• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Lewis, civil rights icon, congressman, dead at 80

Very good. Why the fuck is a hs named after REL?!?

Plenty of schools are named after Confederates. In my area, Robert E. Lee Elementary was about 2/3 Black students and only about 10% White. It was named that back in the 40s at the same time the street it was on was named Columbus Dr.

The school was destroyed in a fire (yeah symbolic) and renamed after the neighborhood upon reopening.

Will be interesting to see if Washington and Lee considers a name change but doubtful considering its history

There haven’t been many Black lawmakers.

The more I think about it, good. keep him the fuck away he doesn’t deserve to be there

As of right now, he said he won't be attending and is headed to NC for a rally I assume: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...ying-in-state-of-civil-rights-icon-john-lewis

No surprise, he's certainly petty and small enough, and he's never seen himself as president of all the people. He's always just been the POTUS of the people that voted for him and worship him. Everyone else can go to hell. A more traditional POTUS would attend such a funeral to represent all Americans and as a symbolic act of national unity, but that's simply beyond him.

Last edited:
lol buddy do I got some news for you
http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Highway

For some fascinating reason, reverence for the Confederate cause is deep and wide throughout American history. It's a real mystery.

Its not that much of a mystery. The "Jim Crow" south existed for over 100 years. It still exists in the minds of some. Schools and other locations for confederate generals was part of it. Naming schools after confederate generals was especially popular in some states after the Supreme Court made school segregation illegal.

Its not that much of a mystery. The "Jim Crow" south existed for over 100 years. It still exists in the minds of some. Schools and other locations for confederate generals was part of it. Naming schools after confederate generals was especially popular in some states after the Supreme Court made school segregation illegal.

I believe that Georgia put the Confederate flag onto their state flag as a response to the civil rights movement and Supreme Court anti-segregation decisions in the 50s, and finally changed the flag again without the Confederate Stars and Bars around 2001, I think.

I was being overly sarcastic - it's very clearly a racist society that wanted to memorialize and maintain Jim Crow-era white supremacy with literal and figurative monuments. Its wild to me that yesterdays racists proudly built racism into the American infrastructure, but their children and grandchildren will deny the existence of systemic racism like Peter denying Jesus.

JOHN LEWIS: Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation

Emmett Till was my George Floyd. He was my Rayshard Brooks, Sandra Bland and Breonna Taylor. He was 14 when he was killed, and I was only 15 years old at the time. I will never ever forget the moment when it became so clear that he could easily have been me. In those days, fear constrained us like an imaginary prison, and troubling thoughts of potential brutality committed for no understandable reason were the bars.

:( why did anyone let bill speak

Back