• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Walking On at Wake?

When he gets to Winston I can offer him some outstanding football tips that should pay off bigtime.

Does it involve telling him where to get a CHAM or what to order at Mountain Fried Chicken?

Some great advice on this thread.

I was in a similar situation to your son entering college. DII and a few FCS offers (Davidson, ETSU, UT-C) as well as a couple of PWO conversations with Duke. The landscape was a little different then (this was during the Caldwell years at Wake), but I ended up deciding to go to Wake and not play, primarily due to the all-encompassing nature of football at the collegiate level. I was happy with my decision to not walk on, but having to do it all over again, I probably would have chosen to play at Davidson (especially given the similar campus experience/education level between the two schools), but at the time I loved Wake - my sister was there and we had season basketball tickets, driving over from TN for nearly every game.

Good luck to him and it sounds like he doesn't really have a bad option, just deciding what he wants his college experience to be.

Thanks folks. Its an interesting thing to navigate balancing academics, football and the like. Appreciate the thoughts here.

Have you and/or your son had any conversations recently with the Wake coaching staff? If not, I’d contact them. I. Sure they would give you an honest assessment and recommendation. Regardless what he chooses to do, good luck and glad that he’s a Wake fan.

Sounds like the son and his parents have done a great job, whatever he decides to do.

I'm sorry I don't have any insights on walking on at Wake. I'll echo what others have said about being open to scholarships at D2 or FCS schools. My brother played football for a SAC school and had a great experience, both with football and education. Was recruited and ended up with a full ride his last two years. Our family had a blast going to all his games over the years and everyone still gets together and tailgates for games. D2 sports are a lot of fun. I also officiate for a couple of D2 conferences and have enjoyed the experiences of D2 sports on that end as well. D2 sports are great in the NC area.

Last edited:
Friend of mine played football for Davidson, which has grade deflation in comparison with other schools now unless they changed things in the past few years, and when he applied for grad school as a Senior he told me the grade deflation negatively impacted his ability to get into top tier grad schools. Having a 3.2 at Davidson is like having a 3.7 at other schools, or so I'm told. All depends what your long-term goals are.

Friend of mine played football for Davidson, which has grade deflation in comparison with other schools now unless they changed things in the past few years, and when he applied for grad school as a Senior he told me the grade deflation negatively impacted his ability to get into top tier grad schools. Having a 3.2 at Davidson is like having a 3.7 at other schools, or so I'm told. All depends what your long-term goals are.

Still exists. A family friend's son goes there and loves it except for that....It is a SMALL school though....Very small. Their D line coach used to be at Wake so there's a good connection....

Friend of mine played football for Davidson, which has grade deflation in comparison with other schools now unless they changed things in the past few years, and when he applied for grad school as a Senior he told me the grade deflation negatively impacted his ability to get into top tier grad schools. Having a 3.2at Davidson is like having a 3.7 at other schools, or so I'm told. All depends what your long-term goals are.

When I toured Davidson, a random student yelled to the group, "Don't come here, it's too hard."

I didn’t think Pioneer League football teams even had athletic scholarships (Davidson)

When I toured Davidson, a random student yelled to the group, "Don't come here, it's too hard."

That’s funny. When I toured Davidson along with a friend of mine in the fall of 1973, we had a random student ask us, “Are y’all perspective freshmen?” We said yes. He then said “watch out”.

WFU had serious grade deflation in the late 70’s and 80’s. Dean’s list and cum laude were 3.0. I understand that has loosened up a bit- thankfully

The same thing happens at Wake. My transcript sent to law schools included an insert describing the average GPA.

For every school I applied to my GPA was below the 25 percentile but my LSAT was above the 75 percent.

I was looking at possibly playing at Davidson. I went to meet with some admissions representatives at my high school guidance counselor’s office.

It was 9/11. Walking in I thought it was the anniversary of the ‘93 bombing because the news was showing smoking towers.

Walking out I learned the truth. No clue why but I never ended up pursuing anything with Davidson.

sounds like the same stuff wake undergrads used to claim

sounds like the same stuff wake undergrads used to claim

Because that is what we were told as students: "those who matter know there is grade deflation at Wake."

real world response:
tenor.gif

WFU had serious grade deflation in the late 70’s and 80’s. Dean’s list and cum laude were 3.0. I understand that has loosened up a bit- thankfully

Grade deflation was real. Class of '81. Had an undergraduate GPA of 2.78. Now have a doctorate in neurophysiology and a doctorate in medicine...

Because that is what we were told as students: "those who matter know there is grade deflation at Wake."

real world response:
tenor.gif

To be fair, I got waitlisted at a law school and asked if there was anything I could do to help my case and said that I knew my GPA was low for them and their response was: “Your GPA isn’t an issue. You went to Wake and we know that’s a good GPA for the school.”

Grade deflation was real. Class of '81. Had an undergraduate GPA of 2.78. Now have a doctorate in neurophysiology and a doctorate in medicine...

Brad’s brain explodes after reading that last sentence.

When I walked on back in the dark ages, I just sent a VHS tape to the coaching staff and then Coach Faircloth called me up and said they wanted me to walk on. At the time, I think Wake was happy to have semi-athletic warm bodies, so if you were willing to go through all the stuff that was necessary to be on the team, you would be on the team. Maybe it is more competitive with Clawson.

I will echo the assertion that being a member of a D1 football team is an all-encompassing endeavor. After 1 season and part of another, I decided there were better ways to spend my time outside of class.

Back