• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Formula 1

Yeah maybe I got the timing mixed up in the excitement. For some reason I thought Hamilton had his issue already before Max went in - knew that Bottas already had his issue (and Max had passed him)

Crazy finish today.

According to Horner, Verstappen had to pit. His tires were spent and had gashes in them so it was highly possible that he would have had the same issue that others did.

The early safety car changed everyone's strategy and had them running beyond the lifespan of the tires.

Back at Silverstone next week. The only change is that Pirelli is giving the teams a softer set of tires. So that means today's medium will be the hard tire next week. That changes strategy for sure.

Yeah maybe I got the timing mixed up in the excitement. For some reason I thought Hamilton had his issue already before Max went in - knew that Bottas already had his issue (and Max had passed him)

Max (at the time) was not going to catch Hamilton and had zero downside for not getting tires given his lead. He would have risked the same issue without new tires though.

You are all spelling tyre incorrectly. This is the F1 thread. Crazy ass finish with Hamilton sparks flying all around the course.

I think saying Max may have shredded his tyre also is a calculated move by the team to make the move look better. They were going for fastest lap, they weren't overly concerned with the tyres at that point I don't think. They made a move and it backfired. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, at the time no one thought they could win.

Pirelli is sticking with the softer compounds this weekend.

I imagine it will be a medium - hard strategy but could see some softs used to try and make it into Q3 which would then have to be used at the start.

I think saying Max may have shredded his tyre also is a calculated move by the team to make the move look better. They were going for fastest lap, they weren't overly concerned with the tyres at that point I don't think. They made a move and it backfired. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, at the time no one thought they could win.

Christian Horner says one of Verstappen's tires had fifty cuts on it and likely would have failed on the last lap, for what it's worth. He could just be covering for a poor decision, but the broadcast team was speculating about whether Hamilton's tires would last, so surely RBR was well aware and would have kept Max out if they thought his tires would last.

Is it really worth it to use softs to get into Q3? If you have to pit earlier don't you lose that position advantage anyways? Kinda new to F1 so trying to make sure I'm on the right track strategy wise.

For a team like Mercedes or Red Bull (Verstappen atleast) you can run mediums and get in to Q3. For most everyone else, you probably have to risk it with the softs in order to get track position at the start.

The track you are at matters too. Monaco for example is a dreadful place to overtake, so you need to qualify well to get points.

Also with TYRE strategy, you plan for a 1 or 2 stop race and no safety cars. It's not uncommon for a race to go green the entire distance.

A safety car can change things dramatically however. Drivers often drive slower in order to preserve the tyres so that they can have one less pit stop. When everyone does this, it can get boring. But a late SC can change strategy as teams may pit for a faster tyre and then they can race harder since they have fewer laps to go on that set.

Is it really worth it to use softs to get into Q3? If you have to pit earlier don't you lose that position advantage anyways? Kinda new to F1 so trying to make sure I'm on the right track strategy wise.

Kinda. If you start on softs yes you pit earlier but then, in theory, the medium runners will have to pit after you made yours. With the stupid 2 different compound rule starting on medium puts you on hard or soft at your pit stop.

Christian Horner says one of Verstappen's tires had fifty cuts on it and likely would have failed on the last lap, for what it's worth. He could just be covering for a poor decision, but the broadcast team was speculating about whether Hamilton's tires would last, so surely RBR was well aware and would have kept Max out if they thought his tires would last.

Max said right after the race that he was getting concerned with about 10 laps left, so when Bottas's tyre went, they needed to box. So I don't think anybody was covering... it was a bit of bad luck that Verstappen pitted and then Hamilton blew a tyre, but that could have just as easily been Verstappen dragging over the line with Leclerc chasing him down if he had stayed out.

Also, can we give Leclerc some props here? That Ferrari looks like a dog, and he has gotten two podiums out of it already.

LeClerc can drive. Some of those moves in the first 3 laps were amazing. Changing of the guard.

Verstappen has a real shot at winning this race.

So yeah, the softer tyres made for a 2 stop race and a surprise result. Verstappen won it with a better strategy and with Merc having issues with the heat. Not sure this race will mean much for the rest of the year in terms of a competitive championship fight.

Announcers and social media pretty critical about how Mercedes handled Bottas’ run today.

Feels like Bottas got done dirty on this one. Also, next week in Spain will be as hot. We'll see what tires Pirreli brings.

The medium tires were straight garbage, and Toto looked absolute FURIOUS at the end of the race. I think he secretly thought they would win every race this year, he knows what a historically fast car they have.

The high rake Red Bull is easier on the tires in high temps, though it's substantially slower ... but we've got now Barcelona, so there's actually something that will make Merc change up their strategies.

Back