• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Walking On at Wake?

When I walked on back in the dark ages, I just sent a VHS tape to the coaching staff and then Coach Faircloth called me up and said they wanted me to walk on. At the time, I think Wake was happy to have semi-athletic warm bodies, so if you were willing to go through all the stuff that was necessary to be on the team, you would be on the team. Maybe it is more competitive with Clawson.

I will echo the assertion that being a member of a D1 football team is an all-encompassing endeavor. After 1 season and part of another, I decided there were better ways to spend my time outside of class.

Yeah, I never walked on but know some who have. For every inspiring story of some guy getting a scholarship for his junior and/or senior year, there are two dozen guys who quit after a year or two, and for good reason.

Yeah, I never walked on but know some who have. For every inspiring story of some guy getting a scholarship for his junior and/or senior year, there are two dozen guys who quit after a year or two, and for good reason.

I try and explain this to him but its a struggle for a 17 YO who loves football that it may be different at a D1 program. That being said, he's incredibly focused during the HS football season and likes the structure. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for him. The good news is he's picking academics first - football second so if he opts not to play, he's still at a good school that he wants to go to. Im worried he "likes" Davidson because they are showing him some love versus him really wanting to go there.

Being a D1 athlete is pretty much a full time job. That 20 hrs/week is easily worked around. We had a football walk-on who lived on our hall. We never saw the guy.

For your son, there is all that practice and work but no PT. Is he OK with that? I guess in theory he may be, but nobody knows until reality sets in. The nice thing is there is sometimes an extra scholly to give to an upperclassman walk-on.

Still exists. A family friend's son goes there and loves it except for that....It is a SMALL school though....Very small. Their D line coach used to be at Wake so there's a good connection....

That coach you reference is a dirty scumbag. Ray McCartney was part of the Wakeyleaks scandal. Some great connection there.

If McCartney was worth two shits as a coach, he would still be coaching D-I football. Not glorified high school ball.

I was a mediocre HS QB and, mostly out of curiosity, emailed the QB Coach at the time (Jeff Mullen) before getting to campus in 2006. I guess he had seen me on film, as Wake had previously been recruiting our RB - he got injured and ended up playing at Harvard. Coach Mullen was incredibly nice and told me I had a spot on the team, no tryout or anything.

I was pleasantly surprised, but didn't end up pursuing it. I could not have cut it as a glorified tackling dummy, and would have washed out quickly, but it would have been sweet to get an ACC Championship ring.

Does it involve telling him where to get a CHAM or what to order at Mountain Fried Chicken?

non sports -- I so miss CHAM and Mountain Fried.. And Honeymonk..

Carryon

That coach you reference is a dirty scumbag. Ray McCartney was part of the Wakeyleaks scandal. Some great connection there.

If McCartney was worth two shits as a coach, he would still be coaching D-I football. Not glorified high school ball.

Ah. When he was at Army. Small world we live in....

Ah. When he was at Army. Small world we live in....

Lowlife sack of shit who hit the lottery by joining one of Grobe's early staffs, long before they got to Wake. Overly loyal Grobe never fired cocksuckers like McCartney, Elrod, etc. The list goes on and on.

I don't know how it is now, but there was grade inflation at Wake in the 90s when I graduated. I'm pretty sure something like 60 percent of my class finished with Latin honors. This was before the Latin honors GPA cutoffs were increased circa 2000 or thereabouts.

Of course Wake is still a tough school, and the curve is high because most Wake students work hard and do well. Maybe the 90s were the start of a trend or maybe they were an aberration.

I knew a guy who walked on at Wake in the 90’s , went to a few practices and then went to Bill Dooleys office and told him he was going to “walk off”. Dooley laughed and said he never heard that one before .

I was invited to walk on (run on?) to the Wake cross country team. I had run a 4:31 mile my senior year in and had very small, partial offers from a few schools in the northeast. The offers were so small, my parents and I didn’t even consider them as a factor in my college choice.

My HS guidance counselor loved Wake. His son and one nephew were in school at the time. (Any Lambda Chis here from my era know some of the guys I ran with in HS). I think based largely on his input, I got several calls from then Wake CC coach Dellastacios during the summer after my my senior year. (I’m sure I’m not spelling his name correctly). When I first met him on campus, he said he’d be able to give me scholarship assistance if I made a significant contribution to the program.

It took two workouts for me to realize that was never going to happen. Walking on in any sport at a school in a P5 conference is really tough. The odds are long against.

I pulled together some data on grade inflation a couple of years ago that might be interesting:

HS GPA out of 4.0 was virtually identically to my Wake GPA.

FWIW, for class of 12, there were 55 Summa graduates, 124 Magna, and 213 Cum Laude. Not 100% sure how many graduated, but I think 1100. So that's top 5%, top 16%, and top 36%.

For reference, Vandy targets top 5% for Summa (3.9 GPA vs 3.8 for Wake), top 13% for Magna (3.8 vs 3.6 for Wake), and top 25% for Cum Laude (3.7 vs 3.4). Duke is 5%, 15%, 25%.

Wake's % of Summa graduates seems pretty consistent with other institutions (Duke also targets the top 5%), but the % of students with other distinctions is higher. If one applied the Vandy GPAs though (which are set every year, based on the prev. year I believe), Wake would likely have significantly fewer students receiving distinction. Of course, there are two obvious and opposing potential drivers of that (difficulty of grading vs quality of students).

Grade deflation or inflation isn't jsut what happens at the top. It's whether or not professors feel good about giving a C to 35% to 40% of a class of smart kids who did reasonably good work when they would have easily gotten a B or better at UNC (or Duke).

first semester freshman year I took calc 112 with my roommate - I think we were 2 of the 3 freshmen in the class

going into the final. I had an A; my roommate had a D

we both ended up with B's, which in his case was mathematically impossible sans help

early the following semester I learned that Dr. Waddill had recommended me to the tutoring center, which...gee thanks, but how about throwing me an A since you recognize I helped my roommate?

back to the subject matter, also in the class was a walk-on basketball player who earned a couple of letters and did all right for himself

I don't know how it is now, but there was grade inflation at Wake in the 90s when I graduated. I'm pretty sure something like 60 percent of my class finished with Latin honors. This was before the Latin honors GPA cutoffs were increased circa 2000 or thereabouts.

Of course Wake is still a tough school, and the curve is high because most Wake students work hard and do well. Maybe the 90s were the start of a trend or maybe they were an aberration.

I believe. 2.65 gpa in 1990 put you in the top 1/2 of class. Grade deflation was always talked about back then. 3.0 was cum laude

Being a football walk-on at a school like Wake seems like a form of masochism

In exchange for all your down time in college you get the shit kicked out of you and maybe a Mayo Bowl ring.

Last edited:
One of my high school friends walled onto the basketball team during the Childress years.

Kenny "Legalize" Herbst. As a State fan, I always saw myself as "behind enemy lines" in Winston, but Kenny made me a hardcore fan for a few years.

His mom was one of my regulars at eh coffee cart at Baptist for a while.

Back