• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Formula 1

OldAlmaMaterSon

Reaction score
Not sure if there are any other Formula 1 fans on here, but worth a shot.

Sunday's Austrian Grand Prix was wildly entertaining. Mercedes are clearly in a class of their own yet again. Red Bull looked strong until Verstappen's mechanical failure and Albon's unfortunate demise at the hands of Hamilton for the second time in recent memory. Ferrari are way off-pace and I still have no clue how Leclerc managed a podium finish.

For me, the story of the race was Norris' performance. His final lap is the stuff of legends. First podium for the most likable guy on the grid. Hope it's a sign of more competitiveness to come.

It will be interesting to see how this week's race shapes up. Will reliability continue to be an issue? Will Ferrari be able to find any additional performance? Will Hamilton come back hungry and ready to take down Bottas?

Very few F1 fans around here. The race Sunday was tremendous, though I was worried about halfway through that it would be another Merc 1-2 walk in the park. Meme-Lord Norris is great, and I hope he does well this season. Felt terrible for Albon and Russell. Albon seems to have Hamilton all out of sorts, and it never ends well for either of them. Russell really deserved points in this race, and it sucks that his car gave out. The Williams is at least a bit more competitive this season, but Russell gets more out of it than he has any right too.

I enjoyed the race and found it ironic Verstappen and Ricciardo were the first two out given their history as teammates.

I hadn’t realized all of the contract changes that had come out already.

I’m a big Ricciardo fan based almost entirely off of the Netflix series. He just seems to have terrible luck with cars.

Also, if an F1 pit crew can do their jobs wearing masks, spare me how tough it is at the grocery store.

I'm just as confused how LeClerc managed to make the podium. Ferrari looked absolutely awful leading up to the race.

Mercedes continues to dominate. I feel if it's not Hamilton winning a race, it's Bottas. Week in, week out.

The Netflix F1 series is a great tutorial on the sport and I’m definitely an F1 fan after watching. How frequent are retirements in a typical race? Seemed like an awful lot, but it’s likely attributed to it being the first race as well.

The Netflix F1 series is a great tutorial on the sport and I’m definitely an F1 fan after watching. How frequent are retirements in a typical race? Seemed like an awful lot, but it’s likely attributed to it being the first race as well.

I think it was a combination of first race and temperature at the track.

Yesterday was a lot absent a big crash.

I think it was a combination of first race and temperature at the track.

Yesterday was a lot absent a big crash.

Yeah, yesterday's race was one of attrition. To have only eleven cars actually finish is just wild.

First race of the season, track temperature, and general rustiness all played a role.

I wonder, too, what impact the coming regulation changes will have on this year's crop of cars. If I'm a team on a limited budget (which, at this point, is all of them), I am probably going to be very conservative with my R&D budget for this year's car as I know that major regulatory changes are coming up soon (although they have now been delayed by a year). Why sink too much money into this one when massive changes are on the horizon?

Haven’t watched F1 in ages, but many years ago our company sponsored the Williams Honda team and we had Keke Rosberg and Nigel Mansell as drivers. Went to some races and even got to sit in one of the cars the day before a race. Extremely expensive sport to be involved with.

Austria has provided some good races recently. Last year was a great battle between Verstappen and Leclerc.

Leclerc is hugely talented and the future of Ferrari right now. But I feel his podium was more a result of the attrition and safety cars than it was a good sign for Ferrari. If Red Bull doesn't have mechanical issues or Albon spinning, then they are there battling Mercedes. Ferrari has to hope the upgrades they have coming are going to make a big difference; right now they are a midfield team.

Lando is awesome.

Austria has provided some good races recently. Last year was a great battle between Verstappen and Leclerc.

Leclerc is hugely talented and the future of Ferrari right now. But I feel his podium was more a result of the attrition and safety cars than it was a good sign for Ferrari. If Red Bull doesn't have mechanical issues or Albon spinning, then they are there battling Mercedes. Ferrari has to hope the upgrades they have coming are going to make a big difference; right now they are a midfield team.

Agreed on Ferrari, the car is a piece of shit.

It's been incredibly impressive how quickly McLaren seems to have made the jump. Excited for Lando and Sainz this year and Lando/Ricciardo next.

Pretty sound strategy from Ferrari, honestly. No one can talk about how shitty your car is and how off the pace they are if they wreck each other on the first lap.

Holy shit. I almost started this thread a couple weeks ago. So glad there are some F1 fans here. I got into in March when I watch the Netflix series and loved it. I’ve never been a NASCAR fan, but something about F1 that’s just captivating.

Pumped to see my dude Danny Ric out of that dogshit Renault and into a good looking McLaren next year. Gonna be really interesting to see how all the teams fill out. I think Vettel heads back to Red Bull and Albon loses his seat.

I enjoyed the race and found it ironic Verstappen and Ricciardo were the first two out given their history as teammates.

I hadn’t realized all of the contract changes that had come out already.

I’m a big Ricciardo fan based almost entirely off of the Netflix series. He just seems to have terrible luck with cars.

Also, if an F1 pit crew can do their jobs wearing masks, spare me how tough it is at the grocery store.

“Let’s go fuck some shit up.”

Holy shit. I almost started this thread a couple weeks ago. So glad there are some F1 fans here. I got into in March when I watch the Netflix series and loved it. I’ve never been a NASCAR fan, but something about F1 that’s just captivating.

Pumped to see my dude Danny Ric out of that dogshit Renault and into a good looking McLaren next year. Gonna be really interesting to see how all the teams fill out. I think Vettel heads back to Red Bull and Albon loses his seat.

I’d love to hear Danny’s thoughts on Ocon not getting out of his way yesterday. Particularly after Ocon DNF.

I’d love to hear Danny’s thoughts on Ocon not getting out of his way yesterday. Particularly after Ocon DNF.

Me too. Wonder if that was an Ocon thing or a Renault thing. They haven’t handled his departure well, IMO.

Ocon has an awesome story. Also a dope name.

Ocon had issues with Perez too, back when they were teammates at Force India. I don't know that it would have mattered much yesterday, though, since that Renault definitely limped home down the stretch.

Leclerc definitely made a rookie mistake, but at least he owned up to it. A little easier to do so when you still have three+ seasons left on your contract, but good on him still. Vettel isn't going to get a seat next season. He will sit out and maybe come back in 2022 with lower standards, if he can't find anything else to occupy him.

Yesterday wasn't nearly as exciting as round 1, but I guess they can't all be bangers. Lando kind of saved it at the end though.

What do people think about the Racing Point controversy? I am a Stroll fan so I want things to work out for them but experts seem to think they will be convicted of cheating.

Back