• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moderator Actions - RJKarl (Kanhoji Treatment) and Milhouse (2 week ban)

cookoutdeac

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, sorry for taking so long to speak on this and thanks for your patience. I know it can be frustrating waiting for a response and I am very sorry that it has taken us this long to officially address this. We are down to a much smaller number of moderators than this board was founded with (which has its pros and cons), and especially around a holiday weekend it was tough for us to communicate as effectively and come to a consensus. Just a reminder that we're all doing this on volunteer time because we love talking about WFU sports (and I have personally met some great people here). I'm grouping a couple different decisions here since they're tangentially related.

First off, the post RJ made towards Strickland over a month ago was absolutely despicable and uncalled for. Some members of our team were notified about it from a few different members (using proper channels like PMs, appreciate that!), and unfortunately it took us over a week to all sync up on what we thought was the appropriate response (more on this later), which, in an effort to be completely transparent was originally going to be a ban of of 1 month. However, I dropped the ball bigly and it got lost in translation who would actually carry out the ban and create the D13 post. Huge mea culpa from me on this, and it isn't a total excuse, but at the time I was dealing some pretty stressful stuff at work and barely had time to pay attention to the boards. Fast forward a week or so later and we realized that none of us had actually carried out the ban. At this point since there hadn't been much more uproar about the issue and RJ had appeared to apologize for it (and was sufficiently publicly shamed in the thread itself), we thought it best to just leave the issue alone for now. That was a mistake on our end not to address it at all.

Part of the reason we thought that it'd be ok to put it off was because we've also been discussing his constant thread-derailment behavior over the last few months, and this ended up just being more fuel on the fire. We acknowledge that he has become a constant distraction that has only served to make this place much worse for many posters and was reaching a point where it was tough to ignore. Therefore, RJ is going to given the Kanhoji treatment throughout the rest of 2020, at which point in January 2021 he will be restored full posting privileges (on probation) given that he has demonstrated some good faith in attempting to be a less reactionary member of the community.

Milhouse is also going to be given a 2 week ban for the over-the-line post he made on the BBD thread. Even if it was an attempt at satire it crossed a line.

As an extra note, given the fiasco around how long it took to perform the first ban and the tension that has caused while some members thought we were just sitting complacently, in our post-mortem discussions we've decided to change up how we communicate with one another for priority stuff like this (sticking to boards comms alone isn't enough, especially in the off season) and have put a better process place for who performs the bans and notifies the community. Hopefully it won't take this long the next time, if there has to be a next time at all. Ideally we'd be able to gather information and make a decision within 48-72 hours. I'll simply remind you that it is best for PMs to go out to multiple mods (myself/tsy/LK/TW) or even pseudo mods (dv7 and biff) if you've got issues with a post or behavior from someone. We are much more likely to see communications and notices from those than a random thread started on the sports board or elsewhere.

Thread discussion RJ's post to Strick: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32441-Why-is-rj-still-allowed-to-post

Milhouse post that was over the line: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...owed-to-post?p=3557484&viewfull=1#post3557484

TLDR; sorry for slow or not forthcoming comms throughout this, RJ is kanhoji'd until at least 2021, milhouse gets 2 week ban for his over-the-line post.

Yes I think he should die, and I hope he burns in hell

So does RJ get one thread per section or just one thread period? If it's one thread period, holy hell, what a train wreck conglomerate of sports takes, Tunnels takes, and everything in between that thing will be.

I am fascinated to see how this unfolds. Think there's a slim chance he steps away for a few months actually. Slim.

So does RJ get one thread per section or just one thread period? If it's one thread period, holy hell, what a train wreck conglomerate of sports takes, Tunnels takes, and everything in between that thing will be.

I am fascinated to see how this unfolds. Think there's a slim chance he steps away for a few months actually. Slim.

Aiming for one thread per sub-forum here (starting w/ the most recent threads he's created on the pit and sports boards re: peace). I'll wait to see if he wants/needs a politics forum thread specified, I assume so but will seek feedback on which of his threads there he feels is the best to use going forward.

I commend the mods for taking action regarding the hateful comment by Millhouse.

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Thank you Mod overloards. In the last six months RJ has gone to whole new level of deranged, this was desperately needed.

He left for a while before... Many people missed him after a while, but I was not one of them. Even if he leaves for a while, he'll be back. He always comes back.

ATS would be a great mod. Plus he never leaves his basement.

If you need another mod I'm happy to help out

Thanks for offering. In some ways a smaller team can be nicer because it's not as many people to get feedback from/etc, but it definitely means less eyes on threads (especially in areas like the politics forum). We haven't outright discussed expanding the mod team yet, but may look into it later in the year (especially if software upgrade gives us more tools to automate certain things).

Thanks for offering. In some ways a smaller team can be nicer because it's not as many people to get feedback from/etc, but it definitely means less eyes on threads (especially in areas like the politics forum). We haven't outright discussed expanding the mod team yet, but may look into it later in the year (especially if software upgrade gives us more tools to automate certain things).

The dick measuring algorithm will be clutch.

don't be so hard on yourself, he let himself go.

Back