Best In Show the other day and it did feel a lot less funny than I remembered it
    Best in Show is a favorite - havent watched any Guest movies in awhile though. Depressing.

Airplane! is a good example of some bad moments in a great movie

I dig the weird John Cusack movies of the 80s like Better Off Dead, though it has been a while since I've seen one, so maybe they don't actually hold up
    Just watched ‘Say Anything’

Turns out it says nothing

Quote Originally Posted by romanovKU View Post
    Just watched ‘Say Anything’

Turns out it says nothing
    Awesome movie.

Best in Show was never funny.

Best in Show is my favorite Guest movie, followed by For Your Consideration.

Im voting based on movie opinions.

I do have it bad for Parker Posey

Nm
    Last edited by romanovKU; 06-28-2020 at 07:00 PM.

this thread reminded me of how ryan north once did a page-by-page review of the absolutely bonkers back to the future novelization, which is lovely and 100% worth reading

https://btothef.tumblr.com/tagged/bttf/chrono

I do have it bad for Parker Posey
    Me too.

Everyone does. And Mary Louise Parker toooooo

It was always Jennifer Connelly for me. And Andrew McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    It was always Jennifer Connelly for me. And Andrew McCarthy.
    Jennifer Connolly is a yes. Andrew McCarthy is a no. Terrible actor and the best he ever was was in Weekend at Bernie's