• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OFY Matt Christopher books. Playing catch-up here.

Also anyone ever read the "My Side of the Mountain" trilogy? Those were legit. Made me want to run away, live in the woods, and somehow capture/train a pet falcon. Of course I would have lasted one night, at most, but still.

So this is apparently the last season of The Walking Dead? You could've told me the show ended 5 years ago and I wouldn't have been surprised. Do people still watch that?

I had absolutely no idea that show was still on. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years. I tried to get into it early on, but when they wouldn't leave that fucking cabin in S2 I dropped it and never went back. That was just an awful season of television, no matter how good the series got after that.

To this day, whenever I hear anyone talk about speed measured in knots, I think back to the encyclopedia brown book where he figured out the criminal because he was pretending to be a sailor but said "knots per hour" instead of just knots, which already has the unit of time built into the measurement. Memories are weird.

Been waiting for sailordeac to slip up and say that for years.

I had absolutely no idea that show was still on. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years. I tried to get into it early on, but when they wouldn't leave that fucking cabin in S2 I dropped it and never went back. That was just an awful season of television, no matter how good the series got after that.

That was my exact track of the show as well
rather enjoyed the first season, but that second season was awful and I quite caring
tried to get back into it, but never really could

the idea of a ten year old reading the first two harry potter books and then deciding it's not for them is really not something my mind can handle.

The idea of a forty year old doing the same is only marginally imaginable. The books were fantastic.

I read the first one when I was about 16, and it was fine, but already too juvenile for me. I never read, or had any interest in reading, any of the other books, and didn't watch any of the movies. Anything's great that gets people into reading, but I can't imagine getting hooked on those books as an adult.

To this day, whenever I hear anyone talk about speed measured in knots, I think back to the encyclopedia brown book where he figured out the criminal because he was pretending to be a sailor but said "knots per hour" instead of just knots, which already has the unit of time built into the measurement. Memories are weird.

I remember one where somebody said that a type-written paper was "legible" as a clue that the class's stolen bake sale money was hidden in the "eraser" because each of those words starts and ends with the same two-letter combination and thinking that was the stupidest "mystery" in the history of the genre. I still get a little bit angry when I see or hear the word "legible."

yeah, i read one EB book and the solution was that he knew a civil war sword was fake because an inscription on it referred to Bull Run as Bull Run and not Manassas and he's like 11. Fuck off, EB.

The encyclopedia brown mystery I think a lot about is when he went to the house of one of the suspects and she answered the door with her hair up in a towel filing her nails, and he knew she did it because if she had just taken a shower then her nails would be too soft to file.

March is a bullshit month. You expect spring and flowers and greenery but it's fucking cold and rainy and no leaves on the trees.

Maybe in the mountains, but there is (was) no non-Christmas time of the year better than those two weeks in March when the real ACC Tournament (RIP) and the first weekend of the NCAAT are on, and the weather's changing and the sun's breaking through, and you can sit outside at a bar or post up on the couch with the windows open and watch basketball all day.

Maybe in the mountains, but there is (was) no non-Christmas time of the year better than those two weeks in March when the real ACC Tournament (RIP) and the first weekend of the NCAAT are on, and the weather's changing and the sun's breaking through, and you can sit outside at a bar or post up on the couch with the windows open and watch basketball all day.

also before the pollen gets bad in the Piedmont region of NC

My boys(aforementioned college assistants) have invited me to go to Indy this year and leech off of their connections(basically expense free on the teat of their respective head coaches). Apparently the final four is a giant hedonistic throwdown for all college coaching staffs not still playing to blow off steam from their seasons. So my question is, how do I convince my wife that this is a valid use of my time, especially right after she's been a single parent for 4 months during my basketball season?

it's bad in the mountains and DC where I lived previously. in DC the Cherry Blossom Festival is the sort of start of spring but it's still usually fucking cold, and once the blossoms fall off the trees they're still bare for another month or so.

can't remember far enough back to when in school about the weather around the start of the tourney. I do remember the daffodils shooting up on campus in late Feb/early March (?) as the first sign of spring.

march is lame, guys. Unless you're in a state where seasons barely matter, it's got nothing - not winter, not spring.

Last edited:
My boys(aforementioned college assistants) have invited me to go to Indy this year and leech off of their connections(basically expense free on the teat of their respective head coaches). Apparently the final four is a giant hedonistic throwdown for all college coaching staffs not still playing to blow off steam from their seasons. So my question is, how do I convince my wife that this is a valid use of my time, especially right after she's been a single parent for 4 months during my basketball season?

I work in Indy a good bit

they love their sports -- it's all they have

This one you just do and don't care if she don't like it, bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back