• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football issues

They are going to have to work really hard to convince people that an hour-long livecam stream of the field before the game is worth $30 a pop.

And who’s going to produce the additional content? Lots of complaints in the past about Raycom’s shoddy production, and they are actual TV professionals.

Wake is really missing the boat if they don't source out some of this the UNCSA. Work with them to set up UNCSA film projects to do this. Since they offer a full spectrum of behind the camera specialties as well as actors it could be a nice crossover for both schools. UNCSA can offer people behind the camera as well in front. They can pretty much to the whole package.

Last edited:
Another gem by Ed Hardin. https://journalnow.com/sports/ed-hardin-learning-lessons-in-a-wild-week-in-college-football/article_31ddb731-e4dc-5ab1-93d7-77986d284e30.html.
“The game is too expensive in the current model. Coaches make way too much money. Facilities are obscene. Conferences are way too scattered. Travel costs are exorbitant.”.
College fb was just as much fun in the 20th century. Even when freshmen could not play varsity team.

As much as I love and support WFU, I've had as much fun tailgating and seen an entertaining, competitive brand of football (without the endless t.v. timeouts while watching the guy with the stop watch and red shirt) at the occasional Lenoir Rhyne home game. That, and the games are always on Saturday, and usually at 1:00 p.m. so you're not getting home after midnight.
If the whole thing blew up tomorrow and went to something that looked more like FCS or DII I'd be fine with it; I'd still keep my season tickets and continue to enjoy the whole game day experience.

Another gem by Ed Hardin. https://journalnow.com/sports/ed-hardin-learning-lessons-in-a-wild-week-in-college-football/article_31ddb731-e4dc-5ab1-93d7-77986d284e30.html.
“The game is too expensive in the current model. Coaches make way too much money. Facilities are obscene. Conferences are way too scattered. Travel costs are exorbitant.”.
College fb was just as much fun in the 20th century. Even when freshmen could not play varsity team.

Never really been a fan of Hardin, but this is a good article.
At present, I don’t see football happening this fall. If so, how will that effect football in the future and how will it effect all other college sports due to lack of funding. Major upheavals coming.

Not a huge Hardin fan either, but that one is well written. Makes you wonder, of course, why Brown is the only coach he quotes.

Hopefully Wake will be somewhat transparent in reporting test results, although I realize they don’t have to. Duke reported Friday in the N&O, with 25 athletes, although not necessarily (but likely) football players.

Not a huge Hardin fan either, but that one is well written. Makes you wonder, of course, why Brown is the only coach he quotes.

Because UNC has had Brown available on Zooms about once every two weeks since the pandemic started.

i hope the Pac-12 cancels their season and rescinds the scholarships of these players.

So you’re fine with football teaching boys to be men as long as they don’t learn to stick up for themselves.

So you’re fine with football teaching boys to be men as long as they don’t learn to stick up for themselves.

Standing up for themselves when needed is one thing, being unreasonably demanding is something entirely different. Supposedly they are students getting a free ride for playing football. How much is a full scholarship worth at Stanford? If they want to be paid, let them go to Canada or join the NFL.

Why the smart a.. remark?

Black men who want to be compensated and to work in safe conditions are “unreasonably demanding.” Ok.

That’s not a new argument, mebane. How are they going to become men if you treat them like boys?

The Pac-12 has as many football players identify as white as they do black. More identify as other.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/ncaa-demographics-database

The main demand is reasonably about Covid. it's after that which causes issues:

The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.

Huma said the players are aware that if the Pac-12 met their demands that the conference would not be eligible to participate in NCAA-sanctioned competitions or championships.

"Right now, it's clear that the conferences don't need the NCAA. Each conference is an industry unto itself," Huma said. "[The players are saying,] 'We're fine if our conference doesn't belong to the NCAA at all. We need to be treated fairly.'"

Getting kicked out of the NCAA is not a reasonable demand.

Last edited:
The cognitive dissonance for the "they get a scholarship, so they are compensated!!!!!" crowd is really something to see.

Keeping up your end of a contract is part of becoming an adult. Having said that, free market libertarians everywhere should appreciate that the options available to the players are limited. Whatever happened to the attempts to unionize college athletes that a kid from Northwestern (I think) started?

Renegotiating an unfavorable contract is part of being an adult, too.

Renegotiating an unfavorable contract is part of being an adult, too.

No it's not - living up to a signed contract is being an adult.

Would colleges be acting like 'an adult', if they said - 'we are going to cancel all scholarships (signed contracts) for this 2020 due to the pandemic'?

LOL. Asking for a raise isn’t an adult thing to do?

Back