• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's Thread-How many will get Covid at Jerry World?

This draft is weak for stars, but it could have a lot of solid roster guys. I agree that draft choices for this year aren't as valuable as in normal years.

If the T'wolves hadn't take Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn over Steph and another player, the NBA might be vastly different today. It's a big question whether or not the T'Wolves would have allowed Steph to play the way he did. The T'wolves wouldn't have had Jerry West consulting with them to draft Klay Thompson.

It's very conceivable that without the success of the Splash Brothers if the rest of the league would have morphed the way it has.

In another lane, it might be argued that the 2009 draft was the greatest draft for guards since the ABA/NBA merger:

Harden
Steph
DeRozan
Jrue Holiday
Jeff Teague
Tyreke Evans
Ricky Rubio

Add to them:

Darren Collison
Pat Bev
Danny Green
Patty Mills

There were some other OK players. Even without them, that was an amazing draft.

It seems to make no sense for either team. The Sixers salary dump doesn't really accomplish much (they save about $9M and tax). Green is likely to leave after one year and Ferguson isn't as good as Thuybelle or Korkmaz or the pick the Sixers will make this year. Horford can still play. He had to have more value than this.

Long-term, with Embiid, Simmons and Harris , the team will likely be in the luxury tax for years to come.

This is a head scratcher for the Sixers as it takes away a lot of fluidity without getting anything in return.

For OKC, unless Adams or Horford are already gone, the two centers will take up over 40-45% of the cap. The Sixers first round pick is likely not to be above #20-25 and is only of value if it packaged with other first round picks.

Hopefully, Morey has something else up his sleeve or it will be an inauspicious start.

I will likely catch some shit about this, but if you think independently, you might agree.

Sam Presti is on the very short list for most overrated GMs in NBA history. How's that for a start? His "genius" began by accident. As he said at the time and many times since, he has said had he won the first pick, he would have taken Greg Oden over Durant. It was a coin flip between taking Westbrook over Kevin Love. A young Durant/Love frontcourt could have been second only to Bird/McHale in the post merger era. But Westbrook was a Top 5 pick. The next year Harden was expected to go in the Top3/4. The one excellent pick he made was fining Ibake. He deserves credit for that pick. Without question, Presti was hamstrung by OKC's ownership's cheapness at not wanting to spend another $10M for tax over a couple of years to keep Harden. However, it was on Presti to get more than a pick that turned into Steven Adams for Harden. That was a failure.

The concept that all the picks Presti has gotten are "genius" is ludicrous and millennial bullshit. The closest to have any value could be the ones from Houston. They could have some value. The picks from the Clippers are going to be above #20 which have little value unless you can get lucky with combining them with Houston's, but most GMs realize #20+ are of little value. The three picks the Thunder got from the Lakers and Sixers are also basically worthless. On top of that, unless Presti has a landing place for Adams or Horford, using that much of their cap for those two redundant pieces doesn't make sense.

Whether you have one piece of shit or a dozen pieces of shit, it's still shit.

Sixers new leadership is mediocre. From everything I've read or head, Doc Rivers is one of the real good guy in the NBA and has been for 35 years or so, However, he's a coach who has historically gotten less from more. From his Shaq days in Orlando thru the Clippers, his teams all seem to have excuses for underachieving. Yes, he won a title with the Celtics, but any average coach could have won with KG, Pierce, Allen and Rondo.

Morey is even more overrated than Presti. Maybe, the Rox make the Finals if CP3 doesn't get injured, but Morey also blew up a successful team and turned them into a middling team that would never have had a chance to be better than that. The theory that you could even win in the NBA with a team that has no one over 6'7 is batshit crazy. You might put some fans in the stands against bad teams, but even bad will exploit you.

Yes, the Sixers had to get rid of a bad contract in Horford, but they effectively got nothing back for him at all. Danny Green used to be the epitome of 3 &D at guard. He isn't any longer. I was never a Josh Richardson fan. I thought he was mediocre at best, but Seth Curry is one dimensional and to have give up another pick as well to save $2M seemed silly. If you got Danny Green and Seth Curry and have Thuybelle and Korkmaz, drafting Maxey makes no sense.

Morey is that shiny object, a crazy professor, but not the "genius" some make him out to be. Remember, he had THIRTEEN years at Houston to win something.

Some draft thoughts:

PISTONS- Came close to rebuilding a team in one night. Had they picked Halliburton over Hayes, they would have had by far, the best draft last night. Some pooh pooh, Isaiah Stewart. He is the guy winning teams need. He has a relentless motor, loves to rebound, can run the court, blocks shots, can score and loves to bang. Saddiq Bey is a plus long range shooter, a plus defender and has a massive bball IQ.

BULLS -WTF are you thinking to pick a guy who couldn't even start in college at #4? Seriously, that's nuts. I can't believe Billy Donovan signed off on such a ridiculous pick.

KNICKS= I LOVE Obi Toppin., but their highest paid player plays the same position. Last year's #1 pick is a combo forward. They also have Taj Gibson who plays that position. Maybe they can get something for Randle. Otherwise why make this pick?

Interesting

RJ it seems to me that what Morey just did in one day fits much better with Embiid and Simmons than the previous roster

but you know more about Sixers than me

I agree on the Bulls and Knicks draft

Over thirteen years, other than winning at fantasy, what has Morey really accomplished? In my gut, I think Morey could have gotten the same trade from OKC next week or next month that he got last night. Nobody on either side was going anywhere. Secondly, if you are getting Green and Curry, why take Maxey? If you are sold on Maxey, why not wait on Horford?

With Maxey and Green still on the board, I'm surprised the Sixers couldn't have moved up to 17/18 to get Saddiq Bey, whom they needed. That would have made acquiring Green and Curry look better.

It sure looks like OKC is in full two year tank mode. Next year's draft appears to be very strong. There will be more tankers in 2022 than off the shores of Saudi Arabia trying to get Emoni Bates.

The downside of The Process has always been if the team does draft well, it will get into the super luxury tax. Unless the owner of OKC changes his modus operandi of the past decade, he won't allow this to happen.

The Sixers missed a big piece in the Seth trade...they should demanded BOBI!!!!

It sure looks like OKC is in full two year tank mode. Next year's draft appears to be very strong. There will be more tankers in 2022 than off the shores of Saudi Arabia trying to get Emoni Bates.

The downside of The Process has always been if the team does draft well, it will get into the super luxury tax. Unless the owner of OKC changes his modus operandi of the past decade, he won't allow this to happen.

There are a few years when you have really good players on rookie deals.

If you get the right guys. But even OKC didn't win with all those guys. The Sixers had to blow up the Process. With the CBA soon to allow HS-G-League, it's going to be even more difficult.

Has there been a championship or even a Finals team built like that since the merger?

The NBA and especially the Clippers have grossly disrespected Trez Harrell. Not only was he the legitimate Sixth Man of the Year, but he showed an amazing motor and enthusiasm. He averaged 18.6/7.1. If Gerami Grant and Gallo are worth over $20M/year, so is Trez.

Some say his play against Jokic cooled the market. Fuck those people! This guy lost the most important person in his life and was kept away from his friends and family during his time of grief. Just to be there and play as hard as he did showed the depth of his heart.

He didn't blow the 3-1 lead. It was his coach and the stars the team was built around. Why couldn't Kawhi or PG13 slow down Murray or even take away Grant?

I have never been a Lakers fan, but if the Sixers don't win the championship, I hope the Lakers and Trez piss on the Clippers and the rest of the league.

I'll be happy to see the Clips fall for letting him go. I wish the Suns could have signed him.

OKC sends Steven Adams to Pels. This will help Zion a lot. He's got a protector now. Also, Zion can use his athleticism more by not being tied to the lane. Adams' presence will occupy opposing bigs.

For OKC, Chet Holmgren's AAU team played Emoni Bates' team (I won't call it a HS). The 7'1, 195, Holmgren got 30. Bates got 36/10. OKC is hoping their tan king will get both.

Hoopshype is reporting a possible sign-and-trade that lands Bogdanovich in LA. If he ends up here, barring major injuries, the season may be over.

Maybe this is why AD and KCP haven't signed.

EDIT: This would be a perfect punch in the face for whichever candy-ass GM leaked Bogie to MIL to kill that deal.

Last edited:
Ibaka should fill Trez's slot fairly well in talent. Not sure if he will bring the energy...

The Clips seemed to have some major locker room issues, and Trez seemed to be in the center of all that. Addition by Subtraction.

If that's the case, you could be right. From the outside, it seemed to be a lot Pat Bev.

Ibaka is a great locker room guy and an underrated plays. It's crazy the Grant and Gallo get $20M when Ibaka gets less than $10M.

I wonder who the Kings will demand in a trade. The problem Sac has is too many 2s/3s. Other than Capela and JC, that's all the Hawks have.

Now that he has signed with Hawks, if the Kings match can they then trade him to Milwaukee?

Here's another scenario. Between now and when they have to match Bogie, could they still trade Hield to the Sixers and keep Bogie?

RJay, what do you think about Massoud and Mucius playing the 5? What a world!

Back