• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's Thread-How many will get Covid at Jerry World?

being more fun to watch than last year is a fairly low bar to clear

What could be odd is people may think that Neath and Massoud have miraculously improved, when it's really just using them correctly.

I'm not forgetting Mucius. He seems to be a real leader and he's a glue guy. He could be one of those who gets 10-12 ppg. And when you see that in the scorecard, you shake your head thinking I don't remember him scoring more than a couple. He's also going to be the guy who runs down rebounds and plays tough D. Every good team needs a guy like Zeke.

Forbes is our new coach, that alone should account for a few more wins.

We'll be better, but the league is strong. I think we'll steal a few games we wouldn't have otherwise. But as Skip used to say, "It's not the Xs and Os. It's the Jimmies and Joes."

We need to be realistic. The team will be more intense, more fun to watch, better coached, etc., but we are at a talent deficit in the ACC for this year and maybe next.

We'll be better, but the league is strong. I think we'll steal a few games we wouldn't have otherwise. But as Skip used to say, "It's not the Xs and Os. It's the Jimmies and Joes."

We need to be realistic. The team will be more intense, more fun to watch, better coached, etc., but we are at a talent deficit in the ACC for this year and maybe next.
Yes i agree, we were last place last year and lost our top 4 scorers, Forbes was thrown into a tough situation. For me next year is a throw away year as i see Forbes 2nd year as the year we can be good with a solid 21 class and a few grad transfers.

Will be similar to the start of Clawson's first two years at Wake. Won't be many wins, but we will be able to see the foundation being set for future success which will be refreshing at the very least.

We should be able to split with State, assume we lose 2 to duke, win 2 from GT, split with Pitt, assume we lose 2 to UVA, split with VT, beat clemson, beat BC, and beat Syracuse (at the Joel). That would be 8-12, which is a LOT better than where we have been. Of course we'll lose some that we shouldn't, but I also like our chances to steal a win than I have in years.

RE: JJ - First of all, in the fifteen years since he left Duke, the three point shot has become even more integral to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he took 10-12/game these days. As great as his shot was, he shot under 40% for his first two years and barely 40% his junior year.

Neither White nor Chill are close to being as good a shooter as Massoud. So, get 2-3 more threes/game than them isn't that much assuming he is playing over 30 mpg.

There are other reasons why Massoud should take that many shots. We are going to be a very small team. Him taking that many threes will take one of the opponent's bigs away from the boards. Also, long shots create long rebounds. This will give us better opportunities to have multiple shot possessions. Another thing is DFL really fucked Massoud up. He made him into a one trick pony.

If you look at Massoud's tapes, you'll see he's an above average ball handler and passer. The more threes he takes. The more effective a simple ball fake will be. He'll either be taller and longer than the guy covering him or much quicker than a real big covering him. This will create easier shots for other guys on the team.

I think he could get Neath a lot of open look threes off the ball fake. It's going to be interesting to see how many more three Neath will be taking. I'd like to see that being 3/game. If the other team has to cover him for threes, our offense will be much better. From the time he was in HS through last year, I've seen Neath as a poor man's Westbrook. I'm not saying he's as good as Westbrook just that they have very similar games. The each are quicker and stronger than the guys who cover them. They both have quick. explosive hops. This is why Neath has never taken as any jumpers. He can simply beat his guy off the dribble nearly time.

Because of that if he have a motion offense, Neath will get teammates a lot of open shots and he does like to pass. Our stand still offense of last season, made the game especially tougher on Neath. With more open space and more movement, don't be shocked to see a big improvement for Neath.

This sounds like we have a chance to be really good. We don't have enough height or overall talent to make a giant leap next year, but we should be a lot more to watch.

JJ Redick, in spite of playing ~15 years ago, is still #10 all-time in 3pt attempts (and #3 in makes). His 40.6% is INSANELY good for something throwing up that many 3s.

Steph Curry was 41.2% for his 3 years at Davidson (and ONLY 38.7% his JR year).

For reference, Buddy Boeheim was the most prolific 3-point shooter in the ACC last year (made 97 3s... #2 on the list made 78) - He took 8.2 a game.

My only point is that Massound won't shoot that many 3s this year.

If anyone is going to come into the game and just launch 3s, it'll be Jonah Antonio.

I would wager that Antonio attempts more 3s per game than Massoud this year. I'm hoping Massoud has much more to his game than 3s (and, like you, I think he does).

As a team, we didn't shoot that many 3s last year... I suspect that number will go up significantly this year, but Massoud is not taking 8 3s a game.

That's a goal...Although I'm still more of a traditionalist when it comes to threes, I'd love to see this team take a bunch more, maybe even lead the league in a attempts. It may be a strategy that helps us balance the talent deficit. When you aren't as good as the other guys, you have to make them play more of your game.

I've learned to temper my enthusiasm and limit my expectations when it comes to Wake Forest basketball. That said, Forbes doesn't have the resume or make up of a good coach. He has the resume and make up of an outstanding coach. I won't be surprised if the Deacs go to the NIT this year and get there on defensive improvement. No expectations, but no limitations either.

I've learned to temper my enthusiasm and limit my expectations when it comes to Wake Forest basketball. That said, Forbes doesn't have the resume or make up of a good coach. He has the resume and make up of an outstanding coach. I won't be surprised if the Deacs go to the NIT this year and get there on defensive improvement. No expectations, but no limitations either.

I agree with this. You win with a good defense and solid rebounding. You play good defense and rebound your offense improves quite a bit. Manning's defense was a joke. I get the feeling Forbes will play full court pressure which was never the case with DFL or Bz. Create turnovers and limit their chances on the boards and get some easy buckets on the other end.

Just because:

(stats for all games... not just conference games)
3pt Attempts:
1- ND - 899
2- VT - 896
3- Clemson - 797
13 - WFU - 582
14 - UVA - 560
15 - GT - 516

3pt %:
1- Louisville - 37.6%
2/3 - VT/Duke - 35.2%
4/5 - FSU/WFU - 35.1%
13/14 - UNC/UVA - 30.4%
15 - Pitt - 29.6%

So you could certainly argue that we should have attempted more 3 pointers.

My other takeaway is that Virginia was terrible on offense last year (which I guess we knew)... Impressive that they had a decent season with so little offense. Coaching matters. As does defense.

Vibes...let's say I'm feeling a lot better about this than I was two hours ago. Point of reference, two hours ago, I thought it was about a 70% chance of happening. It's a lot higher now.

Vibes...let's say I'm feeling a lot better about this than I was two hours ago. Point of reference, two hours ago, I thought it was about a 70% chance of happening. It's a lot higher now.

which "this"?

Who are we getting Rj? And what’s the low end of projected wins next year?

Also, my best source just took a job with Ohio. So I have no sources anymore. Unless you wanna know about who Ohio is recruiting.

I agree with this. You win with a good defense and solid rebounding. You play good defense and rebound your offense improves quite a bit. Manning's defense was a joke. I get the feeling Forbes will play full court pressure which was never the case with DFL or Bz. Create turnovers and limit their chances on the boards and get some easy buckets on the other end.

I will be absolutely thrilled if we have learned to use the baseline as a 6th man on defense. A junior-high skill that apparently was lost on 90% of our coaches and players.

Also, player development. A bonus, for me, will be seeing players improve and develop. Even if we lose badly in our first year, it would be nice to see progress throughout the season. For 10+ years, there's been NO hope.

Back