• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Truist Field at Wake Forest

Brangus

Reaction score
Official per twitter. Awful corporate name. It's still Groves to me until we can get a decent nickname for the place. (Like the Swamp at UF, etc.)

Last edited:
Not to be confused with the Braves' home ballpark.

Official per twitter. Awful corporate name. It's still Groves to me until we can get a decent nickname for the place. (Like the Swamp at UF, etc.)

I t won’t be Truist long enough to get used to calling it that, until next merger or reorganization.
How about we all go with Groves?

But none of those are "We lied to you when we said it would remain BB&T Field at Groves Stadium."

I was actually trying to find the press release that claimed it would always be "at Groves Stadium" and either Google has lost it or it's been scrubbed from the internet

Does anyone know how long this naming deal lasts? Google shows the original deal was a 10 year deal but I can't find anything about the extension.

Also...now the two largest outdoor sporting event facilities in W-S are now named Truist. Overkill much?

"Truist Field at Wake Forest in Groves Stadium, sponsored by Krispy Kreme... AKA, the Wrigley Field of College Football"

That's how I refer to it, at least. Catchy. Rolls right off the tongue.

The original 10 year deal started in 2007. How long is the new deal for?

They wrote the check, so it's Truist Field. We can pout and call it whatever we want, but everywhere we read about Wake Football it's going to be Truist Field, and the giant sign on the stadium is going to say Truist. So, it's Truist Field. Like it better now? Too bad! It's still Truist because cash is king.

What a stupid name for a company. Bunch of idiot branding agencies must have cashed huge checks on that one. I bet it came down to three awful names like Truist Bank, Bankist Bank, and Bestist Bank. Of those, Truist was an easy win.

They wrote the check, so it's Truist Field. We can pout and call it whatever we want, but everywhere we read about Wake Football it's going to be Truist Field, and the giant sign on the stadium is going to say Truist. So, it's Truist Field. Like it better now? Too bad! It's still Truist because cash is king.

What a stupid name for a company. Bunch of idiot branding agencies must have cashed huge checks on that one. I bet it came down to three awful names like Truist Bank, Bankist Bank, and Bestist Bank. Of those, Truist was an easy win.

Truliant Federal Credit Union's case against Truist is still ongoing. Truliant's headquarters is in W-S.

Truliant Federal Credit Union (“Truliant”) filed a lawsuit alleging the name Truist infringes on Truliant’s trademark in its name. For a discussion of trademark law and trademark infringement, please see Lindley Law’s previous blog post related to the trademark dispute regarding Duke’s Mayonnaise. Recently in the dispute between Trulian and Truist, Truliant moved for a preliminary injunction, seeking to prevent Truist from using its name pending the outcome of the lawsuit. What is a preliminary injunction, and how does a court determine whether to issue it?

http://lindleylawoffice.com/blog/2020/02/27/truliant-and-truist-trademark-dispute-what-is-a-preliminary-injunction/

https://www.journalnow.com/business/truist-claims-truliants-brand-lacks-commercial-strength-in-lawsuit-counter-punch/article_86795389-de9e-5c06-9bac-eaae95d7089d.html

Truliant lawsuit against Truist likely to last well into 2021

https://www.journalnow.com/business/truliant-lawsuit-against-truist-likely-to-last-well-into-2021/article_0dcc7264-4dfc-5b60-b60b-8ad9006575ab.html

Ugh. Well Currie isn't going to find his way out of that one.

And I mean ... if it was one or the other, I think 99.9% of this board would rather have the basketball coach than a new name for the football stadium.

Also based off mergers.
Not really. They changed the name from Branch Banking & Company to Branch Banking and Trust in 1913, just added some other regional banks and kept the same BB&T name since then.

Back