• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten likely conference games only this fall

If Notre Dame wants scheduling help from the ACC, then they should have to join.

Of course, Swofford has no backbone and is out after this season, so he doesn't care. Typical Hole.

Totally agree. Fuck Notre Dame. If they want to join the conference, fine. Otherwise fuck ‘em.

I like ND being in the ACC, even if it is part time - means I can take a train out to South Bend to watch the Deacs

I think we will all have to wait and see. My guess is that commissioners are looking at how the northeast flattened their curve. It is almost good fortune, thru fall sports lens only, that the south is having their spike now. With New York style response, the south could be at great numbers by Sept 15 for an October start. But collective work and some stay at home orders need to happen unfortunately. Its doable though.

That said, mlb is screwed. And probably the nba as well.

Short of arrest threat for failure to comply, there are too many "freedom" fighters in the South who think it is their birthright not to wear a mask in public.

Just push the entire season back to the spring, I don't understand why that hasn't already happened.

Y'all need to wake up. You hear from college coaches. The President's of the Universities are going to shut it down. We had a chance, but the pussies of America couldn't stay locked down for a few more weeks.

I don't even think a threat of an arrest would do it for a lot of people.

Really? Pretty sure those people claim the police won’t bother you if you don’t break the law. They’ll comply.

Y'all need to wake up. You hear from college coaches. The President's of the Universities are going to shut it down. We had a chance, but the pussies of America couldn't stay locked down for a few more weeks.

I agree with this.

The Presidents of the universities, and all of those working under them, will follow the lead of the Ivy League and shut it down. That's why the Ivy League decision was so big. It means nothing to the football coaches/ADs/Power Conference Commissioners, but to the University Presidents, the Ivy League sets the tone on so many things that relate to universities.

Also, agree that one variable that seems to set our country apart from Canada, Europe, China, Korea, Japan that dealt with this in a mature way, and opened back up in a mature way, and have had a flatline of cases for months: USA leads the world in yahoo idiots that couldn't follow a few basic rules to keep everyone else safe. We could've had football this fall (and a lot of other things), but now we won't.

So the ivory tower elitists are going to cancel football?

Just push the entire season back to the spring, I don't understand why that hasn't already happened.

This is where we'll eventually end up - making everything a spring sport. And that's hoping for mass distribution of a vaccine by February. Even if the southern states get their heads out of their asses and get the rona under better control, the numbers probably won't get much better in the states that have stabilized their numbers in the fall or winter. I just don't think we have college sports without a vaccine.

Same goes for the NFL. With the rona numbers where they are, it's just going to roll through a bunch of teams, and you can't have an effective bubble with rosters of 60-85 players. The only way to have a season is going to end up having the league agree to be part of a vaccine study, and no one wants to discuss that possibility.

Short of arrest threat for failure to comply, there are too many "freedom" fighters in the South who think it is their birthright not to wear a mask in public.

Plenty of people all over the country have been fighting for freedom recently, with and without masks, and definitely ignoring social distancing guidelines.

I don't even think a threat of an arrest would do it for a lot of people.

See above comment...not exclusive to southern United States.

This sentiment probably overlaps with a lot of “responsible gun owners”

Responsible gun owner here. I voluntarily wear my mask.

Really? Pretty sure those people claim the police won’t bother you if you don’t break the law. They’ll comply.

Lol, "those people."

We didn't have to stay locked down, just behave responsibly following gradual reopening. But apparently that was too much to ask the US population.

App state fans should go find their own board. It's probably a chalkboard in some shanty in boone.

if there is a dumber set of fans in the state i don't know who it is. they make ECU fans look like geniuses.

App has a good team. But so does Wake, playing at home. Let’s not get all chicken little about that game.

Not chicken at all about playing them and I think we will win because we are good also AND have a great coach! But these guys are not the little 1AA team up the mountain anymore, they have tons of talent and we did struggle mightily with them up there several years ago. Plus now that they have gotten over the hump of winning P5 games and even on the road [after suffering devastating defeats against us & Tennessee in Boone], they have confidence. That said, I love our offense next year with an experienced Hartman under center, a healthy Surratt who was leading all the P5 schools in receiving yards when he got hurt AND Greene now loaded with confidence since he got 4 games under his belt while redshirting. Not to mention the defense will be better.

Don't see any way the season happens this fall and if it does, there will be multiple forfeits and no real consensus on how to crown a champion.

Football wise I think the Wake/App line would open between 1.5 either way and settle around a toss up. App slightly better on neutral field metrics wise.

I've been saying for awhile that best case scenario was conference only. I have had a feeling early season (nonconference) games would get bumped making way for a wider variety of dates to complete the nonconference and postseason slate with healthy teams. The ethical dilemmas teams are going to face with positive cases, required quarantines, contact tracing and additional quarantines etc etc is going to wreak havoc on the season and have a lot of people pointing fingers if games are played and positive cases arise afterwards.

Back