• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Lewis, civil rights icon, congressman, dead at 80

He asked Obama for his autograph at the inauguration and Obama wrote “Because of you, John. - Barack Obama”

I got to hear John Lewis speak at the Atlanta Women’s March in January 2017. It was great.

One of the greatest Americans. Really don't have much more to say right now - for anyone with any ties to Atlanta, today has been a horribly sad day.

I met him in Atlanta a few months after writing a paper about SNCC when I was at Wake

thoughts out to his family

Obama tweeted out his condolences and a short Medium article memorializing Lewis at 1:25 am.

Almost 13 hours later Trump tweeted his condolences.

But that’s not as bad as Marco Rubio.

Marco Rubio can’t tell one Black colleague from another. He tweeted a picture of him with Rep. Elijah Cummings (who passed away last year) in his condolences for Rep. John Lewis’ death early this morning.

This is why we have to specifically state that Black Lives Matter. Two Black men represented this country for decades and this senator couldn’t be bothered to tell them apart.

How can we expect people like Rubio to respect our lives when he doesn’t even respect our deaths?

Lewis was a customer and my dads DC bike shop back in the day. My dad knew his story and made a point of me meeting him and I think his son. He would come in every few months and we would chat about the state of affairs. He knew I went to Wake and asked me about it when he came in.

Bush:

"Laura and I join our fellow Americans in mourning the loss of Congressman John Lewis. As a young man marching for equality in Selma, Alabama, John answered brutal violence with courageous hope. And throughout his career as a civil rights leader and public servant, he worked to make our country a more perfect union. America can best honor John's memory by continuing his journey toward liberty and justice for all."

Back