• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Truist Field at Wake Forest

I didn't realize Phillips Arena was State Farm Arena. That happened two years ago and I've watched several Hawks games since then. I guess brands do the research to justify spending the money. I assume they get enough return from it.

I live here and I didn't know that until midway through last season. I had thought State Farm Arena was an entirely different facility within Atlanta. Of course I only go to a Hawks game like once a year.

I will say that Atlanta is good about changing the signage of these things. When the change was made from Suntrust Park to Truist Park, every road sign and directions sign and on-site sign was updated right away.

yawn, is this really an issue? Every one knows the long storied history of Wake Forest Football in Groves Stadium.

So who was Groves? Truist is a horrible name for anything, but I wouldn't mind vetting this guy for white supremacy before I get too nostalgic about the name.

I remember going to some great wake games at the Entertainment and Sports arena in Raleigh.

Though I think it had already changed names by the time my dad and I watched Josh Howard drop 27 points to clinch the outright conference title. Maybe my most enjoyable wake BB road experience

If a bland corporation wants to give our Athletic Dept money just like what happens at every other football stadium, I’m not sure what we’re complaining about. Corporations are going to spend their ad budgets somewhere, so it might as well be us. This is that much less fundraising that has to occur at the individual level and maybe helps with things like ticket prices.

Apparently they overlooked the opportunity to get ahead of the competition and go with “Truister” or “Truistest”.

Stupid bank name. Sticking with an established name makes more sense to me.

Oh well, doesn’t really matter. Like a lot of y’all, I still think “Groves” anyway.

I will say that Atlanta is good about changing the signage of these things. When the change was made from Suntrust Park to Truist Park, every road sign and directions sign and on-site sign was updated right away.

DC is the complete opposite. There are still some MCI Center signs floating around the city.

Good old school read.

I completely missed that Maryland renamed Byrd Stadium back in 2015 due to President Byrd’s support for segregation.

A little bit of info here about that, from a 2007 story about the BB&T change.

FWIW, I didn't even realize the "original" Groves was in Wake Forest, NC, and the name just was transferred to W-S when the school moved and built a new stadium (after playing at Bowman Gray for the first 13 years.

From the article: "Under the terms of the 10-year arrangement — with unspecified financial considerations — the Winston-Salem-based bank will not completely push the Groves name out of the place. University officials said the family will be honored more prominently on the physical site of the facility than ever before. Those who attend games will see “Groves Stadium” in bigger, bolder letters, for example."

Where is the name "Groves Stadium" anywhere at the football facility, much less bigger or bolder than before?

Yep

I’m pretty sure it never stopped being Groves Stadium. Just also became “BB&T” field with new money so that’s the name Wake started using in all their promotional stuff.

Back