• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Lewis, civil rights icon, congressman, dead at 80

Not a coincidence that Bill Clinton's career was foundational to the Dixiecrat movement.

Either you are trying to be sarcastic, and I am missing it, or you are badly, badly misunderstanding the history of the Dixiecrat movement.

Bill Clinton was two years old when the "Dixiecrat" movement ran Strom Thurmond for president. The Dixiecrats were extreme conservative, white supremacist offshoot of the Democratic Party in many southern states. After the 1948 election, they mostly returned to the Democratic Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat

Either you are trying to be sarcastic, and I am missing it, or you are badly, badly misunderstanding the history of the Dixiecrat movement.

Bill Clinton was two years old when the "Dixiecrat" movement ran Strom Thurmond for president. The Dixiecrats were extreme conservative, white supremacist offshoot of the Democratic Party in many southern states. After the 1948 election, they mostly returned to the Democratic Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat

You're right - I mixed up terms and incorrectly referenced Dixiecrats when I was referring to New Democrats/Third Way

Last edited:
Obama is such a stud. Trump could learn a lot about how to properly speak by watching him.

Of course he won’t since he black. What a fucking pathetic loser.

Obama is such a stud. Trump could learn a lot about how to properly speak by watching him.

Of course he won’t since he black. What a fucking pathetic loser.

The majority of white people in this country disapproved of Obama at the end of his presidency.

After eight years, people feel slighted and approval ratings fall. I didn't like his foreign policy and thought he spent too much.

I'd rate him a good President now after time has set in and he has been so diplomatic. I also didn't imagine the fuck up that would follow.

I also liked Clinton and Bush, like Obama, early on and soured on them only to have a better opinion of them after they left office. AS we can see now, being President is fucking hard.

No shit.

But it’s another thing altogether to be a creepy asshole megalomaniac narcissistic idiot your whole life and to somehow still become the freaking potus.

Thx Republicans.

I gotta wonder if when Rep. John Lewis requested Bill Clinton speak at his funeral, he expected Bill would basically call him "one of the good blacks" as opposed to the more radical Kwame Ture. I doubt it. Seems like a pretty fucking tone deaf argument to make in 2020.

I don’t think people request Bill Clinton speaks at things. He just shows up and starts talking about people just let him because he was President.

Here is Obama's eulogy of John Lewis. I know he gets a lot of hate on these boards from the left and the right. There is no one else in our political sphere who sums up a moment and connects it to a larger vision like Barack Obama.

Last edited:
I gotta wonder if when Rep. John Lewis requested Bill Clinton speak at his funeral, he expected Bill would basically call him "one of the good blacks" as opposed to the more radical Kwame Ture. I doubt it. Seems like a pretty fucking tone deaf argument to make in 2020.

"But...but...but... it's not a racist statement when OUR team does it" - The Tunnels Libs

"But...but...but... it's not a racist statement when OUR team does it" - The Tunnels Libs

that's a very interesting comment considering that you very likely agree with Bill Clinton. White people don't have any place policing black activism, but they sure love to do it. Whatever disagreements that John Lewis had with Stokely Carmichael's Black Power radicalism, were his own - and it's not for me or Bill Fucking Clinton to make a judgment call on that.

That moderation respectability politics bullshit is just another shade of whites telling Black people that "Black Lives Matter" isn't an effective message because it's too divisive. "It's OK for the protestors to stand peacefully on the roped off sidewalk for these designated hours, but break the rules and its a riot and you get the teargas, and now you're "hurting the cause".

John Lewis and MLK Jr and innumerable other Black Americans made the choice to get beaten and risk their lives for the strategy of a non-violent cause that would publicly highlight the violent immorality of white supremacy. There were many black activist leaders at the time who logically did not agree to that strategy. It's perverse for white people to judge those decisions.

Last edited:
I don’t think people request Bill Clinton speaks at things. He just shows up and starts talking about people just let him because he was President.

Here is Obama's eulogy of John Lewis. I know he gets a lot of hate on these boards from the left and the right. There is no one else in our political sphere who sums up a moment and connects it to a larger vision like Barack Obama.

That was a tremendous speech. I don't think there's any question that Obama is the best orator of this political generation. Whatever one thinks of Bill Clinton, and I hadn't seen him in awhile, he didn't look or sound well at all. I know he's 74 now, but I thought George W. Bush, who is almost exactly the same age, looked and sounded much healthier and stronger.

So Barry uses a eulogy at John Lewis' funeral to call for eliminating the filibuster because it's a relic from Jim Crow?

Someone needs to let him know that his Democratic party in the Senate just used this racist relic from Jim Crow to stifle Tim Scott's police reform bill.

that's a very interesting comment considering that you very likely agree with Bill Clinton. White people don't have any place policing black activism, but they sure love to do it. Whatever disagreements that John Lewis had with Stokely Carmichael's Black Power radicalism, were his own - and it's not for me or Bill Fucking Clinton to make a judgment call on that.

That moderation respectability politics bullshit is just another shade of whites telling Black people that "Black Lives Matter" isn't an effective message because it's too divisive. "It's OK for the protestors to stand peacefully on the roped off sidewalk for these designated hours, but break the rules and its a riot and you get the teargas, and now you're "hurting the cause".

John Lewis and MLK Jr and innumerable other Black Americans made the choice to get beaten and risk their lives for the strategy of a non-violent cause that would publicly highlight the violent immorality of white supremacy. There were many black activist leaders at the time who logically did not agree to that strategy. It's perverse for white people to judge those decisions.

Compare the substance of an angus post and an mdmh post.

Obama was great. But in their prime, Clinton was incredible.

Last edited:
The kids are alright.

Back