• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy’s Exit

If Hooks needed help with contracts from a rookie lawyer, he was in fact an idiot.

Hooks was not a lawyer there moron! TV was just becoming part of the landscape and thus a very smart move to bring Ben Sutton into the fold. As you may know [but probably don't] Mr Sutton parlayed his knowledge gained at Wake and the college landscape into a very lucrative career when he left Wake to start ISP Sports.

Of course not. But I would pick an attorney that actually had some experience. I suffered through the mid 70's of football at Wake. Hooks was an idiot.

So did I but just how was Wake Forest going to be good in football in the 70's when we had no facilities and Scales gave Hooks no money to work with? Our assistant football coaches were not being paid much more than high school coaches and our facilities were crap. Even when he had the miracle run from 1-10 to 8-3, then 5-6, John Mackovic realized it and got out after 3 years.

Anyone that thinks there was not some discontent when a coach resigns in the summer is crazy.

Surprised on one pointed out that we went after Gary Williams, at BC, very hard. Said he wouldn't leave his team then went to Ohio State the next year.

Anyone that thinks there was not some discontent when a coach resigns in the summer is crazy.

Surprised on one pointed out that we went after Gary Williams, at BC, very hard. Said he wouldn't leave his team then went to Ohio State the next year.

"Buck"eyes

I remember this!! this thread has been a real trip on the memory bus

BKF Should be free'd from the evils of the mods to post on this thread.

Will the mods do anything??!!11!>? Nah !!

"Buck"eyes

In addition, there was the timing factor. It's one thing to leave your team at the end of a season,when the seniors are going and incoming freshmen haven't arrived. It a little different when you have started working with the next season's team guys.

Also, it is much harder to find good assistants in the summer than it is in the spring.

I remember one of the early big misses for Coach Tacy happened up in Mt Airy and it was early in my officiating career. I had been put in quite and exciting game between Mt Airy & North Surry and for those around here at the time, those were the kinds you really wanted to have on a Friday night. Gym filled up at the start of the girls JV game at 4:00 and if you didn't get a seat then or a parking spot, you might not get in. This game featured Mt Airy's James Brim [future Wake football WR & also hellacious basketball player] vs North Surry's Kevin Strickland [future Duke signee]. Gentleman Carl was in the gym along with a young Coach K who happened to get a seat right near mid-court behind the score table. Awesome game, down to the final seconds that lived up to everyone's billing and of course Duke & Coach K got the recruiting win.

Back