• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's Thread-How many will get Covid at Jerry World?

OK RJ. I'll play along. I'd like to see Massoud and Mucius at the three as well as you. Who plays the four? I lean to Massoud because he is the better rebounder and defender at the four. Mucius is quicker on D at the 3. We probably should figure Johnson at 3 as well. Your turn.

I like Neath at PG. Think he takes a leap this year and has great strength to the hoop. Shooting improved. Williamson has quickness. Great backup at PG or SG. A true CG but short.

Let's wait for the team to be set. Isn't there at least one more waiver to be decided?

I want Neath, Mucius and Massoud to play 32 mpg. I hope that fits Forbes' style. I wouldn't hate for it to be 34 MPG.

OK with me. Williamson has yet to receive a waiver. It was filed shortly after he transferred. The NCAA furloughed several people in that department so the wait could be longer than usual, plus the number of waivers requested increased again. Winter sports might receive a similar pass on eligibility received by fall and spring sports and everyone is OK.

FWIW, I expect a lot more pressure and ball denial defensively. Could shorten minutes and lengthen the player rotation. Forbes seems a no D, no play coach.

I hope the point of emphasis in the NBA next year is the off arm shove. You can't play D if Harden and others are allowed to shove you away to start.

Before people get crazy, I LOVE what Forbes is doing. It's usually difficult to step in late and recruit these days. Add Covid to that and any new coach would be hamstrung. Forbes is doing work and good work.

Covid has thrown this year's recruiting upside down. As of now, about 20 of the Top 50 on Rivals haven't committed. That means the team rankings as of now are basically meaningless as there will be massive changes.

If we can get Aidoo or another really good big, Forbes will have exceeded any realistic expectations regardless of team ranking.

Agree that team rankings will change dramatically. The blue bloods tend to get the top 50 who sign late and I expect the NBAD to get a share. It's still fun to see Wake at #16 no matter how short lived. I expect Forbes to secure another Top 150 recruit.

Let's wait for the team to be set. Isn't there at least one more waiver to be decided?

I want Neath, Mucius and Massoud to play 32 mpg. I hope that fits Forbes' style. I wouldn't hate for it to be 34 MPG.

wat?

Wake has had exactly one guy (Childress twice) hit 32 MPG in the last six seasons. Forbes had two guys (one season apiece) across 5 years hit 32 MPG. His team last year didn't have anyone at 30.

There's no way 3 guys are hitting 32 minutes lol. And basically no chance any of them get to 34.

That's just not how college basketball rotations work

Tre Jones played 35 mpg last year.

The previous year Tre played 34.3 and Barrett played 35 mpg.

The year before that Grayson Allen played 35.9. Bagley & Trent 33.9.

BTW, Michigan State had two guys at 32 mpg last year. Nova had guys who played 34.1. 33.9, 32.9. 30.3.

Those were the only three teams I looked at. So, your premise is simply not accurate.

Probably at least somewhat relevant, ETSU’s minutes per game leaders this year were right at 30. The year before they had a player at 31 and the year before that a player at 32.6.

wat?

Wake has had exactly one guy (Childress twice) hit 32 MPG in the last six seasons. Forbes had two guys (one season apiece) across 5 years hit 32 MPG. His team last year didn't have anyone at 30.

There's no way 3 guys are hitting 32 minutes lol. And basically no chance any of them get to 34.

I’ve had this same argument pretty much every year with RJ.

I’ll let you handle it this year.

He always cherry picks Duke when they are probably the biggest anomaly due to K always playing a very short bench (and usually having a number of one and dones).

I will say that Manning was terrible about his subs and rotations... So Forbes can’t possibly be worse.

I showed THREE of the Top 10 schools over the past decade. BTW, four of Kentucky's starting five played - 29.6, 33, 33.1 and 34.5. Gonzaga had two starters over 32 MPG. Kansas had three guys playing over 32 mpg.

That's SIX perennially top programs. We shouldn't play like they do.

My bad using actual results rather than theories is wrong.

For the past TEN NCAA Champs (this is for their entire seasons not the NCAAT):

Nova -one time but not the other
UConn - 1 team had two 32 mpg, the other had Kemba at 37+ and another at 29 mpg
Duke - 3 guys 35+ mpg
Duke - 2 32+ and one at 30.1
KY- 2 - 32+ and 2 -31
UVA - 3 guys 32+
L'ville - 3 - 31+
UNC - had 1 33.2

Hmmm....

Last edited:

Duke - 3 guys 35+ mpg
KY- 2 - 32+ and 2 -31
UVA - 3 guys 32+
L'ville - 3 - 31+
UNC - had 1 33.2

Hmmm....

Those teams had lottery NBA talent... Of course you keep those particular guys on the floor as much as you can.

Agree that looking at recent Wake history is pretty much irrelevant, given the coaching change... But looking at Forbes's past teams is better than pulling up recent NCAA champions. This year, especially, I'd expect Forbes to run a deeper rotation

When we bring in BHH for '22, he can play 35 minutes a game.

If Neath plays 32 mpg, I'll eat my hat (assuming Williamson gets a waiver, but probably even if he doesn't).

Yeah, RJ I don't think you're far off but you're using unique samples. We would have those 32+ guys if we were bringing in top-10 talent every year but that's not realistic at this point.

With Johnson, Wilkins and Antonio taking some minutes from Mucius/Massoud, I don't think they will get there but I can see Mucius playing close to 32, as he's the clear cut team leader.

Aside from Mucius, the guard position won't have anyone north of 28, especially if Williamson gets a waiver. Neath/Williamson/Dubose/Adams

And in the post, we won't play anyone more than 23-25...I couldn't see Ody making such a big leap that we HAVE to have him on the court north of 30 min and obviously Tariq and Okpomo are unproven.

I'm still curious if we take anyone else in 2020.

Last edited:
wat?

The bold is the argument.

Duke - 3 guys 35+ mpg
KY- 2 - 32+ and 2 -31
UVA - 3 guys 32+
L'ville - 3 - 31+
UNC - had 1 33.2

Hmmm....

These bolded are the two out of ten that meet your criteria rj. Everyone else has a bunch of 30 minute guys, plus the Kemba Walker outlier. Kentucky is close but not there.

Not to dig up old history, but the year it would have made sense to have a tight rotation with guys playing a ton of minutes was 2018-19.

That year, we had Childress as basically the only PG option, Hoard with NBA talent, a talented Brown, and a pu pu platter of a roster behind them.

Childress, Hoard, and Brown should have played as much as possible, with Sarr/Smart rotating at the 5 and others getting spot minutes.

Childress got 36mpg, Hoard played 30, and Brown played 29.

As an aside: Holy shit was that a terrible roster looking back. Maybe it doesn't seem so terrible when you consider what Sarr has become, but he was just OK that year. And Mucius was a horrific shooter. Losing Crawford, Moore, and Woods was crushing. I'm almost surprised we weren't worse.

Back