• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's Thread-How many will get Covid at Jerry World?

We should offer EVERY Top 100 center and PF in 22. There's no reason not to do it over the next eight weeks. Many of them already have lots of offers.

It's early. A lot left to be learned. About the time Forbes has developed a first impression, it will be time for conference play and those impressions will change as the opponents will be quicker, faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled. It appears the team has bought into playing defense as the foundation for any success they may have and that ball movement and unselfishness are required on offense.

How long will it take to nail a starting 5 down? No one on this team has done anything in high level college basketball. I’d say this is the most open roster Wake has had in years. There is a lot of indistinguishable, middling to fringe ACC level talent, frankly. Not one player has done enough to be supremely confident he will start night in, night out. One upside could be that the competition brings the most out of whoever ends up as the core later on in the season.

Don’t think that this team is going to have traditional starting five. Think starting seven, as any of those seven will likely be as effective, given low post shortage.

UVA a taste of reality. Three more cupcakes scheduled before conference games begin 12/30. Forbes still looking for two more. He has a sweet tooth this year. Smart.

When Ody comes back i think our best lineup is Neath, Dubose , Antonio, Jalen and Ody.

Troy 12/2, Presbyterian 12/13, UVA 12/16, VMI 12/21 prior to ACC. Room for 2 more cupcakes. Of course with the rate of cancellations, this could be wishful thinking.

I think y'all are putting too much stock in one game.

For months, I've been saying Massoud at C or for long periods of time at PF will harm his improvement and the team's. As we have seen in both games, playing those positions creates a lot of fouls for him and takes him out of position to best utilize his offensive skills. It's wasting one of top two or three offensive players. Also, it harms his rebounding as he has to go after big guys rather having clear paths from the wing. Lastly, by having him inside, it takes him away from running a wing on the break.

Massoud needs to be starting at SF.

Playing him as we have so far is like putting Ringo Starr as the lead guitarist or me as a lead singer (I am perfectly in tune in the key of L).

Last edited:
Get Ody healthy and I doubt we see much, if any of massoud at the 5 again.

I like the idea of running with
Neath
Dubose
Mucius
Massoud
Ody

6th/7th/8th
Williamson/Antonio/Johnson

For months, I've been saying Massoud at C or for long periods of time at PF will harm his improvement and the team's. As we have seen in both games, playing those positions creates a lot of fouls for him and takes him out of position to best utilize his offensive skills. It's wasting one of top two or three offensive players. Also, it harms his rebounding as he has to go after big guys rather having clear paths from the wing. Lastly, by having him inside, it takes him away from running a wing on the break.

Massoud needs to be starting at SF.

Playing him as we have so far is like putting Ringo Starr as the lead guitarist or me as a lead singer (I am perfectly in tune in the key of L).

Finding time for Mucius and Massoud to play on the wing can be big if they can perform. Been disappointing so far but it's been two games and they spent one in foul trouble. It could be difficult to have them play together without one taking more of a big man role given the number of guards and wings on the roster, but maybe Forbes can figure out a lineup build around them on the wings. I just have a feeling the true 5 out style might not fit them as well as some of the smaller and quicker wings but hopefully I'm wrong.

Finding time for Mucius and Massoud to play on the wing can be big if they can perform. Been disappointing so far but it's been two games and they spent one in foul trouble. It could be difficult to have them play together without one taking more of a big man role given the number of guards and wings on the roster, but maybe Forbes can figure out a lineup build around them on the wings. I just have a feeling the true 5 out style might not fit them as well as some of the smaller and quicker wings but hopefully I'm wrong.

If Ody can play 25 mpg, Tariq should be able to play the other 15 or get a few minutes of Opkomo could grow into a few mpg.

This will allow us to let Zeke play PF and Ish at SF (maybe 5 mpg at PF when we go small). To be honest, I'd rather have Dubose play PF than Ish when Zeke is off the court. He's more physical and it allows us to use Ish's talents a lot better.

I watched the Longwood game again, and Massoud really had his lunch eaten on defense, time and time again. He's not big or strong enough to guard bigs, and way too slow to guard most guards. I like him, but from what I've seen he seems to be a pretty big defensive liability.

Not sure I'm buying the Massoud excuses. First, he hasn't had to play any minutes as center, because neither of these teams had a center. None of their starters had anyone bigger or taller than Massoud except for Kent who edges him slightly, but he took 6 3's and didn't have a single rebound so he's the opposite of a banger.

The thing I love about Forbes is that he's a stats guy. I'm guessing that's the opposite of Manning as an old-school NBA matchup guy. Forbes knows we have to hit 3's to win. Of course he wants Massoud on the floor, shooting 3's and free throws - he reads his stats every press conference. The problem is you have to play defense on a Forbes team, whereas Manning didn't give two shits. Massoud is creeping along in that department, still slow footed, still awful at stopping the dribble drive. Occasionally uses his length to disrupt. He's not a lost cause by any means, but he's gotten a bail-out in the first 2 games by getting to play their slowest wannabe inside player and he STILL has been slow to defend and he's getting outworked/muscled by guys his weight and lighter.

Bottom line is he's not good enough yet to play the 3 for Forbes on defense, so the 4 and 5 is it for him for now. And 4 boards with zero blocks against those sorry teams in 2 games... Not great. The eye test still screams stretch 4 as his true position, but even as the "5" he really was playing that role - given the Forbes offense and the lack of centers - against two bad teams and struggled.

We haven't seen Massoud play SF at all this year. It wasn't particle physics to understand that playing a position one has never played would lead to fouls and other problems. That's reality for almost anyone, not an "excuse".

Our guard and wing defense has been weak. Our doubling D will hopefully improve. It's been split many times and the rotations have been terrible. Hopefully that will improve. It has to improve, or we will get destroyed versus ACC teams. Again, this was rather predictable due to a 180 degree change from last year.

It will be ugly for a while. You can't just flip a switch and make it work. Hopefully, it will be much better by mid-season.

Last edited:
Who is more overrated Rivers or Mooney?

From the time he came into the NBA, Doc Rivers has been universally lauded as one of the good guys in the league. He's a smart guy and very classy, but his coaching is grossly overrated. Yes, he won a championship, but even an average coach would have won with that crew. But he has underachieved many times and he's the only coach in NBA history to lose two 3-1 leads in the playoffs.

I hope he figures it out in Philly, but he isn't the great coach some thing he is.

RE: Chris Mooney

Why all the Chris Mooney fawning? He's coached at Richmond for fifteen years and made The Dane twice. He hasn't made The Dance since the 10-11 season.

He's never won the A-10. He's only finished second once in fifteen years. He only finished third three times. Seriously, if he's that good a coach, he would have gotten a few players and won the damn A-10 once. At least, he wouldn't have finished in the second division of the A-10 seven times in fifteen years.

This guy is a mediocre coach in a mid-major conference. He has had plenty of time to prove otherwise and hasn't.

This is a tough one. I'd say Mooney by a hair.

Who is more overrated Rivers or Mooney?

From the time he came into the NBA, Doc Rivers has been universally lauded as one of the good guys in the league. He's a smart guy and very classy, but his coaching is grossly overrated. Yes, he won a championship, but even an average coach would have won with that crew. But he has underachieved many times and he's the only coach in NBA history to lose two 3-1 leads in the playoffs.

I hope he figures it out in Philly, but he isn't the great coach some thing he is.

RE: Chris Mooney

Why all the Chris Mooney fawning? He's coached at Richmond for fifteen years and made The Dane twice. He hasn't made The Dance since the 10-11 season.

He's never won the A-10. He's only finished second once in fifteen years. He only finished third three times. Seriously, if he's that good a coach, he would have gotten a few players and won the damn A-10 once. At least, he wouldn't have finished in the second division of the A-10 seven times in fifteen years.

This guy is a mediocre coach in a mid-major conference. He has had plenty of time to prove otherwise and hasn't.

This is a tough one. I'd say Mooney by a hair.

Rivers vs. Gene Mauch vs. Al Groh. Discuss.

Agree that Mooney is a decent coach, but far from a great coach. Who is claiming that Mooney is a great coach? If he was a great coach, he would've moved on from Richmond to a more prominent job. The only thing that has been discussed about Mooney is that he turned things around at Richmond after almost getting fired after two straight losing seasons in 2017-8 (including a 29 point loss to WF) and 2018-9. It got to the point, where they took our billboards to fire Mooney in 2018 (sound familiar?). It's a nice redemption story, but unaware that anyone is claiming Mooney is among the college coaching elite.

A few other points: Richmond was 24-7 last year when the season ended, second in the A-10 behind Dayton (who would've been a #1 seed in the NCAAs) and if not for the pandemic, the Spiders would have made the tournament last year; can't pull out the NCAA tourney bid stat on Mooney without acknowledging they would've been in the dance last year absent the cancellation. Also, Mooney led Richmond to the A-10 title in 2011. Like the ACC, the tournament champion is considered the conference champ. Also, for Mooney's first 8 years, Xavier and Temple were in the A-10 (Xavier moved on the Big East and Temple moved on to the AAC). Richmond finished the regular season ahead of everyone else (essentially all of the teams that now compete for the A-10 title twice during those first 8 years). Didn't matter who was coaching Richmond during that period, Temple and Xavier were simply far better programs then.

Back