Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 181

Thread: Formula 1

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    Hes constantly having terrible starts.
    This, combined with the Merc's design. Those cars are designed to be front-runners, and don't work well in traffic. When Bottas misses the start and drops back, he has a tough time working through the pack. Even Hamilton has had trouble with traffic the couple times he has been down in the lineup.

  2. #162
    A few additional stories today.

    Mick Schumacher (son of Michael) formally announced as a Haas driver for next season: https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3...e-f1-haas-2021

    Jack Aitken to race for Williams in George Russell's place at this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix: https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3...ussell-bahrain

    Can't wait to see what Russell can do in the Merc during qualifying and the race.

  3. #163
    Mick Schumacher (son of Michael) formally announced as a Haas driver for next season:


    Way to kill a career before it even starts.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by godeacs View Post
    Mick Schumacher (son of Michael) formally announced as a Haas driver for next season:


    Way to kill a career before it even starts.
    Shumacher and Mazepin is a decent line-up for Haas. I feel like they really need to get rid of Steiner, though, regardless of how entertaining he can be.

  5. #165
    Steve Lepore wufu bufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,079
    Crazy race today. Just horrible luck for both Mercs. I've been a Bottas fan since his Williams days... But it almost looks like any of the strong drivers would out run him in the Merc. Hate to see what happened to Russell... He did everything right and nothing wrong and the team let him down plus some bad luck.

    With that said... Massive hats off to Checo. After that lap 1, miraculous drive for his first P1. The idea that he doesn't have a drive for next year, and Albon continues to waste space in that Red Bull, is unfathomable.

  6. #166
    Was an exciting race. Im not that high on Bottas. He just seems to drive very cautiously; rarely gets a great start despite always being in the first two rows. Russell is a Star. Too bad what happened today but hell be in a top car soon enough.

  7. #167
    Russell definitely did everything he needed to to win that race, and almost almost overcame two extra pitstops to do so, but the third finally stopped him. One thing he certainly did was outperform Bottas in the same car. Not sure why Mercedes gave Bottas another year when they obviously could have put Russell in that seat, unless they don't want Russell and Hamilton going head to head.

    I'm generally positive on Albon, and feel like he has had some terrible luck with Hamilton ruining both of his early chances for a podium, but I agree that he just doesn't quite seem to click in the second RB seat. But who has, really? Not sure if Perez is the type of driver that Red Bull is looking for, but I'm sure he will get picked up in 2022 by someone. The options for Red Bull maybe aren't what they are looking for, so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Albon for one more season. 2022 will be another interesting driver mix-up, I think.

  8. #168
    Steve Lepore wufu bufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by redwing42 View Post
    Russell definitely did everything he needed to to win that race, and almost almost overcame two extra pitstops to do so, but the third finally stopped him. One thing he certainly did was outperform Bottas in the same car. Not sure why Mercedes gave Bottas another year when they obviously could have put Russell in that seat, unless they don't want Russell and Hamilton going head to head.

    I'm generally positive on Albon, and feel like he has had some terrible luck with Hamilton ruining both of his early chances for a podium, but I agree that he just doesn't quite seem to click in the second RB seat. But who has, really? Not sure if Perez is the type of driver that Red Bull is looking for, but I'm sure he will get picked up in 2022 by someone. The options for Red Bull maybe aren't what they are looking for, so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Albon for one more season. 2022 will be another interesting driver mix-up, I think.
    Agree... Albon looked good early (end of last year, early this year) and it seemed both incidents with Hamilton really dampened him. Red bull hasn't had great parity with their drivers since Verstappen/Riccardo, and even then reliability issues kept them apart. I just don't think Red Bull can sit idly by with Albon not scoring max pts (read: top 5 with Max) because it looks like Racing Point, Renault, McLaren, and you know Ferrari will be vying for those same points. Hell, even Gasly looks more deserving at this point and I've never been much of a fan. I think Perez would do really well in that seat... Would love to see him get a shot for 2021. But that's not generally how you earn a seat at RB.

  9. #169
    Season wrapped up this morning.

    Power unit issues on the Mercs meant that they could never challenge Verstappen, and the Dutchman secured a straightforward win.

    McLaren showed good pace and capitalized on Sergio Perez's retirement to win third in the Constructor Championships. I definitely saw the McLaren vs. Racing Point battle as one of good vs. evil. On the one hand, you have McLaren, historic team that was struggling to find success but turned it around thanks to solid leadership and two drivers that are easy to pull for. On the other, Racing Point, who shamelessly play the "pay-to-drive" game (even if it means punting Perez in favor of Lance Stroll) and got caught copying Mercedes' designs. Glad the good guys prevailed.

    All things considered, I think it was a fantastic season. Kudos to F1 for pulling it off notwithstanding the pandemic and the global nature of the sport.

  10. #170
    Most people are reporting that Sergio Perez will be announced tomorrow as the replacement for Albon. Albon will now be the reserve driver.
    Last edited by Deacon; 12-17-2020 at 10:51 PM.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Most people are reporting that Sergio Perez will be announced tomorrow as the replacement for Albion. Albion will now be the reserve driver.
    I thought he might have saved his seat over the last few weeks. Id rather see Perez in the seat.
    Hungry

  12. #172
    Steve Lepore wufu bufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    I thought he might have saved his seat over the last few weeks. Id rather see Perez in the seat.
    One hundo P.

    Surprised there were no Gasly talks though, as he performed solidly, albeit with an inferior car.

    Next year has the promise to be the most interesting one we've seen in a while... Red Bull appear to be closing the gap to the Mercs slightly in their last year with Honda, particularly if the silver arrows falter at all. Who the F knows what Ferrari are doing, and I'm not sold on Sainz. Upper midfield will be most interesting... A lot of possibilities for podiums among Renault with Alonso back, McLaren with Riccardo, Racing Point (can Seb get his groove back?), and even the Alpha Tauris have been racy.

    Glad there's only a few months hiatus until we're back in Melbourne!

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by wufu bufu View Post
    One hundo P.

    Surprised there were no Gasly talks though, as he performed solidly, albeit with an inferior car.

    Next year has the promise to be the most interesting one we've seen in a while... Red Bull appear to be closing the gap to the Mercs slightly in their last year with Honda, particularly if the silver arrows falter at all. Who the F knows what Ferrari are doing, and I'm not sold on Sainz. Upper midfield will be most interesting... A lot of possibilities for podiums among Renault with Alonso back, McLaren with Riccardo, Racing Point (can Seb get his groove back?), and even the Alpha Tauris have been racy.

    Glad there's only a few months hiatus until we're back in Melbourne!
    I do think Albon will get another chance in F1. Maybe with Alpha Tauri again, maybe Alfa Romeo, maybe Haas when Mazepin gets kicked out.

    No way Gasly goes back to Red Bull, considering how poorly it went the first time around. He'll stay with Alpha Tauri for another season or two, then potentially get a spot with Renault... excuse me, Alpine... or maybe McLaren. Think he would be a good one to fill Alonzo's spot after Nando gets frustrated and leaves again.

    I expect Ferrari to struggle again next season. LeClerc is a good enough driver to salvage something, but I can't see them any better than fifth next season, and that is a stretch. Norris will definitely have a better season than Sainz.
    Last edited by redwing42; 12-19-2020 at 12:03 AM.

  14. #174
    First race of the 2021 season starts tomorrow!

    With qualifying complete, Verstappen sits on pole in Bahrain. He absolutely smashed both Mercs by almost four-tenths of a second. Leclerc and Gasly also came out of nowhere in Q3 to earn top-five starts. I'd look for Gasly to get a podium tomorrow. He'll likely be on the same tire strategy as Verstappen, Hamilton, and Bottas, and the AlphaTauris look pretty dialed-in this year.

    Somewhat disappointed that my boy Lando Norris got out-qualified by Daniel Ricciardo (who is also my boy).

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAlmaMaterSon View Post
    First race of the 2021 season starts tomorrow!

    With qualifying complete, Verstappen sits on pole in Bahrain. He absolutely smashed both Mercs by almost four-tenths of a second. Leclerc and Gasly also came out of nowhere in Q3 to earn top-five starts. I'd look for Gasly to get a podium tomorrow. He'll likely be on the same tire strategy as Verstappen, Hamilton, and Bottas, and the AlphaTauris look pretty dialed-in this year.

    Somewhat disappointed that my boy Lando Norris got out-qualified by Daniel Ricciardo (who is also my boy).


    Thank gosh Formula 1 is back. I've REALLY been looking forward to this. Cannot wait!!

  16. #176
    Watched all 3 practices and qualifying.

    Really enjoyed this season of Drive to Survive. The Grossjean crash was insane to relive after having seen live.
    Hungry

  17. #177
    Ferrari looks like they may have figured something out in the off season, so that is good. Yuki Tsunoda in P2 after Q1 was crazy, and I can't wait to see what he does this season. Would not be surprised if Ricciardo has a better year than Lando, but there is no shame in that. I hate everything about the Haas team now, with the exception of Mick Shumacher. I am terribly torn about Aston Martin. I think the green looks good out there, but I really miss the pink.

  18. #178
    Steve Lepore wufu bufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,079
    The Alpha Taurus are not much of a "B" team anymore... Will be interesting to see if that has strategic implications as the season progresses. Interested to see what Tsunoda pulls off.

    Alonso with another massive performance in quali... The guy is just a pure legend.

    Stoked for today, and hopeful this season doesn't turn into another Merc runaway. Early indicators are they will have a struggle on their hands.

    Pleased to see that Ferrari is more in the mix again.

  19. #179
    Steve Lepore wufu bufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,079
    Also, Merc benefits from consistently having 2 card in podium position. Most other teams can only wrangle one competitive car. Makes a huge strategic difference, asking with the obvious points for constructor. Queue the Red Bull + Alpha Tauri mega strategy

  20. #180
    Pysched about the F1 Season and can't wait to watch the race this morning. Hoping Ferrari indeed has a good year and (again) its not just about Mercedes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •