• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Walking On at Wake?

I played multiple sports in HS and football was my favorite. Not good enough for a scholarship. It was really difficult to watch from the stands my freshman year. I joined the track team, which was fun. In the summer before my sophomore year I got a note from Chuck Mills asking if I wanted to walk on to be a long snapper. I didn’t do it, but it’s one of my biggest regrets. In the mid 70s Wake football watch usually at or near the top of the ‘Bottom 10’ each week and we were everyone’s homecoming game. Even though we got slaughtered, I would have loved to play at Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma and a few others during those years.

I played multiple sports in HS and football was my favorite. Not good enough for a scholarship. It was really difficult to watch from the stands my freshman year. I joined the track team, which was fun. In the summer before my sophomore year I got a note from Chuck Mills asking if I wanted to walk on to be a long snapper. I didn’t do it, but it’s one of my biggest regrets. In the mid 70s Wake football watch usually at or near the top of the ‘Bottom 10’ each week and we were everyone’s homecoming game. Even though we got slaughtered, I would have loved to play at Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma and a few others during those years.

Looking backward at Chuck Ramsey while bent over for 8-10 plays per game would have easily earned you a letter.

I know! It would have been an honor.

"Kick it, Chuck, kick it!!!"
That and the guy who did the head rolls were about it for football "excitement" during my 4 years at Wake. The biggest enthusiasm from the students was the "roll call" for all the frats and houses. Guys and their dates would just explode when their organization's name was called. Now I don't even know if a) each frat or house sits together at the games, and b) if a Wake college fb game is still a date-kinda event.
I will say that beating the Holes at UNC my senior year (Ziggy punt return for a TD) and the celebration that night back at T.O.G. was epic.

That and the guy who did the head rolls were about it for football "excitement" during my 4 years at Wake. The biggest enthusiasm from the students was the "roll call" for all the frats and houses. Guys and their dates would just explode when their organization's name was called. Now I don't even know if a) each frat or house sits together at the games, and b) if a Wake college fb game is still a date-kinda event.
I will say that beating the Holes at UNC my senior year (Ziggy punt return for a TD) and the celebration that night back at T.O.G. was epic.

The guy who did the head rolls was Jeff Dobbs. He was amazing.

My roomie (RIP) used to shag punts for Chuck when Chuck was off practicing by himself on what is now Poteat field. Back then it was just a grassy field, with nothing on it.

I walked on at Wake for golf, and had scholarships at numerous other Division 1 schools. I was there in the mid 80s when we won the NCAA and so I picked a heck of a time. Wake and Ok State were the two hardest programs to get a scholly from in those days - by far. But it was where I always wanted to play and I fell off before my senior year in HS some and Wake didn't end up offering. But I still chose Wake. And my father has never let me forget it either. He still some 30 plus years later gives me shit about choosing expensive Wake over good scholarships at SEC schools and others. I mean, he literally gave me shit about it this past Sunday and he is 85.

So if he chooses to walk-on at Wake, don't be THAT dad. However, my father is the Great Santini.

I walked on at Wake for golf, and had scholarships at numerous other Division 1 schools. I was there in the mid 80s when we won the NCAA and so I picked a heck of a time. Wake and Ok State were the two hardest programs to get a scholly from in those days - by far. But it was where I always wanted to play and I fell off before my senior year in HS some and Wake didn't end up offering. But I still chose Wake. And my father has never let me forget it either. He still some 30 plus years later gives me shit about choosing expensive Wake over good scholarships at SEC schools and others. I mean, he literally gave me shit about it this past Sunday and he is 85.

So if he chooses to walk-on at Wake, don't be THAT dad. However, my father is the Great Santini.

Ha. I went to walk-on tryouts for the golf team. Didn't play well and didn't make it. They didn't take any walk-ons from the tryouts. I wasn't good enough to have gotten attention from Wake beforehand. The team was pretty loaded - as usual.

I remember talking to an asst. coach about the schedule for try-outs the next day - I was taking 20 credits and had a physics lab when the round was scheduled. I was trying to tell the coach my scheduling issues and he just looked at me - like "do you want to play or not"... I could never have handled the time commitment anyway.

Ha. I went to walk-on tryouts for the golf team. Didn't play well and didn't make it. They didn't take any walk-ons from the tryouts. I wasn't good enough to have gotten attention from Wake beforehand. The team was pretty loaded - as usual.

I remember talking to an asst. coach about the schedule for try-outs the next day - I was taking 20 credits and had a physics lab when the round was scheduled. I was trying to tell the coach my scheduling issues and he just looked at me - like "do you want to play or not"... I could never have handled the time commitment anyway.

A buddy of mine went out for golf in the mid 80s. Scratch golfer but not elite. But he could get it around the course in the low 70s. Haddock threw his card in the trash right in front of him after "try outs". I know he's Wake royalty but never liked the guy....

Yes, not a classy move by Jesse H.

Heck, during the whole process where I was in touch with the program trying to get a tryout, through the course access for practice rounds and the multi-day tryout itself, I never even laid eyes on Jesse.

A buddy of mine went out for golf in the mid 80s. Scratch golfer but not elite. But he could get it around the course in the low 70s. Haddock threw his card in the trash right in front of him after "try outs". I know he's Wake royalty but never liked the guy....
So CH what happened?

Wake golf has always been competitive. Intramural teams usually have multiple scratch/1/2 guys.

So CH what happened?
He decided to go to Wake and not walk on. It all turned out really well as he seems to like Wake a lot, is in Barcelona for the semester and is doign really well socally and academically.

He has a friend who walked on at UNC and after two years threw the towel in as it wasn't a good experience at all. He knew that could have been him so he feels good about his choice. There are times he may regret not still playing but he took up Rugby at Wake and is pretty good at it (went to Houston to play in some all star game or something last year) so has an athletic outlet. He likely will play on the club basketball team this year too.

So it all worked out. Hes at the right school, having a good time and its only costing me $70k.....

This is interesting. My dad was a borderline scratch golfer, walked into Jesse's office as a freshman in '72 in bell bottoms and no shoes, and got a spot on the team. Played for a year, never sniffed a match, and quit on his own accord. Even as recent as a few years ago, he'd still get invited to Wake golf alumni events, including the annual dinner/cocktail party in Augusta before the Masters (do they still do this?).

I "won" the walk-on tryouts my freshman year by 5, but didn't get a spot on the team. Don't think Coach Haas liked how much I was partying, playing intramurals, planning to rush/pledge, etc. One round I was -4 through 6 very hungover and with a separated shoulder from intramural football before things went south and I scrapped out a 72. We really weren't very good from '07-'10 (other than Webb and a couple other brief flashes), so it was a bit painful to watch some of our really high numbers in tournaments, thinking I could have done better. But I probably had a lot more fun not playing, and would have still only had maybe a 1/1000 chance of making it on Tour had I played.

I was promised a walk on spot on the team during the spring of my senior year in high school. Once I got to WF, saw the talent on the team and felt the pressure of academics, I gave it up after the fall semester. Still played a lot with some WF players because they were all in my frat. Still have my WF team golf bag.

Back