• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All Time Triad HS MBB Stars

Chris Gaynor was pretty filthy. In the Winthrop Hall of Fame.

The Holcomb-Faye brothers were fun to watch. Won a couple state titles with Coach West at RJR.

PJ Hairston is one of those guys whose name you remember but can't remember a single detail about

I definitely remember him hitting a shot from just outside the tap circle after the tipoff and then teabagging my center on a dunk 3 plays later.

I remember going to Orlando to watch this team play:

https://www.greensboro.com/n-c-team...cle_30779aa4-9626-5d57-b9bd-6dd7b0b28fd1.html

I cannot remember all the players on that Kappa Magic roster but it was stacked. They were absolutely filthy.

That was also the year (if my memory serves me correctly) that I first saw Lebron.

On a side note: this got me curious about the best AAU teams ever. Check out this list: https://www.legendssf.com/blogs/legends-blog/14491885-10-best-aau-basketball-teams-ever

Some of those teams are absolutely bonkers.

PJ Hairston is one of those guys whose name you remember but can't remember a single detail about

Well you should remember his off-court shenanigans pretty well:

-Arrested in 2013 for driving without a license, misdemeanor marijuana possession and a handgun was found outside the vehicle [total coincidence obviously]
-Like a month later arrested for driving 93 in a 65 [in a 2008 Acura TL lol]
-The bizarre vehicle swap in 2014 with NFL WR Josh Gordon after a “chance meeting in a grocery store parking lot”
-Arrested on outstanding warrants in 2017 in Wrightsville Beach
-Warrant issued on charges of assaulting a female in 2018

Well you should remember his off-court shenanigans pretty well:

-Arrested in 2013 for driving without a license, misdemeanor marijuana possession and a handgun was found outside the vehicle [total coincidence obviously]
-Like a month later arrested for driving 93 in a 65 [in a 2008 Acura TL lol]
-The bizarre vehicle swap in 2014 with NFL WR Josh Gordon after a “chance meeting in a grocery store parking lot”
-Arrested on outstanding warrants in 2017 in Wrightsville Beach
-Warrant issued on charges of assaulting a female in 2018

So, you are saying that Hairston has been living on the straight and narrow since 2018?

The Holcomb-Faye brothers were fun to watch. Won a couple state titles with Coach West at RJR.

Don’t think Travis ever won a state chip, but Whit won some.

Whit would go toe-to-toe with CP back in the day. Remmeber Whit scored 32 and CP 31 one game... fun to watch.

Also Mitchel Baldwin was a good HS player. Skip was after him and sad “you have until ____ to take this offer before we go with someone else.” We’ll he didn’t take it and we ended up with some dude named Taron Downey

https://www.greensboro.com/n-c-team...cle_30779aa4-9626-5d57-b9bd-6dd7b0b28fd1.html

I cannot remember all the players on that Kappa Magic roster but it was stacked. They were absolutely filthy.

That was also the year (if my memory serves me correctly) that I first saw Lebron.

On a side note: this got me curious about the best AAU teams ever. Check out this list: https://www.legendssf.com/blogs/legends-blog/14491885-10-best-aau-basketball-teams-ever

Didn’t Jeff Teague play for that Spiece Indy Heat team too?

that kappa magic team was ridiculous

i think they had some other wake role players... maybe one of trent strickland, todd hendley, dick joyce maybe?

if memory serves, carmelo anthony played on one of the NC AAU teams (maybe the gaters?) that summer as well

that was a crazy period for NC hoops in general... you had the Kappa Magic guys + Felton (in SC), McCants, Eric Williams, Anthony Richardson (McD AA), Shavlik Randolph, Anthony Morrow, etc.

that was a crazy period for NC hoops in general... you had the Kappa Magic guys + Felton (in SC), McCants, Eric Williams, Anthony Richardson (McD AA), Shavlik Randolph, Anthony Morrow, etc.

Justin Gray and Curtis Withers (UNCC) would have both came out of West Charlotte in 2002, but Justin went to Oak Hill for his senior year. Eric Hicks went to Cincy from Dudley High that year.

Also Mitchel Baldwin was a good HS player. Skip was after him and sad “you have until ____ to take this offer before we go with someone else.” We’ll he didn’t take it and we ended up with some dude named Taron Downey

Odom recruited Downey & Mitchell Von Bittle Baldwin. Downey verballed to WF after his senior year @ Oxford HS & before his post grad year @ Fork Union(?). Prosser inherited the Downey/Levy/Vytas class.

Justin Gray and Curtis Withers (UNCC) would have both came out of West Charlotte in 2002, but Justin went to Oak Hill for his senior year. Eric Hicks went to Cincy from Dudley High that year.

and PJ Tucker!

Shav-Anthony Richardson sold out Reynolds Coliseum when I was in 8th grade

Cap 6 also had Shawan Robinson (Clemson) and young Cam Stanley in addition to Shav, Eric Williams, et al

Herm Gilliam may have been the very best ever from Winston-Salem. He played for Adkins and then for Purdue University. He was a 1st round draft pick, number 8 over-all. Herm was a point guard and a shooting guard. I think he played on Portland only NBA championship team. He played in the NBA for 8 seasons, 4 of them with the Hawks.

Danny Traylor from Reynolds. Although he wasn't great, had 2 years of double doubles at South Carolina. 7-0 Danny wouldn't give us a sniff.

Cliff Crawford from Parkland.

My wife taught there at the time, and he was also the starting QB. I remember his senior season after he committed to State being scared to death that he'd get smashed, as their offense was "snap it to Cliff, let him run around, and either take off or throw it deep."

Cliff Crawford from Parkland.

My wife taught there at the time, and he was also the starting QB. I remember his senior season after he committed to State being scared to death that he'd get smashed, as their offense was "snap it to Cliff, let him run around, and either take off or throw it deep."

Sounds like the Wake offense under Rusty LaRue, without the takeoff option.

Brendan Haywood

Bryant Feggins

and Kevin Thompson on the same team with Feggins. Had a bunch of all three of those guys games. My best tho' would be CP3, Josh Howard, Bob McAdoo & Danny Manning.

Last edited:
Back