• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

Yea...to me the most sensible thing is to hope things are better by next fall. Plan/hope for that.

Hope in one hand & poop in the other and see which one fills up first. :D Will be interesting next year as we get into a year with the vaccine, hopefully but everybody is still wearing the masks to see where we are with sports?

On the assumption that the conferences that play will have the players sign wavers, I wonder how enforceable the wavers will be. It seems a certainty that some players will get sick. If one dies or develops a severe and disabling or life-shortening myocarditis, I expect the waver will be challenged. Who might be liable? The school? The whole conference?

25 year-old apparently healthy groundskeeper for the minor league Hickory Crawdads died recently from COVID complications.

Also reports now that the SEC is trying to get the ACC and Big 12 to do a Super-Conference for this season. Basically break them up into four geographic divisions and then do some sort of playoff out of it (four champions and two at-large).

This would be an absolute shit-show. Teams will almost certainly be forced to miss games, due to the virus... and that'll throw everything (SOS, etc) off.

I don't think anybody is playing at all this season, but if we happen to... and win a few games... I'd want the team to have the final say-so in what they participate in.

This would be an absolute shit-show. Teams will almost certainly be forced to miss games, due to the virus... and that'll throw everything (SOS, etc) off.

I don't think anybody is playing at all this season, but if we happen to... and win a few games... I'd want the team to have the final say-so in what they participate in.

I’m ready for them to call the whole thing off. College football is my favorite thing to watch, my fall revolves around going to our home games and I literally watch tons of other games during the season, but it’s going to be a mess if they try to play and it’s going to seem nothing more than an exhibition season. I hate it for the kids, but I think at this point it’s for the best.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability
"Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care"

At first glance, suspicious, but how many times has a high school or college athlete died from an "undiagnosed heart condition?" They're giving these kids full workups now.

So a football player is supposed to sign a COVID waiver to play football for a school that has 20,000 college students and thousands of faculty and staff on campus ?

Well on a positive note, it appears that new cases per day in NC peaked in early July and has been trending down over the past 5 weeks. Hopefully that trend will continue. Hospitalizations have stayed the same with roughly 1,100 residents across the state hospitalized from Covid

If the ACC does play it seems like there'd be a ton of TV coverage. People are going to starving for college football. Not saying that should even be a consideration to play or not.....just thinking out loud.
Not sure what that does to the ACC network vs ACC games getting some serious priority for national games on other networks.

I honestly don't care if the Big Ten and PAC 12 play their inferior football this fall or in the spring or ever again.

Big Ten and PAC 12 are going to play an XFL season after the real season this fall.

Honestly just tell everyone but Alabama/Clemson/LSU/Ohio State to pack it in until spring, put those 4 teams in a bubble for 3 months to train and scrimmage, then play the semifinals and national championship in late November. Problem solved, season complete as it would be in normal circumstances.

Back