• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I grew up in Wilmington and now live in Charleston. Waves at Folly are not better than those at some of the Wilmington area beaches. I mean surfing at Folly is fine but this is overrating it.

Right; by saying Folly has the best waves between Wilmington and Florida I'm implying that the Wilmington area beaches have better waves than Folly, which they do. Also, meant to say Ocean Isle, not Emerald Isle. Maybe that's the source of the confusion.

To be clear, it isn't saying much to say that Folly has the best waves between Wilmington and Florida. They win the tallest little person contest.

wrightsville beach ftw

many many hours spent there

You say tomato

nihilism =/= impermanence tho

the latter is saying there's a lot of meaning to life but it's gonna end, so don't pretend it's limitless.

if you enjoyed making sandcastles in the face of an encroaching tide that can still give yr life some meaning (i.e. it's a memory I keep) but it's also a lesson that nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
Right; by saying Folly has the best waves between Wilmington and Florida I'm implying that the Wilmington area beaches have better waves than Folly, which they do. Also, meant to say Ocean Isle, not Emerald Isle. Maybe that's the source of the confusion.

To be clear, it isn't saying much to say that Folly has the best waves between Wilmington and Florida. They win the tallest little person contest.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah I agree.

I’ve decided to take up surfing. What type of board should I start with and how much should I spend?

nihilism =/= impermanence tho

the latter is saying there's a lot of meaning to life but it's gonna end, so don't pretend it's limitless.

if you enjoyed making sandcastles in the face of an encroaching tide that can still give yr life some meaning (i.e. it's a memory I keep) but it's also a lesson that nothing lasts forever.

enjoyment =/= meaning tho

the former is just existence with a more pleasurable state of affairs. what you are claiming is like saying being rich, for example, gives your life meaning because you can buy more shit that brings you pleasure.

enjoyment =/= meaning tho

the former is just existence with a more pleasurable state of affairs. what you are claiming is like saying being rich, for example, gives your life meaning because you can buy more shit that brings you pleasure.

that's not what I'm claiming at all. I think you're relying on a pretty limited view of enjoyment as pure pleasure? plenty of things that are pleasurable are instructive and plenty of things that are painful are instructive. enjoyment and pain are just two stances the Cartesian subject takes when positioning itself in relation to external objects (i.e. creating meaning for the Self).

that might be beside the point tho.

my point was that the fact that I recall that specific moment in time as instructive (as an early lesson in impermance), instead of a memory without meaning is an arg against the nihilistic read.

also that you essentially said nihilism and impermance were tomato/tomato which ehhh

Though the more I think about it, the Buddhist "no-self" isn't too far away from nihilism - but probably with some pretty serious caveats

anyway like what's the deal with those speciality tiny watermelons they sell at grocery stores?

big watermelons only

I’m at Seaside, FL this week which is situated between 2 Air Force bases. Normally you maybe see 1-2 AF jets fly over but I’ve probably seen 20-25 this week, plus a bunch of Ospreys flying really low over the water. Some shit seems to be going down I dunno.

Nah but I have access to free beach places and spend around a month per year at the beach.

I ask because you might want to consider a paddle board. Use it on a nearby lake for 11 mos and in the waves in the ocean the 1 month you are at the beach. Paddle boarding is fun in waves; you can catch the smallest ankle biters. You aren’t going to be throwing spray on your top turn, but you will be riding a ton of waves.

If you just want to prone surf, get a longboard to start. I would go with at least 8’6” and the thicker the better. The first challenge of surfing is learning how to catch waves and it is easier with a big longboard. You can probably find a used one that will work for $500 or so at any surf shop on the east coast.

PM me if you want to take this to the next level

I feel like if I were ever single again I'd just grab some single bro friends and just crash post exams and spring breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back