• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

LOL. Asking for a raise isn’t an adult thing to do?

As a handful of guys in a half assed football conference with half empty stadiums and shitty TV ratings they don't have that much leverage. If they get the SEC and B1G on board as part of a union they might have something. The thing is, the best players are gone in a few years and don't play by the rules anyway. The other guys are completely expendable.

Also, I don't understand the position that the full ride college scholarship isn't a thing of value. I understand that college football is nearly a full time job, but nobody forced these kids and their parents to play college football or go to college in the first place. Additionally, stipends are about $1,000 per month.

And if being a college football player is something you consider to be a job, rather than a means to an end, your head's in the wrong place. If you're a bona fide NFL prospect, you need everything a P5 college football team can give you to develop in to an NFL player. Everybody else is just aloong for the ride and should be figuring out how to use that scholarship to secure their future.

all tracks fine until you zoom out and take into account the $1.5 billion tv contract in 2020, coaches making millions, and lots of schools bringing in ridiculous money via merchandising, ticket sales, etc.

all while kids aren't even allowed to pursue the highest level of professional football in the United States for three years, nor (until very recently) allowed to make money on their likeness

I wonder why everyone wants to fight Ph on this when some of us other, paler posters have also brought up the racial aspect of this.

Weird.

I take issue with the racial connotations PH makes by referring to the black players as "boys".

As a handful of guys in a half assed football conference with half empty stadiums and shitty TV ratings they don't have that much leverage. If they get the SEC and B1G on board as part of a union they might have something. The thing is, the best players are gone in a few years and don't play by the rules anyway. The other guys are completely expendable.

Also, I don't understand the position that the full ride college scholarship isn't a thing of value. I understand that college football is nearly a full time job, but nobody forced these kids and their parents to play college football or go to college in the first place. Additionally, stipends are about $1,000 per month.

And if being a college football player is something you consider to be a job, rather than a means to an end, your head's in the wrong place. If you're a bona fide NFL prospect, you need everything a P5 college football team can give you to develop in to an NFL player. Everybody else is just aloong for the ride and should be figuring out how to use that scholarship to secure their future.

A full scholarship, stipend, room and board and (at some schools) opportunity for quality education definitely has value. Tired argument. Profit sharing is just silly. I'd be perfectly happy to watch D2 or D3 competitive athletics as a bunch of quasi-professional athletes not even pretending to be students.

Reasonable improvements:

If it doesn't already exist, offer quality medical insurance that can be bought at a reasonable price by the athlete (stipends could be increased to cover the amount) and make the insurance available beyond enrollment at the university. (Although I thought ACA fixed all this?)

D1 universities should offer more academic programs (majors/minors) in professional sports related fields. Maybe provide an education that some student-athletes would find more meaningful/beneficial to their futures.

all tracks fine until you zoom out and take into account the $1.5 billion tv contract in 2020, coaches making millions, and lots of schools bringing in ridiculous money via merchandising, ticket sales, etc.

all while kids aren't even allowed to pursue the highest level of professional football in the United States for three years, nor (until very recently) allowed to make money on their likeness

Perfectly happy to get rid of that rule.

Also very few college athletics programs generate profits. This idea that colleges are robber barons getting rich is ridiculous. "Paying" football players would make athletics unsustainable at the vast majority of schools and at the few that generate any extra money would simply be depriving opportunities for other low-income student athletes.

What do you tell 50% of the athletes from non-revenue sports when 50% of the football revenue no longer exists to fund their scholarships? And should there be coaching salary caps across the board? How do you implement?

Non-revenue sports are mostly populated by white, middle to upper middle class athletes. So the college athletics system as it exists right now shuffles money earned by mostly black athletes (football and basketball) to mostly white middle class athletes.

A full scholarship, stipend, room and board and (at some schools) opportunity for quality education definitely has value. Tired argument. Profit sharing is just silly. I'd be perfectly happy to watch D2 or D3 competitive athletics as a bunch of quasi-professional athletes not even pretending to be students.

Reasonable improvements:

If it doesn't already exist, offer quality medical insurance that can be bought at a reasonable price by the athlete (stipends could be increased to cover the amount) and make the insurance available beyond enrollment at the university. (Although I thought ACA fixed all this?)

D1 universities should offer more academic programs (majors/minors) in professional sports related fields. Maybe provide an education that some student-athletes would find more meaningful/beneficial to their futures.

So aren’t you describing a Tech Trade school? And wouldn’t a semipro team “authorized” by a college be a form of a trade school supported by fan money independent of academia with a profit potential. So we drill down to the basic purposees of trad schools vs academic schools and the worsening problem of merging the two while tiptoeing around pay and profit The current concept cannot continue to work. Just too many diverse goals. Let Wake sell is name to apro-prep for profit and prepare athletes for the pros

What do you tell 50% of the athletes from non-revenue sports when 50% of the football revenue no longer exists to fund their scholarships? And should there be coaching salary caps across the board? How do you implement?

Most of those sports aren't full scholarship anyway. Baseball gets 11.7 scholarships for a 27 man roster and every scholarship must be at least 25%. Basically the state schools work to find in-state talent so they can spread the money out as efficiently as possible. But the larger point is that NO ONE is entitled to a college sports scholarship, whether they play football or volleyball.

And college basketball is such complete and total garbage right now. The NBA has rendered the college game unwatchable with the one-year rule and the lack of continuity in programs.

As bad as Wake has been the past 10 years, at least we knew who was on our roster because they had to stick around for a few years. I turn on a Duke game and I've never heard of anybody except Zion Williamson.

you get rid of college sports as the minor leagues and have it actually be amateur athletics

move what college football is to a proper minor league system

sure, it's not as much fun, but it's also much less ethically murky

college football and basketball should be what college soccer is: a competitive option for good players, but not the main path to the highest levels

you get rid of college sports as the minor leagues and have it actually be amateur athletics

move what college football is to a proper minor league system

sure, it's not as much fun, but it's also much less ethically murky
Amen. And play teams nearby- bus rides. And I say as much fun.

As much as I love and support WFU, I've had as much fun tailgating and seen an entertaining, competitive brand of football (without the endless t.v. timeouts while watching the guy with the stop watch and red shirt) at the occasional Lenoir Rhyne home game. That, and the games are always on Saturday, and usually at 1:00 p.m. so you're not getting home after midnight.
If the whole thing blew up tomorrow and went to something that looked more like FCS or DII I'd be fine with it; I'd still keep my season tickets and continue to enjoy the whole game day experience.

As I was saying....

The pay (i.e. scholarship) is the same now as it was in like the 80s right? Minus the billion dollar TV deals. So the schools are making tons more but the athlete pay is unchanged. How is that reasonable?

And the other non-revenue sports still existed back then as scholarship sports, so I’m unmoved by the excuse that football is needed to subsidize them.

college football and basketball should be what college soccer is: a competitive option for good players, but not the main path to the highest levels

The expected contraction of MiLB next year will have an impact on college baseball, and possibly other sports if more kids decide not to play baseball. I'd like to see the NCAA, as a transition move over the next 5 years, allow players with less than 3 years experience in MiLB have eligibility in baseball with each year of experience deducted from the normal 4 years of eligibility.

Back