• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the best dessert?

The best is a very tart lemon cake. 99% of lemon cakes you find try to cut the sour flavor of the lemons too much. I always want to explain to the chef that people who are ordering a lemon cake probably like sour foods.

So everyone has said pecan pie, right?

Chocolate eclair cake is crazy good too.

other personal favorite: cinnamon rolls with really good bread (broche/challah) with cream cheese frosting (not sweet). had one somewhere in dc that had a bourbon cream cheese frosting that was monte. but most cinnamon rolls end up being "ruined" with too much sticky sweetness, imo.

my grandmother used to make blackberries and dumplings from blackberries we picked up near their place in western NC

granddad would make peach ice cream

two favorites from growing up

My mom always made peach ice cream in the summer with one of those loud ass machines that needs ice and rock salt. So good.

Serious Eats is my go to for ice cream recipes. Prob gonna try this soon since I have a big bag of Reese’s eggs in my freezer

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/reeses-chocolate-peanut-butter-cup-ice-cream-recipe.html

Yeah, Stella Parks recipes on Serious Eats are especially can't miss.

Highly highly recommend her cookbook. Won a James Beard Award when it came out. I've made tons of recipes from it and they have all been GREAT

https://www.amazon.com/BraveTart-American-Desserts-Stella-Parks/dp/0393239861/

Yep, we’ve got it. My wife is the baker mostly, but I make the ice cream

Put me down for peach cobbler with ice cream.

And pie > cake. I do love some carrot cake though.

So everyone has said pecan pie, right?

Chocolate eclair cake is crazy good too.

I'm a little surprised you've made the only mention of the bolded. Though remarkably simple to make, it still has a high ceiling especially with freshly shelled pecans picked from the orchard within the last few days before baking.

I personally don't have a "best" dessert. It all depends on factors such as mood, accompanying food/drink or season. The first thing that came to mind though, for best dessert experience was an apple pie in Amsterdam, and I'm not even a lover of apple pie generally.

I can tell you the worst - Indian sweets. I'm saying this as someone that LOVES all manner of Indian food, just not the sweets which are disgusting.

We used to go up to the parkway and pick wild blueberries to make pies. Blueberry pie is not the best dessert but it’s still a pretty cool concept.

I'm a little surprised you've made the only mention of the bolded. Though remarkably simple to make, it still has a high ceiling especially with freshly shelled pecans picked from the orchard within the last few days before baking.

I personally don't have a "best" dessert. It all depends on factors such as mood, accompanying food/drink or season. The first thing that came to mind though, for best dessert experience was an apple pie in Amsterdam, and I'm not even a lover of apple pie generally.

I can tell you the worst - Indian sweets. I'm saying this as someone that LOVES all manner of Indian food, just not the sweets which are disgusting.

I think you nailed why only one person has mentioned pecan pie. It's hard to appreciate a dessert like that when it is 100 degrees outside. Ask this question in December and everyone praising key lime pie would be raving about pecan and sweet potato pie

Back