• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Portland, Maine

The brown butter lobster roll at Eventide is also phenomenal if you need a lunch spot or afternoon snack.

Eventide was awesome, but we went like 4 years ago. Portland overall is great - just walking off the plane coming from a humid 100 degree summer location was heaven.

I legit think about that lobster roll all the time. Thought about pulling the trigger on Goldbelly to get some delivered but I’m heading to Boston in a few weeks for a delayed bachelor party and will load up then.

Alright, just got spotted a few extra Southwest dollars for a delayed flight. Any other hotel recommendations for Portland, Maine? I've checked out Portland Regency and Habor, but am looking to book a place for $300-$400 per night. Any other suggestions?

Eventide is awesome. The fish sandwich there and the lobster roll are excellent, plus the oysters. We stayed at the Press Hotel. Really cool.

Fore Street has been my favorite restaurant in Portland for many years. Never had anything short of a great experience there.

Alright, just got spotted a few extra Southwest dollars for a delayed flight. Any other hotel recommendations for Portland, Maine? I've checked out Portland Regency and Habor, but am looking to book a place for $300-$400 per night. Any other suggestions?

Portland Harbor is always nice and the location is great, so you couldn't go wrong there. Same with Regency. I've heard that the Press is cool but I've never stayed there. I'd also check out Hyatt Place in the old port.

Day trip here, next to/in a park beach. Delicious and more importantly great views and touristy kitsch. Also underrated thing to do in Maine in the summer is eat clams. Steamers, fried, fried belly, clam rolls, clams in your lady's clam, all the clams. Better than lobster imo.

https://lobstershacktwolights.com/

"market price" is my favorite restaurant con

Agreed, but with lobster you can't really have a menu that promises anything more than a month out. They should post the real price at the restaurant though. Market price for beef though is ridiculous.

Agreed, but with lobster you can't really have a menu that promises anything more than a month out. They should post the real price at the restaurant though. Market price for beef though is ridiculous.

yeah, agreed. I feel like market prices for lobster could probably be built into the margin enough that they could put prices out there but #tourists

Flying into Boston and driving up to Portland in late July. What are the cool towns, sights, restaurants to stop at along the way? Portsmouth worth a few hours?

We love oysters and have heard there are some awesome oyster farm tours in Maine. Anyone have any experience/recs there?

Flying into Boston and driving up to Portland in late July. What are the cool towns, sights, restaurants to stop at along the way? Portsmouth worth a few hours?

We love oysters and have heard there are some awesome oyster farm tours in Maine. Anyone have any experience/recs there?

I didn't mention Chauncey Creek above because it was about Portland, but since you are driving up from Boston, that is about the most scenic spot I have ever seen, with good food too. About a half hour out of your way east of Kittery. Whole lobsters over rolls there though, they serve it on a crappy hamburger bun if you get a roll.

I don't have specific oyster recs but damriscottas are sublime and easily accessed.

Last edited:
If you want a great romantic getaway, this is where we stayed for 4 days while exploring Portland, LL Bean, Kennebunkport and Portsmouth, NH:
https://www.cliffhousemaine.com/
You won't find a more beautiful spot.

We ate at Scales (seafood, duh) on the water in Portland, which was awesome. Also ate at David's restaurant, which was also very good. If you wind up at the Cliff House, I have a great breakfast spot in town there and a restaurant in Kennebunkport.

Bump. Reservations booked at Solo Italiano & Central Provisions. Got our oyster tour booked this Saturday morning out of Freeport - pretty pumped. Wondering if we should explore NE to Boothbay Harbor or so in the afternoon or just mess around Freeport/Portland. Since a good portion of Friday will be spent hitting the coastal towns between Boston/Portland, and we'll have to drive back Sunday later afternoon/Monday morning (Sunday night lodging TBD), I'm thinking we probably should just explore the Portland area Saturday afternoon/Sunday vs. head north. Thoughts?

Bump. Reservations booked at Solo Italiano & Central Provisions. Got our oyster tour booked this Saturday morning out of Freeport - pretty pumped. Wondering if we should explore NE to Boothbay Harbor or so in the afternoon or just mess around Freeport/Portland. Since a good portion of Friday will be spent hitting the coastal towns between Boston/Portland, and we'll have to drive back Sunday later afternoon/Monday morning (Sunday night lodging TBD), I'm thinking we probably should just explore the Portland area Saturday afternoon/Sunday vs. head north. Thoughts?

Nice man, hope you enjoy Solo Italiano.

Back