• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

5 star JT Daniels immediately eligible at UGA

Some Georgia fans are wondering if they are getting the Jake Fromm/Justin Fields situation 2.0.

If that happens with Newman it's just for one season. The bigger problem will be after this season when they have Daniels (5-star), Mathis (4-star), Vandagriff (5-star), and Beck (4-star).

If that happens with Newman it's just for one season. The bigger problem will be after this season when they have Daniels (5-star), Mathis (4-star), Vandagriff (5-star), and Beck (4-star).

Wouldn’t that be a nice “problem” to have!

Mater Dei is one of the best high school programs in the country, and they play a very difficult schedule (last year played elite teams from AZ, MD, DC plus top Cali schools). They went 12-1 last year, and MaxPreps ranked them the #2 team in the country (lost to #1 39-34).

Oh and Matt Leinart and Matt Barkley went to Mater Dei.

Beat me to it typical Brasky bluster. Daniels started as a true freshman at USC who reclassified and had okay numbers with okay talent around him. He beat out Slovis for the starting job as a sophomore before he got hurt.

That's what I remember. I thought he lost his job due to injury.

Due a little research on Daniels' number and how USC fans felt about him. He was terrible in the Fresno State opener that he got hurt in last year. I fairly regularly listen to the Petros and Money Show podcast, as I've been a fan from their Fox Sports Radio days, and the best thing that happened to Clay Helton was for Daniels to get hurt and Slovis to take over. Helton promised him and his private QB coach (who has a lot of influence in CA recruiting) the starting job from Day 1 in order to get him to USC a year early, and he was underwhelming at best.

Daniels will be at his third school by 2022, he's not a gamer.

Due a little research on Daniels' number and how USC fans felt about him. He was terrible in the Fresno State opener that he got hurt in last year. I fairly regularly listen to the Petros and Money Show podcast, as I've been a fan from their Fox Sports Radio days, and the best thing that happened to Clay Helton was for Daniels to get hurt and Slovis to take over. Helton promised him and his private QB coach (who has a lot of influence in CA recruiting) the starting job from Day 1 in order to get him to USC a year early, and he was underwhelming at best.

Daniels will be at his third school by 2022, he's not a gamer.

Tell us more about his HS career though. I guess he just bought his way to starting for 3 years (would have been 4 if he stayed his Senior year), and that sweet Cali cash yielded 12,000 yards, 152 TDs, and 14 INTs against some of the best competition in the country.

Tell us more about his HS career though. I guess he just bought his way to starting for 3 years (would have been 4 if he stayed his Senior year), and that sweet Cali cash yielded 12,000 yards, 152 TDs, and 14 INTs against some of the best competition in the country.

That was kind of my entire point. He's been groomed and protect since he was toddler, went to a football factory HS where he was surrounded by highly recruited kids and faced little to no adversity. Cut to USC and he goes 5-7 and underwhelms his Freshman year. He doesn't have a big arm, isn't that athletic, and wouldn't have been a 5 star if he was playing at a lower profile school.

Anyways we'll find out in the next year or two. My prediction is that he never plays a significant down of football for UGA.

That was kind of my entire point. He's been groomed and protect since he was toddler, went to a football factory HS where he was surrounded by highly recruited kids and faced little to no adversity. Cut to USC and he goes 5-7 and underwhelms his Freshman year. He doesn't have a big arm, isn't that athletic, and wouldn't have been a 5 star if he was playing at a lower profile school.

Anyways we'll find out in the next year or two. My prediction is that he never plays a significant down of football for UGA.

Football factories don't start QBs that can't cut it, especially not as a freshman or sophomore. Will happily take the other side of your prediction as a friendly 12 pack of choice boards bet, if you'd like. Don't necessarily think he'll start over Newman, but he'll get playing time (either by injury, playing style, or poor Newman performance) this season.

My take is that if Jamie doesn't play and perform he is certainly not a high draft pick. Obviously if he can't beat out Daniels, he's not a high draft pick. This is what you get when you bet on yourself.

Before injuries plagued us last year, especially to Surratt and Newman himself along with Washington's bum ankle, Jamie was in the Top 8 of Heisman voting in mid-October. So I would say he would be very draftable and a high pick next season.

Oh really ? If he's not the starter next year you'd spend a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on Jamie Newman who started 16 games at Wake (10-6, 6-6 v P5 competition) and couldn't beat out a some RS Sophomore at Georgia who everybody on this board says isn't any good ?

Oh really ? If he's not the starter next year you'd spend a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on Jamie Newman who started 16 games at Wake (10-6, 6-6 v P5 competition) and couldn't beat out a some RS Sophomore at Georgia who everybody on this board says isn't any good ?

NFL will defs not draft him if people on this board think Newman was beaten out by a kid that wasn't very good.

Good to know that Kiper and McShay follow this board. I thought it was only recruits and their parents. Do we have any parents posting any more? I always enjoyed interacting with Jamie Skeens' mom.

While that could certainly be true that a QB, any QB beaten out as a starter would be highly unlikely to go in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, I somewhat doubt this happens to Newman. First off he is a graduated senior who has now had a little time in the UGa program. Newman in his career at Wake completed 60.5% of his passes for almost 4000 yards, 35 TD's and only 16 int's with a QB rating of 142.7. While Daniels was the #3 pocket passer coming out of high school and a starter who completed 2672 yards for 14 TD's & 10 int's as a frosh, he did get beat out as a soph for the starting job. Thus the reason for his transfer. Kedon Slovis replaced him at QB and had a record breaking season so Daniels was not going to see any time unless there was an injury. I don't believe he plans on seeing any time this season [should it be played] unless there is an injury and knows that. UGa took him for the following several seasons and insurance like all the great programs do.

Drafting quarterbacks is such a shit show. I could see Newman having a good season and scouts falling in love with his frame and physical skills and him getting a ton of hype. I could also see him having a good season but not being seen as a prospect who can reliably make NFL throws, which I think is the more likely result. If I had to guess, I think he gets drafted in the 4th round. And I fully expect to be completely wrong, and he'll either be a 1st round pick or go undrafted.

ETA: Newman reminds me of Dak, who went in the 4th round.

Bleacher Report out today with NFL mock draft. Jamie Newman, 1st round, 14th pick overall to the Chicago Bears!!
Also Sage Surratt #19 overall to Green Bay & Boogie Basham #21 to Indy.

Bleacher Report out today with NFL mock draft. Jamie Newman, 1st round, 14th pick overall to the Chicago Bears!!
Also Sage Surratt #19 overall to Green Bay & Boogie Basham #21 to Indy.

So the year we have 2 first round picks, there will be no college football. That’s about right.

I kinda agree w brasky- so cal HS football is basically a giant flag football league and meter dei is way better that 2/3 of the teams they play. System qb...

When I first saw this I was like, "Who the hell is that ? He looks familiar."

I kinda agree w brasky- so cal HS football is basically a giant flag football league and meter dei is way better that 2/3 of the teams they play. System qb...

They play teams from all over the country, and their division is pretty loaded. The only team they lost to last year, St John Bosco, finished ranked as the #1 team in the nation. But yeah, West Forsyth could prob beat them, y'all right.

Back