• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

Pac-12 planning on a 10-game conference only schedule starting September 19.

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2020/07/pac-12-planning-for-10-game-football-season-source-confirms.html

Think that the Power V conferences are going to move ahead and try to play football this Fall until the virus starts taking rosters out. The ACC will incorporate ND into their conference schedule, and the SEC/ACC will play the one traditional rivalry game that involves teams from both conferences: Clemson/SC, FSU/Florida, GaT/UGA, L'ville/KY. Speculating that those games will count in the conference standings, so that everyone will play the same number of games that count. For those teams without an out of conference traditional rival, they will just play an additional conference game. Think most conferences will adopt a 10 game plan. Seems unlikely that every school will make it through the season, but we shall see as keeping the virus contained among 100 man football team (plus another 100 or more in support personnel) playing a full contact sport verges on the inconceivable. Then, add in the fact that these 200+ football people are mingling on a college campus with thousands of others and the venture seems unlikely to end well. Even so, looks like they will try.

Too many $$$ at stake not to try.

Last edited:
Too many $$$ at stake not to try.

Yes, I would not have predicted this scenario from the ACC, but applaud that they are giving it a shot. It will be interesting whether fans are initially allowed— I wonder if that will be left up to each individual school. Also , we will never hear in the press, since every case is different, but you know Hatch has some rigid criteria in his back pocket regarding what it will take to shut it down .

I also thought the pricing was pretty weird on it, as I thought they would sell a lot more subscriptions at $99 rather than $180. One of my friends made the observation that this sets them up to offer the virtual season ticket for a discounted price (i.e., $99) to season ticket holders in the event that they have to hold games without fans.

Should have been free for DC members after so many of us wrote checks this spring.

I can't find it now, but yesterday I thought I read that Clemson is delaying fall sports by 4 weeks. Not sure if that included football or not. I, like everyone I guess, would like something definitive. Tough when things change daily. Hell, the MLB regular season starts tonight and the Blue Jays don't have a home stadium.

No students on campus until Sept 15

Full story on the virtual season ticket.

If nothing else, it's a cutting-edge concept that was going to arrive sooner or later. I'll likely have a follow story next week going into experimental nature of it.

They are going to have to work really hard to convince people that an hour-long livecam stream of the field before the game is worth $30 a pop.

And who’s going to produce the additional content? Lots of complaints in the past about Raycom’s shoddy production, and they are actual TV professionals.

Planning to play in the Fall could be a worse outcome than just waiting for the Spring.

Conferences should plan to practice between exams and Christmas and then start the season with a slate of New Year’s Day weekend games.  Obviously, up north schools will have to figure something out, but I’m sure FL, TX, and So Cal will be happy to host games.

Planning to play in the Fall could be a worse outcome than just waiting for the Spring.

Conferences should plan to practice between exams and Christmas and then start the season with a slate of New Year’s Day weekend games.  Obviously, up north schools will have to figure something out, but I’m sure FL, TX, and So Cal will be happy to host games.

Lots of problems with football in the Spring:

1) Not viable for a large section of the country because of weather; it doesn't start to warm up in the midwest until May;
2) Practicing inside would be a lot more prevalent, which increases the chances of a spread;
3) Elite draft eligible players aren't going to play with NFL draft in the Spring, mini-camps right after and then a 16 game NFL schedule in the Fall of 2021.
4) So, we are going to ask non-draft eligible football players to play a full schedule in the Spring, and then turn around a full season in the Fall -- essentially 25+ games in calendar 2021?

The decision to play in the Spring may ultimately be the only alternative (which then again may also be cancelled if conditions have not improved), but trying to play a limited Fall schedule is worth a shot for now.

It's also looking likely that we won't have a vaccine and large scale suppression of the virus until later in 2021.

I love college football more than any other sport, but it’s getting to the point I’m almost wishing they just cancel this season and hopefully have a normal 2021 season. I’ve got major championship golf to get me through fall and college football in the spring just doesn’t seem right.

We are in the midst of a massive wave fueled by transmission among 20-29 year olds a month right before Fall practice. FL, TX, GA, and CA are the hardest hit. It’s hard to see a college football season happening. If it does, it probably won’t finish which will cut off the possibility of a Spring season.

We are in the midst of a massive wave fueled by transmission among 20-29 year olds a month right before Fall practice. FL, TX, GA, and CA are the hardest hit. It’s hard to see a college football season happening. If it does, it probably won’t finish which will cut off the possibility of a Spring season.

I am in the midst of a ton of family time, none of which has been distracted by any sports other than perhaps Christian Pulisic. Honestly, I am so sure the NBA is going to be derailed in six months when some deep run playoff team gets sidelined because someone snuck outside the bubble (I hope it is a woman next time, and not chicken wings - even Richaun Holmes' Mom dissed him on twitter for that), that I can't even gin up genuine interest in the NBA.

So, PH, you are telling me that when work in the office returns I am going to get inundated with college football, college basketball, next year's NBA season, and perhaps the remnants of the NFL season???? Good lord, that feels like pulling down an old sweater from the top shelf only to have all six sweaters come tumbling down. I'll probably just pick Wake and Patrick Mahomes and ignore everything else.

They are going to have to work really hard to convince people that an hour-long livecam stream of the field before the game is worth $30 a pop.

And who’s going to produce the additional content? Lots of complaints in the past about Raycom’s shoddy production, and they are actual TV professionals.

I am a die-hard Deacon but I must admit it seems desperate for money to me
I laughed.

This is one of the biggest unanswered questions I've got. They've got more TV-types around campus since the introduction of the ACC Network, so I feel like production quality will be OK. But -- at least to my knowledge -- none of them are TV-types who will go on camera for an hour, walking through campus and tailgates and such, creating interest for an hour.

Has there been any Wake-specific content produced for ACC Network?

After one year. No Wake content after one year. Pathetic.

ACC Commissioner is Wellman. You have Notre Dame by the balls, and they get to say it will be like it used to be. Fuck these assholes. We still bow down. Go get your own fucking schedule.

Back