• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

2500 new NC cases in last 24 hours While that number is likely a function of increased testing numbers I doubt we play. Hopefully we will have some type of spring ball

4700 in GA. New high score for the state.

It might be interesting of the athletic department came out and said if you order the 6 home games (not including the ND in Charlotte) and the season is cancelled you will get all 7 home games free next year (instead of getting a refund).

The development of reliable treatments is the key. That will probably involve discovering that existing meds are effective in lessening the severity of Covid especially among the older population. Apparently that is happening; but will it happen quickly enough?

The development of reliable treatments is the key. That will probably involve discovering that existing meds are effective in lessening the severity of Covid especially among the older population. Apparently that is happening; but will it happen quickly enough?

What I'm hearing from public health professionals is there won't be anything until the end of the year and it's probably a year before things return to close to "normal."

What I'm hearing from public health professionals is there won't be anything until the end of the year and it's probably a year before things return to close to "normal."

Not encouraging, even for Spring football. The NCAA will have a huge job in deciding about extending senior eligibility and allowing transfers, etc.

Sounds like there maybe a vaccine before there is a reliable treatment.

Last edited:
2500 new NC cases in last 24 hours While that number is likely a function of increased testing numbers I doubt we play. Hopefully we will have some type of spring ball

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard
Unfortunately, no. The slight increase in the number of tests does not account for the recent increasing number of positive tests.

Effective treatments for viral illnesses are relatively rare and usually the result of years of research. An effective treatment for COVID19 is not likely any time soon, if at all. The relatively low death rate (Slightly less than 2% of symptomatic positive cases ) in the United States is likely due to effective ICU support of critically ill people and a relatively high percentage of cases in younger, healthier people.

a vaccine is probably our fastest way out of this pandemic. I expect that production of a vaccine will be very rapid once one is available, but would be pleasantly surprised if this occurred any time in 2020.

I would be concerned if my children were going back to college to live in a dormitory, let alone playing a contact sport.

I was trying to suggest that the 2500 number is a snapshot of a day or group of days in the past when the tests were taken and not an accurate report of the actual number of newly acquired infections since the day before. Not that it really matters if the numbers are trending upward regardless of the lag time.

Do bodies stack up in refrigerated trucks outside hospitals during rough influenza seasons?

The lethality of covid is NOT 0.1% in the US right now. According to John Hopkins, in the US it is currently 3.8% of all confirmed cases. If YOU WANT TO GUESS that there are 10X more infections than reported, then the mortality rate is 0.38%. I defer to experts in all aspects of this, but I have yet to hear an epidemiologist say that this is just influenza. Nobody is saying that. Besides "a Swiss doctor on Covid." The most subdued analysis would suggest that it is 4x worse than a bad influenza season.

We have lost 1 out of every 380 persons living in NYC since the start of the pandemic ... SO FAR. I believe nationally the number is 1 out of 1,250. That's not influenza.

careful. You are using logic, fact and data. Most of the snowflakes on here will hyper-ventilate as ordered by comrads Schumer, Crepe skinned-Pelosi and dimwitted AOC.

Sorry... I know this is wrong place... But those that think this isn't real... Please tell that to my three students here in indy who tested positive and took it home to their grandparents who are all now dead! These kids now have to live with this the rest of their lives!

Jaybone is correct. The mortality rate among symptomatic people in the United States is about 3.7%. My number of just under 2% ( 1.7% actually) is the mortality rate for North Carolina only.

Public health officials will talk about 3 classes of infections.
Symptomatic infections -that is easy to understand
Pre-symptomatic infections -that refers to people who have active viral infections and are destined to developed symptoms but have not as yet developed these symptoms.
Asymptomatic infections- this refers to people who have active viral infections but have no symptoms and are destined to never have symptoms.

It appears that both pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic people can spread the virus. There is some question as to whether asymptomatic people are as contagious as pre-symptomatic people, but there is no question that asymptomatic people are contagious to some degree.
There is some evidence ( including a study done through Wake Forest with local population, mostly Forsyth and Guilford County residents) that the asymptomatic infection rate may be 5-10 times the symptomatic infection rate. This is good in that asymptomatic people likely develop some immunity and contribute to overall "herd immunity". It is bad in that it makes tracking more difficult and makes control of spread of the infection significantly more difficult.

Bottom line: Please wear masks. Just because you do not have symptoms does not mean you are not spreading the virus.

Back