• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not terribly unathletic, best sport probably currently tennis and I do play a ton of video games :p (sorta relevant for hand/eye coordination). Can't figure out if I should try to get a lesson or two just to make sure I don't learn bad habits up front. Makes sense to work on the approach+putting over just booming em though.

I would not take up golf.

Expensive
Takes too much time
Not that exciting
Good not great exercise
Hard to get good
Gotta wait on tee times
Swing can be hard on the back, elbow, wrists, etc.
Instantly turns you into a yuppie

I would pick something more fun that gets the heart rate going a little more.

I played when I was younger but had to stop because of my back. I played pretty regularly for about 2 years. I was decent but nothing special. High 80s. Never had a lesson but had a buddy give me some tips. If you do try it, keep these points in mind:

Head still
Front elbow straight
Butt kindof pushed out
Shift weight during swing to back foot then front
Don’t try to knock it to the moon
Hit down on the ball

I wasn’t a super long hitter but 185-90 was the sweet spot for my 6 iron

on this episode of "talkin fruit"

is the Whole Foods algorithm effective?

nZAnxFw.png

Wow... They even capitalized it.

Until recently my parents lived on a golf course in SC and played all the time. Finally got them to leave there and move up to Annapolis full time (they've had a place there for a while and dad is USNA so they know people there) and while my dad still plays one or two times a week he's pretty salty about not living on legit nice courses and getting to play 3, 4, 5 times a week with other like minded uber conservatives. He's been trying to get me to play for years, but I don't think I've stepped foot on a course in 15, maybe 20 years. I have maybe played one or two complete rounds since I played with LK at post-exams in Myrtle back in 2000. I played a decent amount in college, both in Winston and at the local course near my house in New Orleans, and though I wasn't really *that* terrible (not good either), it never really took for me. That said, I kinda want to check out Top Golf sometime. Drinking and trying to bomb shots with no real care of where they go seems like it might be kinda fun.

whoa, just realized that today is thursday, not wednesday. fuck yeah.

ever try any of the public courses in DC?

I haven't. Langston on Kingman Island is supposed to be decent, but I don't really know anything about it or any of the other public courses around town.

I have gone to the range at Langston and the range near me now, but haven't played either course. Looked into becoming a member at Old Soldier's but it's a dump.

Isn't Old Soldiers only 9 holes? And I didn't think it was open to non-residents. Have you done the tour at Lincoln's Cottage? It's basic, but I quite like it.

They do sell memberships and very cheaply, and I could walk there

I haven’t done the Lincoln tour, will definitely check out when safe

Expensive
Takes too much time
Not that exciting
Good not great exercise
Hard to get good
Gotta wait on tee times

I played when I was younger but had to stop because of my back. I played pretty regularly for about 2 years. I was decent but nothing special. High 80s. Never had a lesson but had a buddy give me some tips. If you do try it, keep these points in mind:

Head still
Front elbow straight
Butt kindof pushed out
Hit down on the ball

ITT, someone who advises against golf and quit, never sniffing a 10 handicap, gives sweet golf tips. Bravo.

Oh, I made a hole in one in frolf last night! Hole was very short at only like 90 feet, but damn did it feel good. These new discs are legit.

ITT, someone who advises against golf and quit, never sniffing a 10 handicap, gives sweet golf tips. Bravo.

Those are the tips, pretty much verbatim, my buddy gave me. I don't know his handicap, but he was much better than I was. If you don't think they're good, or you have others you want to share, feel free. Otherwise, don't be an ass.

Expensive
Takes too much time
Not that exciting
Good not great exercise
Hard to get good
Gotta wait on tee times

Head still
Front elbow straight
Butt kindof pushed out
Hit down on the ball

Yeah I get this, I think the thing I miss mostly is the social aspect if I'm on a trip and some buddies wanna play or something, but I guess these days its becoming less and less useful for social networking/etc too.

Oh, I made a hole in one in frolf last night! Hole was very short at only like 90 feet, but damn did it feel good. These new discs are legit.

Nice! What discs did you pick up? You throw that w/ a driver or a mid-range/approach disc?

Yeah I get this, I think the thing I miss mostly is the social aspect if I'm on a trip and some buddies wanna play or something, but I guess these days its becoming less and less useful for social networking/etc too.

Fair enough.

When my buddies play, I go with them, bring my clubs, and just drop a ball on the approach or around the green whenever I feel like joining in. It's much better for the back, and, frankly, I prefer it this way because I don't have to spend the rest of the year trying to stay sharp for the 1-2x a year I get on a course.

To each their own.

Nice! What discs did you pick up? You throw that w/ a driver or a mid-range/approach disc?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDFWS8L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Went with this 3 disc set. Threw the mid-range for the ace. Quickly learned that the mid-range curves fairly hard to the left, while the driver curves right and then a little back left at the end if thrown properly.

Wondering if there's any correlation between disc and regular golf. Distance control and visualization of shots would seem to be the two main areas that would be helpful across both.

I've been trying to improve my game the last few years; got invited to play in a league at work a couple of years ago and really enjoyed being out with people (9 holes w/all levels of players - league was as competitive as you want it to be). I've been taking some lessons and that has helped a lot as well. My goal is to play 9 holes once a week during the summer and to consistently shoot 90.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDFWS8L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Went with this 3 disc set. Threw the mid-range for the ace. Quickly learned that the mid-range curves fairly hard to the left, while the driver curves right and then a little back left at the end if thrown properly.

Wondering if there's any correlation between disc and regular golf. Distance control and visualization of shots would seem to be the two main areas that would be helpful across both.

yeah, seems like being able to put a plan together/visualize/etc all kinda work across both..

that's surprising the mid-range has that much stability, I'd think it'd "turn over" more often given the properties of those discs, but I haven't ever thrown a leopard or shark tbh (and ideally that slight right/going back to left is the exact behavior you want on long drives), can't go wrong with the aviar for putting

that plastic level will probably not last as long through the long haul, so if you start picking up more discs I'd get those at least in the "champion" plastic.. and then probably would just add a super stable driver (less likely to turn over to the right unless you absolutely crush it, great for big right to left shots on a backhand if you need lotta curve) like a destroyer and a driver like the valkyrie which is one of my favorites in terms of versatility/ease of use (I have like 3 of these in my bag). my favorite and pretty much always go-to mid range disc the discraft buzzzz, it just has a great feel to it and can do a lot of different shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back