• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

FWIW—

We’re not getting tickets this year or attending any games even if played.

Still giving to university and Deacon Club.

I don't think there will be any fans for college or pro this year. At this point, I'd be shocked if baseball even starts later this week.

I don't think there will be any fans for college or pro this year. At this point, I'd be shocked if baseball even starts later this week.

Yeah, I don't either, it's just wishful thinking at this point.

Good grief.

That’s terrible information.

I agree.... here's a little snippet...

"In many countries, up to two thirds of all extra deaths occurred in nursing homes, which do not benefit from a general lockdown. Moreover, in many cases it is not clear whether these people really died from Covid-19 or from weeks of extreme stress and isolation."

Has this guy ever been to a nursing home? Pre Covid there was already extreme stress and isolation.

I agree.... here's a little snippet...

"In many countries, up to two thirds of all extra deaths occurred in nursing homes, which do not benefit from a general lockdown. Moreover, in many cases it is not clear whether these people really died from Covid-19 or from weeks of extreme stress and isolation."

Has this guy ever been to a nursing home? Pre Covid there was already extreme stress and isolation.

While I agree, it is a stretch to say that people have died from "extreme stress and isolation," that is an awful even if necessary effect of all this. You've got people in nursing homes that haven't been able to be visited by their children or other family and friends for months now. Especially hard for those that may not have the mental capability of understanding exactly what is going on with Covid and may think they've been abandoned. Just a sad situation really.

My mother chose to go to an assisted living facility, even though she was in good health and completely with it, because of all the social activities offered. She loved everything about it until March when they basically went on lockdown...no more communal dining, music, card games, exercise classes or happy hour. I think she's clinically depressed and she says she feels like she's incarcerated.

My aunt turns 90 this week. Her health took a turn for the worse a few weeks after quarantining started because she couldn’t get visitors anymore. Before the quarantine her 91 year old husband could visit everyday and spend as much time as he wanted. (He is still in good health and volunteers every day).
She has tons of children, grands, great grands, and great great grants who used to come by regularly.

About a month ago she transferred to a facility about an hour away where her granddaughter is the head nurse. She gets to see family every day and they allow outside social distanced and masked visitors. She’s doing much better.

My aunt turns 90 this week. Her health took a turn for the worse a few weeks after quarantining started because she couldn’t get visitors anymore. Before the quarantine her 91 year old husband could visit everyday and spend as much time as he wanted. (He is still in good health and volunteers every day).
She has tons of children, grands, great grands, and great great grants who used to come by regularly.

About a month ago she transferred to a facility about an hour away where her granddaughter is the head nurse. She gets to see family every day and they allow outside social distanced and masked visitors. She’s doing much better.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing Ph.

Thanks. Additional positive note. The new facility is only about 15 minutes away from my parents. So they’re able to visit regularly.

Great great grandchildren........wow.

That is a wow! Hearing about Ph's aunt made my day yesterday, love hearing uplifting positive things these days, nice break from all the negative we hear 24/7.

Wonderful story.

I wear a mask at all times when in public. Ordered them early and gave to family and friends in late March.

The link was from a friend who is a "83 grad of WFSM (Bowman Gray).

According to the CDC the death rate has continued down since a high on May 2nd. I think it's reasonable to be hopeful the death rate may very well hit in the 1% range for the U.S. It has dropped from the 5s to the 3s so far with increased testing.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
(The total death counts are a week behind. IOW, the latest figure of 300s for 7/18 will go up by the end of this week.)

I have a close friend in his 70s that contracted it. Fever for 1-2 days with headache. He's fine now.

My 19 y.o. daughter was exposed at a friend's house. She was with the friend a whole day in close proximity. She tested negative. The friend"s 80 y.o. grandparent tested positive but is doing fine.

I share these stories just to say it doesn't appear to be as sever for some, even in high-risk populations.

Last edited:
We need to be cautious, of course.

I'd like to see a Dec-March 7-8 game season, no fans or max 100 fans, but just can't see how basketball or football will pull this off, unfortunately.

Damn, Ph, that's totally awesome!

I can't see how you can responsibly have fall sports, or basketball.

Back