• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

Well, technically, the cost/value of those scholarships has also gone up exponentially over the past few decades. In 1980, full year tuition at Wake was $3600 or so.

Technically yeah you’re right of course. The sticker price for Wake tuition must be like 20x that by now. But I doubt the actual marginal cost for Wake to educate one athlete approaches that sticker price.

What do you tell 50% of the athletes from non-revenue sports when 50% of the football revenue no longer exists to fund their scholarships? And should there be coaching salary caps across the board? How do you implement?

What do you tell high school soccer players?

Technically yeah you’re right of course. The sticker price for Wake tuition must be like 20x that by now. But I doubt the actual marginal cost for Wake to educate one athlete approaches that sticker price.

You're right, but, the University is foregoing that revenue to provide the education to that student athlete - plus, many of the athletes are obtaining an asset (the education) that they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

You're right, but, the University is foregoing that revenue to provide the education to that student athlete - plus, many of the athletes are obtaining an asset (the education) that they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Only if your theory is that without athletics programs, student athletes would be 1:1 replaced by students paying full freight tuition.

In actuality without the athletics programs, the total student body size would likely be a lot smaller. Which means a lot fewer people paying tuition.

What do you tell high school soccer players?

You tell them the truth. Nobody really cares about college soccer or any of these other non-revenue sports beyond their friends, families, and people really wrapped up in their alma mater.

Only if your theory is that without athletics programs, student athletes would be 1:1 replaced by students paying full freight tuition.

In actuality without the athletics programs, the total student body size would likely be a lot smaller. Which means a lot fewer people paying tuition.

You really think people would choose not to get a higher education if all athletic programs ceased to exist? Did you go to college to watch football or to get a career?

You really think people would choose not to get a higher education if all athletic programs ceased to exist? Did you go to college to watch football or to get a career?

I agree with your sentiment here, and the general sentiment of establishing a minor league for sports that warrant/need them. In general, college scholarships to come play sports at said college don't seem necessary once that's in place. Maybe some percentage scholarships (25%) across all sports since you're effectively asking students to tack on a big time commit. Maybe not if you relax on the time commit some. And college sports can go back to what it should be: for fun. Figuring out how to pay players seems about 100x harder than this.

I think there are some students (obviously not all) who would choose to go to other, cheaper colleges if Wake didn't have the draw of a big time athletics program.

You people are a bunch of Division III nutjobs.

The tuition rabbit hole has gone far enough. The schools who get $$$ from billion dollar TV deals are not breaking even because tuition sticker prices have gone up since the 80s. They’re breaking even because they’re choosing to spend it on all sorts of other amenities, salaries, etc.

It is cynical to claim that paying athletes peanuts from this cash influx will be the straw that causes all these ADs to lose money. They just don’t want to spend money on that. If money is really that tight they could cut back on the “assistant administrator to the linebacker coaches athletic training assistant” positions. Matter of priorities, no ones forcing you to blow all your cash on this stuff.

for real. I'm betting the people who like going to Lenoir-Rhyne games are the kind of people who go to high school football games for fun.

A lot of these people would also prob be cool with Wake basically becoming William & Mary or Carnegie Mellon. People don't seem understand the positive impact P5 sports have on Wake as a whole.

The tuition rabbit hole has gone far enough. The schools who get $$$ from billion dollar TV deals are not breaking even because tuition sticker prices have gone up since the 80s. They’re breaking even because they’re choosing to spend it on all sorts of other amenities, salaries, etc.

It is cynical to claim that paying athletes peanuts from this cash influx will be the straw that causes all these ADs to lose money. They just don’t want to spend money on that. If money is really that tight they could cut back on the “assistant administrator to the linebacker coaches athletic training assistant” positions. Matter of priorities, no ones forcing you to blow all your cash on this stuff.

18411be433868c6041ac1cf6f80829b321f91bbd2c1853d3841b9fbc26df2b68.jpg

this has been mentioned previously, but here is another article featuring Clawson's decision to stay away from his wife, who is a cancer survivor, during the fall season

I think there are some students (obviously not all) who would choose to go to other, cheaper colleges if Wake didn't have the draw of a big time athletics program.

True for me. I grew up watching P5 football and I wanted to go to a small P5 school that had good academics. Not many schools fit that, but Wake did. I could have saved a lot of money if I had gone to almost any other school I got into, but I wouldn't have had the combination of academics and athletics that Wake had.

A lot of these people would also prob be cool with Wake basically becoming William & Mary or Carnegie Mellon. People don't seem understand the positive impact P5 sports have on Wake as a whole.

North High Point University

so stupid

of course people realize the positive impact of football

but we also recognize the cognitive dissonance required to watch it

Back