• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten likely conference games only this fall

Then we will be having the same conversation in December.

Most likely, but it at least buys us 4 months. Also maybe postponing football will have an effect on people's personal behaviors that mass illness and death do not.

Wake should hold on as long as possible before canceling games. Let the opponents forfeit all the games and maybe we can just default our way into the national championship game.

Wake should hold on as long as possible before canceling games. Let the opponents forfeit all the games and maybe we can just default our way into the national championship game.

Damn it birdman that's the smartest thing I've ever heard.

As we have already seen, lots of schools are going to be forced to drop certain non-revenue sports because of the impact of the pandemic on athletic department budgets. The problem for WF is that it sponsors so few D1 sports, there's not much to drop. Pretty sure the ACC has a minimum number sports that a school must compete in to be a member, and wonder if WF is close to the minimum. Also, with Title IX requirements and a football program, it makes almost impossible to drop any women's programs. WF only sponsors 8 male sports, and that includes cross country and track in which there is a cross over of athletes and coaches; so, it's really just 7. Those 7 are all either steeped in tradition (golf), nationally competitive (soccer and tennis), heavily funded by committed alumni (baseball) or revenue sports (football and basketball). So, don't see, an opportunity to cut costs other than to just defund scholarships.

We already have cases where this virus killed or severely impacted people in this age group. Someone will die and it's game over. And it's cool because We don't have to be weak ads people. We cancel this year and await greater days. Let's get on with it.

As we have already seen, lots of schools are going to be forced to drop certain non-revenue sports because of the impact of the pandemic on athletic department budgets. The problem for WF is that it sponsors so few D1 sports, there's not much to drop. Pretty sure the ACC has a minimum number sports that a school must compete in to be a member, and wonder if WF is close to the minimum. Also, with Title IX requirements and a football program, it makes almost impossible to drop any women's programs. WF only sponsors 8 male sports, and that includes cross country and track in which there is a cross over of athletes and coaches; so, it's really just 7. Those 7 are all either steeped in tradition (golf), nationally competitive (soccer and tennis), heavily funded by committed alumni (baseball) or revenue sports (football and basketball). So, don't see, an opportunity to cut costs other than to just defund scholarships.

I don't think the cross country athletes and coaches are the same track and field athletes and coaches for the 100 and 200 meter sprint events, the hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault, discus, shot put, or the javelin. Track and field and cross country are kind of two separate sports.

I don't think the cross country athletes and coaches are the same track and field athletes and coaches for the 100 and 200 meter sprint events, the hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault, discus, shot put, or the javelin. Track and field and cross country are kind of two separate sports.

I was referring to the distance events, where there is cross over in athletes and coaches. With a few exceptions, WF doesn't fund much scholarship money in the other track and field disciplines, unless the athlete also played football.

Hey Scoop Reff !! Would your beloved Gamecocksuckers be underdogs versus Appalachian ??

We aren't getting sports back. We aren't having nice things. Gonna be years until we have legit sports back.

Just sit back and enjoy some combat sport and fight nights, and give football a couple of years boys.

I was referring to the distance events, where there is cross over in athletes and coaches. With a few exceptions, WF doesn't fund much scholarship money in the other track and field disciplines, unless the athlete also played football.

Yeah, I’m not privy to how much scholarship $ is available to cc runners or high jumpers. From my personal experience, which is a long time ago, Wake scholarships for distance runners was next to nothing.

IIRC, Wake sports is at the minimum number required for Division I status.

no, minimum is 14 sports (6 men and 8 women, or 7 and 7) and we offer 16

Vandy has 6 men's sports (and not sure whether xc offers any scholarships) and 9 women's

Right, so it’s really not just 7 sports. Track and field and cross country are separate sports.

There isn't going to be a football season, or fall sports. If that doesn't drive this home, nothing short of The Stand like deaths in the street will.

Last edited:
There isn't going to be a football season, or fall sports. If that doesn't drive this home, nothing short of The Stand like deaths in the street will.

yeah, everyone is trying their best to come up with reasonable contingencies...but it ain't happenin

Back