• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Portland, Maine

Bump headed up in a couple of weeks for a hybrid christmas present/birthday present/end of law school present. Any recommendations for off-season things to do? Very interested in restaurants and breweries. We may end up driving around a bit after we checkout on Sunday since we've never been to Maine before. Worth driving up the coast a bit from Portland?

One of my friends lives in Portland and recently we were discussing cult beers. Russian River Brewing in Sonoma County releases Pliny the Younger (a triple IPA) for 2 weeks in February (it's going on right now) and people wait 6-8 hours in line for PTY. My buddy says that Maine Brewing in Freeport has the same craziness with Dinner (a double IPA).

Oh man, i'm heading up to maine on Thursday myself but heading to Bangor.

Leftcoast's recs are spot on. Not sure how long you're staying but Freeport is a good afternoon killer if the weather is crap. LL Bean store (s) are great and lots of other good stores and some decent restaurants as well. Also, definitely drive out to the Portland Head Light Lighthouse. Definitely worth the 20 min trip though it'll be cold as balls. PM if you want some other restaurant recs if you want. Bundle up, Portland is fucking cold in winter bc of the wind ripping down the streets off the bay.

One of my friends lives in Portland and recently we were discussing cult beers. Russian River Brewing in Sonoma County releases Pliny the Younger (a triple IPA) for 2 weeks in February (it's going on right now) and people wait 6-8 hours in line for PTY. My buddy says that Maine Brewing in Freeport has the same craziness with Dinner (a double IPA).

I've been trying to get my hands on Dinner for a while now with no luck.

While there are a lot of great restaurants in Portland, for me personally, if I am there for only one night I always go to Fore Street. Some of that may have to do with sentimentality, as wifey and I have been going there for 12+ years and have decided that it is our spot.

Had a fantastic meal at Hugos last fall, highly recommend.

Also really like Duckfat for lunch.

I had a bomber of Maine Brewing "Lunch" IPA at a swank biz dinner in NYC last month. I would have never paid for it on my own...something like $40. It was outstanding.

I had a bomber of Maine Brewing "Lunch" IPA at a swank biz dinner in NYC last month. I would have never paid for it on my own...something like $40. It was outstanding.

Cool. At least Dinner is released in bottles. Pliny the Younger is only available on tap for 2 weeks at the mothership microbrewery in February. Some of Russian River's long-term restaurant and bar customers get a keg that generally gets consumed in an hour.

Does it matter what part of Portland you stay in or is there a preferred area? North or South, away from city, near beach, or right in middle of town?

You don't want to be in South Portland...that is the more industrial area and actually a completely different town/city than Portland. Depending on what you want to do, middle of town is probably the best as you can easily walk to all restaurants, down to the harbor, etc.

I stayed at the Westin. It was nice. Good Sunday brunch options nearby.

Eventide for some raw oysters and a lobster roll. We hit Hugo's, Duck Fat, Street & Co, and Central Provisions - but Eventide was probably our favorite.

rocky; you'll have to go a bit south to Old Orchard Beach for a "real" sand beach. Or north to Acadia National Park.

There are some smaller, marginal beaches between Portland and Acadia but they're not great and kind of out of the way

I wouldnt' describe any as muddy

There's also Popham Beach which isn't terribly far from Portland (maybe a little over an hour)

got brunch at Schulte & Herr (Google Maps Link) today and everything about the experience was phenomenal. delicious, cost-effective, German food served by kind deutsche Volk. wholeheartedly recommend.

Huh, I can't believe I haven't put my 2 cents in on this thread, I love my periodic trips to Portland.

One particular thing that needs to be said - save some room for gelato.

I thought Gelato Fiasco was the best gelato I've had in the US. That is until I went a few yards down the street on another trip and tried Gorgeous Gelato, which is owned by 1st generation Italian immigrants who went to Gelato University, which is a real thing and where I hope to continue my education.

Back